Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just a couple of bits from me. I felt that a protest was needed, but not in the way it was held. However when a party is reneging from it's pre election policy, and the fact that I do not understand how the country was in debt but the previous government seemed to be taking it in their stride. So tell me why are the cuts having to be so draconian?

I was lucky enough to go to university, and complete a diploma in nursing. Nowadays, that course is being superceeded by a degree course. Now unlike a conventional degree, just like the previous diploma it has two parts, practical an theory. Fail one and you do not qualify. The degree nurses receive no bursary as before, but at present do not have to pay any fees. However, I left college with a debt of £5000, and that is now chicken feed. Also please note that newly qualified nurse will have to start paying their loan back as soon as they get a job as they start on band 5 of the pay scale. Please see the following:- http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=766

Can I just add to little Mr Guilmour, if you have no idea what the Cenotaph is about I suggest you listen to The Wall, or The Final Cut, and listen to your dads former writing partners lyrics. Then you may have some idea what the Cenotaph is about.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Floyd star's son 'sorry' for demo | The Sun |News

THE son of legendary Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour has apologised for climbing the Cenotaph during yesterday's student protests.

Privately-educated Charlie Gilmour today said he "would like to express his deepest apologies for the terrible insult to the thousands of people who died bravely for our country".

He added he was "mortified" by his "moment of idiocy".

The Cenotaph, in Whitehall, commemorates Britain's war dead.

In his statement, Gilmour said he did not realise what the monument was.

His statement reads: "I would like to express my deepest apologies for the terrible insult to the thousands of people who died bravely for our country that my actions represented.

"I feel nothing but shame. My intention was not to attack or defile the Cenotaph.

"Running along with a crowd of people who had just been violently repelled by the police, I got caught up in the spirit of the moment.

"I did not realise that it was the Cenotaph and if I had, I certainly would not have done what I did.

"I feel additionally mortified that my moment of idiocy has distracted so much from the message yesterday's protest was trying to send out.

"Those who are commemorated by the Cenotaph died to protect the very freedoms that allow the people of Britain the right to protest and I feel deeply ashamed to have, although unintentionally and unknowingly, insulted the memory of them.

"Ignorance is the poorest of excuses but I am sincerely sorry."

Gilmour was among thousands of teenagers who descended on central London yesterday to protest against rising university tuition fees.

Many shamed Britain by turning the demonstration into an orgy of violence that continued late into the night.

David Gilmour was one of the lead singers and songwriters for Pink Floyd, whose albums include The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon.

Nicely written by his solicitor or agent on his behalf.

The worrying part is he claims not to have known what the Cenotaph is.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
You know what, its not fair that we're being made to pay this much because its skewed. We're taking on a bigger rise in fees and a larger cut than a lot of society. Not all. (So if you quote this please highlight that i've said not all. Thanks.) We CAN take an increace in fees and cuts to education funding in line with everyone else.

But the 80% cut to FE with this hike in fees to up to 9 grand a year is disproportionate.

Also: this stuff about "oh it is democratic - the libdems have no mandate!"... Students make up so much of the Lib Dem voters. They've signed personal pledges to oppose fees. That is their mandate as a MP. Okay they don't have a mandate in government but in a parliamentery democracy such as ours they HAVE got a mandate to vote no. But they didn't, they've betrayed a large chunk of their constituants over an issue that directly affects them.

Sure, we could sit down and shut up. Like you lot did during the Poll Tax Riots. Sorry... I forgot we're not allowed to protest like you did because we're "jumped up" students, who spend money on Pot Noodles and Xboxs. Because NO student has a job during Uni do they?

There is very little chance that a student might actually have a job to pay for their own entertainment. Right?

The violence is both right and wrong. Obviously its more wrong than it is right. The only bit of good it does, is it gets the message out we're really f***ing angry and gets media attention. Would a sitin with 20000 people listening to music and then strolling home at the results get any news coverage and make people stop and realize how angry we are? No!

Its wrong that we've resorted to this though. The damage done to the treasury and to the supreme court (sorry Seagulls, it was smashed with bricks) is mindless and brutish and undermines our arguement some what. The fighting the police is inevitable when (as Billy the fish said) there is a hard balance to find between over aggressive tactics, and under numbered police and it is a shame. I neither condone nor condem the violence because I can see why people would be violent and i can see why its wrong.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Matter of opinion. "right" might not be the correct word. There are very limited pros from a violent protest as mentioned.

Throwing flares at police, thowing fences at police, throwing rocks, throwing snooker balls, throwing anything they could find - there is NOTHING right about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh I get it, so you're better than others are you ? So apart from being a liar and a bullshiiter you're also a bit of a hero, oh pardon me for ever questioning your opinions, how could I dare to doubt such and esteemed being. Still I wonder what your job is, Sewage Engineer ? That's one way of taking more out.

why exactly am I a liar? What on earth have I lied about?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If my typo is all you can respond with, then clearly you have no argument at all.

Well if you had bothered to read the whole thread I have already had my say. You might like repeating yourself but I suppose it's better than standing around in the cold protesting about something that you can't change no matter now much you whine. As far as an argument goes what's to argue about ? The new legislation has been passed and history clearly shows that it won't be revoked so there's no nothing to argue about, take it as read yours is a lost cause.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Acker: I agree to an extent. But the "positive" (used loosely there) outcomes of the violence is media coverage I can think (off the top of my head) of three threads now on NSC where discussion has gone on well in to double figured pages. Would a peaceful protest have gotten that kind of attention, honestly? its a personal issue and depends on your view point entirely.

However even if you do subscribe that the tiny pro exists in a protest which has a minority of violent protesters, where the line is drawn between getting attention and having people show up for a fight is a personal issue that will vary depending on how much you partake in violence. Don't forget that a minority were violent. Given that this is a protest fueled by anger, 22 arrests out of 20000 is not as bad as it could be. 1 arrest out of 150 for (i think) breach of teh peace in brighton over an offencive banner is quite good. Nearly every single successful protest has had a dark element to it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well if you had bothered to read the whole thread I have already had my say. You might like repeating yourself but I suppose it's better than standing around in the cold protesting about something that you can't change no matter now much you whine. As far as an argument goes what's to argue about ? The new legislation has been passed and history clearly shows that it won't be revoked so there's no nothing to argue about, take it as read yours is a lost cause.

Lost cause it may look but we'll keep on marching, sitting in and doing what we are doing. History also says that there has been an act passed and then revoked during the last Conservative government. That had 10 times as many people and involved a lot of violence. We've made a crack in the Coalition a crack of around 75%... we're going to smash this crack until we go to the Polls again.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can't be arsed to read this thread but I'm hoping that we've all agreed that the violent student protesters are modern-day heroes fighting for a fairer society and those who think they're in the wrong are snivelling little establishment toadies.

Jolly good.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I can't be arsed to read this thread but I'm hoping that we've all agreed that the violent student protesters are modern-day heroes fighting for a fairer society and those who think they're in the wrong are snivelling little establishment toadies.

Jolly good.

Err no. There has been a debate about the fairness of the act. Some binfestery and personal mudslinging.

Very few (if any) have said that the violence is 100% right.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Acker: I agree to an extent. But the "positive" (used loosely there) outcomes of the violence is media coverage I can think (off the top of my head) of three threads now on NSC where discussion has gone on well in to double figured pages. Would a peaceful protest have gotten that kind of attention, honestly? its a personal issue and depends on your view point entirely.

However even if you do subscribe that the tiny pro exists in a protest which has a minority of violent protesters, where the line is drawn between getting attention and having people show up for a fight is a personal issue that will vary depending on how much you partake in violence. Don't forget that a minority were violent. Given that this is a protest fueled by anger, 22 arrests out of 20000 is not as bad as it could be. 1 arrest out of 150 for (i think) breach of teh peace in brighton over an offencive banner is quite good. Nearly every single successful protest has had a dark element to it.

A sit down protest in the middle of parliament sq (or anywhere in London) with 20,000 people, without smashing the place up and losing the public support I dare say would have been a lot better while still getting attention.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
article-1337088-0C6B1E83000005DC-10_634x496.jpg

She should be so proud.

Someone may have already posted this (I've not scanned through), but FiveLive have just announced that said protester on the cenotaph has given a heart felt apology for the disrespect HE has caused, and is none other than Pink Floyd guitarist (and new Hove resident) Dave Gilmour's son Charlie...

Surprised he didn't break into a chorus of "we don't need no education....":laugh:

do you think his dad struggles with the fee's I wonder!?!?!
(Dave Gilmour having a house on Medina Terrace, not Charlie!)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
A sit down protest in the middle of parliament sq (or anywhere in London) with 20,000 people, without smashing the place up and losing the public support I dare say would have been a lot better while still getting attention.

Now it might get more attention but how seriously would it have been taken if it was back in november on the tenth?
I'm in two minds about what we do now. But i'm more inclined to have a sit in, get some speakers hooked up to an MP3/Ipod/Laptop and we just play sing a long songs for several hours in town.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles

This. The students may well now be splashed across all and sundry in the media, but it is for all the wrong reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here