Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If away was home...one of the best seasons ever...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Roughly the same results under CH who arguably had lesser players to choose from, we stayed up and also beat feckin Palace home and away. Give me that any day over a couple of ‘ good performances’ against Chelsea or whoever.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Roughly the same results under CH who arguably had lesser players to choose from, we stayed up and also beat feckin Palace home and away. Give me that any day over a couple of ‘ good performances’ against Chelsea or whoever.

We also beat United that season too.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This thread will not age well!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Wouldn't that be joint 18th?

Sadly to improve that means some serious investment into the FIRST team. (not purchases for the future) This season has proven to all that we were Lucky in many games and we have only really deserved to win very few games. Passing aside we are woeful at turning a team inside out and attacking with pace. We cannot shoot, we cannot cross and we certainly never look like a threat in any phases of play. Combine all of that to playing at home how on earth is it meant to be an exciting day out to watch the match when we all know what is going to happen...

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Surely today was another good result in the topsy turvy world of this thread. 2-2 draw?
My abiding memory will be of all the smiling faces on the monorail after the game.

Last edited:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

When you did the double over us, wasn’t that the season when you finished 17th, two points above 18th? I get that every game would have felt more important that season as you were fighting to stay up.

But you’d honestly prefer that to this season, when you’ve been safe from relegation for weeks and it’s still only half way through March?

On paper that just looks daft, but I actually understand where you’re coming from. The first couple of years after coming up it’s a real struggle to survive and the atmosphere is great as everyone is behind their team, united in their desire to stay up. You get to visit all the famous grounds to watch your own team play and occasionally you actually go there and win, life is brilliant.

And then the reality hits you, lower to mid table survival means you’re going to win roughly one in every three games.

For year after year until you get relegated.

Maybe you’ve got a valid point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When you did the double over us, wasn’t that the season when you finished 17th, two points above 18th? I get that every game would have felt more important that season as you were fighting to stay up.

But you’d honestly prefer that to this season, when you’ve been safe from relegation for weeks and it’s still only half way through March?

On paper that just looks daft, but I actually understand where you’re coming from. The first couple of years after coming up it’s a real struggle to survive and the atmosphere is great as everyone is behind their team, united in their desire to stay up. You get to visit all the famous grounds to watch your own team play and occasionally you actually go there and win, life is brilliant.

And then the reality hits you, lower to mid table survival means you’re going to win roughly one in every three games.

Reality’s set in that a Southampton type 10th place is the best that’s likely to ever happen, particularly as more sports-washing £b’s pour in under new and existing owners.

How do you maintain your mojo?

Hoping that Viera will steer you to Europa League football or that Parish/Blitzer will sell to the next Middle East state?

If Everton, Brentford , Palace, West Ham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Burnley, Watford ...had been home fixtures this season and at the Amex we'd all be saying this was one of the best (if not the best) PL seasons we'd ever had , the Amex atmosphere would be transformed and everything would be different.
Can you imagine 4 last minute winners/equalisers but in front of the North Stand.

Didn’t we play better at home in quite a few of those fixtures? Four wins away three at home. Not sure they’d be a lot in it sentiment wise. We have a big away following and loads of people watching streams of games away, so not convinced of your thesis

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Personally I think players are no different to the rest of us. If you are a bang average player lucky to be on PL wages why would you try to make the club more successful after the basics are achieved? chances are you will be out the door sharpish replaced with a younger more expensive model the following season. If Southampton drop off for the rest of the season I might be onto something :lolol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Reality’s set in that a Southampton type 10th place is the best that’s likely to ever happen, particularly as more sports-washing £b’s pour in under new and existing owners.

Unfortunately I fear your are correct, maybe finishing just outside the top six is the best either of our teams can dream of.

How depressing is that?

How do you maintain your mojo?

Honest answer? Viera has made us more enjoyable to watch, even if it’s no more successful than results under Hodgson. But more importantly, he’s respected the FA Cup and we haven’t gone out at our first attempt.

Under Roy I almost lost it, despite him keeping us up every season.

Hoping that Viera will steer you to Europa League football or that Parish/Blitzer will sell to the next Middle East state?

If we were bought by a Middle East state, I’d get a season ticket for Christchurch FC. I could even admire my company’s perimeter advertising boards if the game was a bit shit. :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Potter agrees...

"If you think about some of the games we've had away from home this season...then its probably the best season they've ever had following a Brighton side. Because the memories have been incredible.
The guys that follow us away and commit a lot of time and a lot of energy have had some football memories that will stick with them for the rest of their lives" via (he also acknowledges that they need to replicate that at home)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdRmJXqbyxo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here