Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Is it just me - or do I hint a bit of jealousy from those who had neither the opportunity or intelligence to continue their education ?

Possibly but at the same time you can understand the resentment of people who haven't had the 'advantage' of a university education who are unhappy at having to pay for it. As has been said many times now a university education is not a right it's a privilege.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The problem with IT degrees is that through not fault of the teachers or those being taught is that what they are learning is often five years or more out of date and people in IT will tell you that they means it's all but obsolete.

Surely that depends on what sort of IT career you undertake ?

If you want to be a developer or a system/business analyst, I'd imagine a degree of sorts is extremely useful. Quite difficult to get such a job without a degree I'd imagine.

Not sure that many Computer Science graduates are thinking of taking a career in support although possibly some do. Completely different skill set that is probably best self taught or on the job.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Possibly but at the same time you can understand the resentment of people who haven't had the 'advantage' of a university education who are unhappy at having to pay for it. As has been said many times now a university education is not a right it's a privilege.

I don't understand the resentment at all.

I don't have a car but some of my taxes go to the upkeep of the country's infrastructure that allows them to function. I benefit indirectly from them because the stuff I buy on shops is delivered by them.

So I'm quite happy to pay for others to go to University.

I don't have a problem with the numbers going, but I'm a little concerned that some people go who are frankly not intelligent enough. That's not because of the numbers but I tend to think that the conveyor belt system of GCSE > A LEVELS > DEGREES allows reasonably intelligent but not University material people to coast their way in.

This is really from personal experience, since although I really am a product of the conveyor belt - I've seen a lot of people with rubbish school results excel at University, because the establishments had a way of testing aptitude that didn't just include A Level results.

There are thousands off first class degree material people out there who don't even know it. They may have f*cked about at school or had to go out and get a job. Just because they didn't cut the mustard at 16 doesn't mean they are thick.There are also thousands of kids who worked just about hard enough at their A Levels and work just about hard enough to get into University to scrape a degree.

So, I still suspect a hint of jealously on here regarding opportunity and intelligence and understand it because the way we choose people to study there is just wrong.

Make it harder to get into University, but make it far more open. Don't simply fill the places with 19 year olds with A Levels. Mix it up a bit.

It should be much easier to work and study as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here