Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If England fail to qualify...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Here's a hypothetical for you: IF England fail to reach the World Cup in Brazil, Hodgson would have to go. Who then takes over as England manager?

Tricky.

Why does he have to go? Especially as there is no stand-out candidate to replace him.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Why does he have to go? Especially as there is no stand-out candidate to replace him.

This. Even if we don't end up qualifying, I would still be quite surprised to see him given the old tin tack.

Last edited:

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Terry Venables. The last manager to get us playing attractive football. It was a joy to watch during euro 96.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hmm, don't think 'Arry would be considered :bla:

This caused me to chuckle heartily in agreement this morning:

Jose Bosingwa said:
He's frustrated. He thinks he's a bit [like] Alex Ferguson, talks everyday, more than him, but there's a difference: in all his long career he's only won one trophy.

He doesn't seem to know what he's saying. He's a bit confused. It could be age.

I do hate that clown Redknapp.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

This.

I don't think that we have such a strong squad that failure to qualify represents a sacking. I think he'd get the Euro campaign as well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
His position would be completely untenable, he'd have to go.
Why would it be untenable? I would hope that he would be kept on and that England, for once, might develop a long-term strategy. Sacking him would be madness, especially as there is no obvious replacement. However I know that sanity and planning won't be part of the equation and he probably will get sacked, after all changing the manager always works SO well doesn't it? We go from strength to strength.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Why would it be untenable? I would hope that he would be kept on and that England, for once, might develop a long-term strategy. Sacking him would be madness, especially as there is no obvious replacement. However I know that sanity and planning won't be part of the equation and he probably will get sacked, after all changing the manager always works SO well doesn't it? We go from strength to strength.

I don't expect England to win the World Cup but I do expect us to qualify. IF we don't, then Hodgson would, I think, have to go as he'd be forever associated with failure, especially as it's a relatively easy group unlike the last England manager who failed to qualify, Graham Taylor, who had Holland in his way.

I agree with you on long term strategy but you have to have the right people in place. England could do a lot worse than look to Gary Neville. Young and bright.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I would not sack Roy Hodgson. The England team is in a transitional stage after the previous group failed to live up to the usual inflated expectations.

Roy Hodgson has a strong history in getting the best out of average teams. I'd leave in charge for as long as he wants, to be frank.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I don't expect England to win the World Cup but I do expect us to qualify. IF we don't, then Hodgson would, I think, have to go as he'd be forever associated with failure, especially as it's a relatively easy group unlike the last England manager who failed to qualify, Graham Taylor, who had Holland in his way.

I agree with you on long term strategy but you have to have the right people in place. England could do a lot worse than look to Gary Neville. Young and bright.

I wouldn't consider Ukraine, Poland and Montenegro as an 'easy' group. We are not Spain.

This is the problem, we assume too much. I remember back in 2006 I was laughed at when I suggested that England would find their Euro 2008 group quite tough...

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Hodgson won't go.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I agree with you about our realistic targets, and I agree that Gary Neville is 'young and bright'. But would he be any good as a manager? Hodgson at least has a track record - and it's not too shabby. IF we sacked him and IF we appointed Neville we'd have to give him at least eight years, but it would be a gamble and then if he got sacked early we're back to where we started.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Only one man for this job......

A former Manchester United apprentice as a winger, his playing career involved brief spells with Bolton Wanderers, Luton Town and Leyton Orient, before he retired prematurely due to injury.

He has managed Dunstable Town, Bedford Town, Maidstone United, Southend United, Barnet, Birmingham City and Peterborough United.

Legend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here