Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If away was home...one of the best seasons ever...

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
y. What do you think would be the impact ?

On the back of our incredible home run, Barber sees the rise in demand for home tickets as an opportunity to increase home ticket prices by an eye watering 150%.
Potter gets the Man Utd job....... Lamptey gets poached by Newcastle........ Webster and Dunk get selected for England only to suffer a double injury blow and miss the entire season 22/23 which leads to relegation!!!

All down to you and your pesky imagination!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Its not though is it.
Its just a thread about comparing our home form to away form and how that impacts on your perception of the season. And the atmosphere at home games.
These games have actually happened...and we did draw away at home at Anfield so speculating on if that had happened at the Amex is not that wild an idea. But fine if you don't want to play along !!

Home, away or playing on the moon, 3 wins in 22 is shit and demoralising. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. We don’t score, we’re crap at home and the season is coming off the rails pretty rapidly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Might be more inspiring and relaxing to silence opposing fans rather than playing in front of conditional support who you know are going to turn against you if things go bad.

Home fans create the home advantage. If you have no home advantage, its because the home fans didnt create it.

:fishing:

Go on then, I'll have a chomp.

Part of home advantage is knowing the pitch, having a short journey to the ground from your own home, having a routine you can depend on, fans bullying the ref and, in the case of players like Maupay and Dunk, thriving off the away fans' venom as much as the home fans' support.

That support will be forthcoming when we start playing decent football, scoring goals and winning games at home. Right now the club are losing those fans.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Might be more inspiring and relaxing to silence opposing fans rather than playing in front of conditional support who you know are going to turn against you if things go bad.

Home fans create the home advantage. If you have no home advantage, its because the home fans didnt create it.

I would say the level of home support at the Amex has been pretty good considering the abysmal home record and even when it is good it has not lifted things on the pitch.

Players have to be on the front foot at home as well which we have not mastered yet whereas when we are away other teams do which seems to suit the way we play.

Teams know if you come to Brighton and sit back and stay organised we lack the quality to break them down and they punish us on the break.

Weirdly I feel more optimistic for tomorrow than I did for Villa as Liverpool will have a go but now I have said that we will no doubt get smashed 5-0!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I would say the level of home support at the Amex has been pretty good considering the abysmal home record and even when it is good it has not lifted things on the pitch.

Players have to be on the front foot at home as well which we have not mastered yet whereas when we are away other teams do which seems to suit the way we play.

Teams know if you come to Brighton and sit back and stay organised we lack the quality to break them down and they punish us on the break.

Weirdly I feel more optimistic for tomorrow than I did for Villa as Liverpool will have a go but now I have said that we will no doubt get smashed 5-0!

Additionally, we beat Brentford 2-0 with hardly anyone in the ground at all!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Home, away or playing on the moon, 3 wins in 22 is shit and demoralising. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. We don’t score, we’re crap at home and the season is coming off the rails pretty rapidly.

Blimey all I’ve done is start a thread about what fans might feel if our away games and performances had been at the Amex.

And vice Versa.

Is that not a legitimate thing to talk about ? Why is that ? How much does points win affect atmosphere or last minute goals ? Some of those away games have been terrific as a fan to go to. Some of my favourite moments as a fan for years. Wouod our perception of the season be very different. ? With 33 points but most of em earned at home …

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Part of home advantage is knowing the pitch, having a short journey to the ground from your own home, having a routine you can depend on, fans bullying the ref and, in the case of players like Maupay and Dunk, thriving off the away fans' venom as much as the home fans' support.

That support will be forthcoming when we start playing decent football, scoring goals and winning games at home. Right now the club are losing those fans.

There was no home advantage in the league during the Covid-season so the knowing the pitch and having a short journey things appears to have very limited role. Home fans obviously make a difference though.

Yes I know this is how you think it should work... others may say that when things are not going well, the team needs the support even more. Being spectators that cheer a good performance is what they do in the theatre and similar, being a supporter means supporting the team, not waiting for it to give you something to cheer for.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Think we need a survey on this one. Why not suggest it to your boss?

You can bore me with this sort of stuff on every thread I contribute to - Im long in the tooth . I don’t mind. But I do wonder how it makes other fans who might want to contribute to NSC , have legitimate chats about how we feel as fans and debate this and that , even respond to my nonsense - when they see they might risk getting this sort of nonsense every time they pop up. Can’t we drop it ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm sure they would find something to moan about regardless.

We've been playing decent football, just not converting chances like we appear to have done away in quite a few games. The draws against Arsenal, Leeds, Palace, Chelsea, just 4 off the top of my head, I thought we were excellent, against Chelsea some of the best football I can remember a Brighton side playing, against Arsenal a 2 or 3 nil win wouldn't have flattered us.

It's not that difficult to explain. We look good at home against the better sides, because home or away their fans expect them to attack. Many sides go away though with no expectations, and with our problems in front of goal, setting up not to concede is, and continues to be a very decent approach against us at the Amex. Away from home the opposition have to be more adventurous, and so we get to play, and perhaps there is less pressure on the players not being in front of their own fans.

It's a very decent point from [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], and I think highlights that some of the players do suffer with a lack of confidence in the last third and that is exasperated by the pressure of being at home.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Everton, Brentford , Palace, West Ham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Burnley, Watford ...had been home fixtures this season and at the Amex we'd all be saying this was one of the best (if not the best) PL seasons we'd ever had , the Amex atmosphere would be transformed and everything would be different.
Can you imagine 4 last minute winners/equalisers but in front of the North Stand.

What if we'd drew 1-1 at home with Palace and Chelsea? What if we beat watford 2-0 at home? Things would be so different.
The fans would be much happier to see us beat Brentford at home 1-0 instead of whatever the home result was.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You can bore me with this sort of stuff on every thread I contribute to - Im long in the tooth . I don’t mind. But I do wonder how it makes other fans who might want to contribute to NSC , have legitimate chats about how we feel as fans and debate this and that , even respond to my nonsense - when they see they might risk getting this sort of nonsense every time they pop up. Can’t we drop it ?

I'll be happy to drop it soon as you put your hands up to your relationship with the club. Fair play they want someone steadying the good ship Albion on NSC fact-wise. And fair play for that, you're doing a grand job. But the fact that your start date on NSC is about a week later than PB was appointed strongly suggests you're a bit more than yer run-of-the-mill longtime fan. Your social media influencer type job description strongly suggests exactly the same. And where's your pre-Barber posts? Us long in the tooth fans have had a few things to discuss these past 20 years.

You put your hands up to being a Barber Bot influencer over and above being a maybe genuine fan, I'll happily drop it. Deal?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There was no home advantage in the league during the Covid-season so the knowing the pitch and having a short journey things appears to have very limited role. Home fans obviously make a difference though.

Yes I know this is how you think it should work... others may say that when things are not going well, the team needs the support even more. Being spectators that cheer a good performance is what they do in the theatre and similar, being a supporter means supporting the team, not waiting for it to give you something to cheer for.

Yep, there you go again, blaming a set of supporters you've never met in a ground you've never been to and assuming that the background noise you hear on your stream is an accurate reflection of what's going on in all four stands. It can't possibly be the fault of the multi millionaire players or the tactics that allow the smaller away sides to sit back and low block the centre of the pitch.

Atmosphere was electric when we played Palace. Really, really loud. And we drew, scoring with a late own goal. On the other hand we beat Brentford in front of nobody.

I
We've been playing decent football, just not converting chances like we appear to have done away in quite a few games. The draws against Arsenal, Leeds, Palace, Chelsea, just 4 off the top of my head, I thought we were excellent, against Chelsea some of the best football I can remember a Brighton side playing, against Arsenal a 2 or 3 nil win wouldn't have flattered us.[/QUOTE[

To be fair Chelsea was enjoyable. Then we go and play like school; kids against Burnley and Villa :shrug:

[QUOTE[It's a very decent point from [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], and I think highlights that some of the players do suffer with a lack of confidence in the last third and that is exasperated by the pressure of being at home.

I replied to Swansman not CJ. I know why he started the thread and it's a point that I don't really disagree with. But you only need to get a point away for it to be a decent result. Though our many 1-1s were quite frustrating at times the away draws at Palace, Chelsea, West Ham and Saints all felt like wins with the last minute goals. The 10 minutes of non stop singing after Maupay's goal at Southampton that carried on all the way back to the station were a season highlight for me. I've repeatedly said I prefer aways and have only really renewed to take my son and keep my points for away days.

Nevertheless, when you're crap at home repeatedly you threaten to turn off revenue streams. Unhappy punters don't renew, don't buy merch or food and leave on 80 minutes.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There is a difference in perception isn't there between the people who go to home matches, (who think watching us play is some form of torture) and those who watch us away, (who think we're magic).

The fact that those who attend away's is mostly the same people, ie the ones with loyalty points, means there's different sections of our fan base who see things very differently

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'll be happy to drop it soon as you put your hands up to your relationship with the club. Fair play they want want someone steadying the good ship Albion on NSC fact-wise. And fair play for that, you're doing a grand job. But the fact that your start date on NSC is about a week later than PB was appointed strongly suggests you're a bit more than yer run-of-the-mill longtime fan. Your social media influencer type job description strongly suggests exactly the same.

You put your hands up to being a Barber Bot influencer over and above being a maybe genuine fan, I'll happily drop it. Deal?

Actually i have. Many times.
But yet again. There's multiple people on here and some of the moderators who know or have met IRL who might call me a lot of things . But they'd all call me a "genuine fan" and know i've nothing to do with the club apart from love it a lot and pay for 2 season tickets a year.. So can we drop it. Its getting a bit boring.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'll be happy to drop it soon as you put your hands up to your relationship with the club. Fair play they want someone steadying the good ship Albion on NSC fact-wise. And fair play for that, you're doing a grand job. But the fact that your start date on NSC is about a week later than PB was appointed strongly suggests you're a bit more than yer run-of-the-mill longtime fan. Your social media influencer type job description strongly suggests exactly the same. And where's your pre-Barber posts? Us long in the tooth fans have had a few things to discuss these past 20 years.

Actually i have. Many times.
But yet again. There's multiple people on here and some of the moderators who know or have met IRL who might call me a lot of things . But they'd all call me a "genuine fan" and know i've nothing to do with the club apart from love it a lot and pay for 2 season tickets a year.. So can we drop it. Its getting a bit boring.

More than happy to confirm that CJ is a very genuine fan indeed along with his family. Perhaps not quite the same IRL as on here (but I don't think many of us are) but certainly not a club employee or Barber shill. Simply a fan who sees things from a club perspective first.

So, yes, Tom, please drop it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here