Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
_50371210_50371207.jpg

Edna - 'What would Diana think?' You could make a fortune!!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Just got back. There were some student trouble makers, but SO much of the violence was instigated by the Police. Have a look on YouTube tomorrow. That is all I have to say.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Woah! Just seen footage of the police horses charging at protestors – obviously, lobbing pool balls at the animals is not the thing to do, but what should you do when ten 80 stone horses + their heavy-weight riders are hurtling towards you? The horses are weapons themselves, aren't they?

.... and it was just so lucky I had this pool ball in my pocket with which to fend off the naughty policeman....

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Time to shoot my self in the foot. Several times.

Firstly: This lady swinging from the grave: not a lady. He was a very strange guy who was reading poetry to riot police. I even asked one how the hell they coudln't laugh at that kind of thign?! Really strange human.

Secondly: All this shit about how we've failed. Yes we didn't do enough to get a no. But the Coalition has seen 3/4 of its majority rebel. This gives us hope that further protest, lobbying etc will limit further damage. We're not stopping now

Thirdly: The Westminster Bridge kettle was a farce. We had to go through a maze, which involved a crush to get to another crush where they made us leave single file. To do this on a bridge, with only one exit was just begging for a riot but also begging for some more serious injuries.

A good day out, well natured. I'm on CNN :mediawhore: giving an interview. It got nasty but ketteling us in Parliament Square would have been such a good move if it was executed propperly and people could leave through more than one exit.

Edna: Assuming you work for Sussex Police, you guys are so much better than the Met. The met are disorganized (they left a massive main road that was obviously going to have protests want to go down because it lead straight to parliament totally open and unpoliced, so when officers DID make it to the scene after about 20 seconds they were paniced and outnumbered) and have very little "people skills" which for protesters are really important since the way we interact and are interacted with by the police can make or break a protest. Generally speaking Sussex are a nice bunch of very well trained and smart Police officers and this attitude they have with us means we'll usually get along and comply with their requests and those who don't tend to be a higher percentage of knobs looking for a fight rather than frenzied students.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
it quite frankly beggars belief the amount of shit 'students' are getting on here. Quite apart from the crippling nature of this new law, the fact is that many people protesting today voted for a party who have failed to stick to their word on the values they were voted on in the first place. If people are to be condemned for being angry at the fact that their vote has effectively been ignored then we live in a very sad society. No wonder the French take the piss out of us, if the best we can do at the first sign of justified major cilvil unrest in years is sneer and say "well as long as I'm alright" it's a very sad society we live in. I sincerely hope no one who has condemned the actions today plans to have children who may want to enter higher education in the future - let alone those who have the gall to want to do a humanities degree.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fair play to students they're angry. However I wonder how many of them realise that they are not the only people feeling the pinch, we're all having to tighten our belts thanks to this country's finances and people my age who are coming to the end of their working lives are not happy either. What gets me is that students seem to think they are the only people who have to pay bills.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Fair play to students they're angry. However I wonder how many of them realise that they are not the only people feeling the pinch, we're all having to tighten our belts thanks to this country's finances and people my age who are coming to the end of their working lives are not happy either. What gets me is that students seem to think they are the only people who have to pay bills.

What gets me is that students are the only people with the gall to actually do anything about it, yet are subjected to a universal cluck of dissaproval from people who frankly should understand why people are angry at the moment.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What gets me is that students are the only people with the gall to actually do anything about it, yet are subjected to a universal cluck of dissaproval from people who frankly should understand why people are angry at the moment.

What gets me is that whilst students can take time off from studying to go on a march the rest of us have to work. We get paid and pay tax which in turn pays for education. Of course I guess most students don't stop to think about that whilst they are so self involved.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What gets me is that whilst students can take time off from studying to go on a march the rest of us have to work. We get paid and pay tax which in turn pays for education. Of course I guess most students don't stop to think about that whilst they are so self involved.

A lot of the protesting students will have paid tax in the past, may be paying tax now and will certainly be paying tax in the future.

'Belt tightening' is not an option for students- the choices are, don't go to university, or go and accumulate massive debts.

To suggest that their behaviour is 'self involved' is ridiculous. Many that are protesting will have left university before the fee rises are implemented. They are fighting for future generations. It seems that you are the one that is 'self involved.'

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A lot of the protesting students will have paid tax in the past, may be paying tax now and will certainly be paying tax in the future.

To suggest that their behaviour is 'self involved' is ridiculous. Many that are protesting will have left university before the fee rises are implemented. They are fighting for future generations. It seems that you are the one that is 'self involved.'

A decision made by a DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED government and you don't like it, I love your sense of fair play. Be a great idea if everybody started a riot because they don't like the way the country is being run. (Oh, that was sarcasm by the way). Seeing the actions and the damage done over the past few weeks you expect the majority to support you ? Actually according to this thread most people are sick of students.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A decision made by a DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED government and you don't like it, I love your sense of fair play. Be a great idea if everybody started a riot because they don't like the way the country is being run. (Oh, that was sarcasm by the way). Seeing the actions and the damage done over the past few weeks you expect the majority to support you ? Actually according to this thread most people are sick of students.

Firstly, the government is a coalition made up of the Conservatives and Lib Dems. The Lib Dems stated during the campaign that they were against tuition fees. People didn't vote for this.

Secondly, I don't expect the majority to support me. I'm not a student and not a protestor. I support their right to protest and their cause. It's callled empathy.

According to this thread most people are selfish and myopic.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They are attacking the Police who are also having to take there share of pain to help this country get back on its feet with many hard working ordinary pepole.All of us will be paying an extra 2.5% vat in 2011.I agree we should have freedom to protest and say what we like thats how we saved our club.Please keep your protest peaceful and remeber we have the right to vote and we are lucky we are living in a democracy. Remeber the word is mightier than sword.
They would be thrown out of the league. Or at least heavily fined.

I am all for protests - in fact I think we, as a country, should do it more - but keep it peaceful and don't just use it as an excuse to play freedom fighter for an afternoon.

Albion Rob

These protests have really summed this country up for me. In 'peacetime' we like to portray students as apathetic and disengaged, even with decisions that affect them. They when they rise up, march and make a fuss people line up to condemn them.

I'm not one for lobbing pool balls around but let's face it, if they sat politely in Parliament Square and sung the odd song then MPs (the overwhelming majority of whom were either educated privately or enjoyed genuinely free education plus grants when they went to uni) would swagger past and smile before knifing them in the back. Thinking back to the mid 90s, no one was really listening to us until the York game at the Goldstone - direct action captures the attention, sad but true.

Will be interesting to see whether this unrest is just the tip of the iceberg - as Britbyte points out, students are just one group feeling the strain, wonder when others will crack.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

When you vote for someone you are making a judgement on what you think they will stand for and whether, in general, this concurs with your own views and principles. When they sign a pledge that suggests an even clearer message about what they stand for. How would all the tory voters feel if, after suggesting in the election campaign they were going to reduce the deficit, once in power they decided to spend more. Betrayal is probably the kindest word you can use to describe it.

As for all these 'self involved' people banging on about the government saving money, you have all been hoodwinked. This measure is nothing to do with the deficit, it is idealogically driven. It will price the poorest out of the university system and at worse, perpetuate the system where the rich buy their education allowing them the take the better jobs either in industry or in government.

My own view, which probably won't go down well with the students, is to take the universities out of the 'marketplace', reduce the number that actually go and have alternative vocational training in separate institutions. Probably sounds familiar for those of a certain age. Treat education as an investment in the future rather than a business.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Take it as read if we al reacted like students they would wind up at the very bottom of the food chain. Had their protests remained civil they might got some sympathy but that did not happen. The fact is the decision has been taken and anybody who thinks it will be reversed is living in a fantasy world. Just ask the (ex) miners. If students want to continue to protest that's their right but they're wasting their time and ultimately the public's money.

One thing that has been mentioned is that we have far more students than we had in the days of 'free education'. Successive administrations be they Labour, Conservative or Coalition have encouraged people into higher education to massage the unemployment figures. In doing so they have allowed faculties to create university courses which are frivolous and thus are a lot harder to justify the benefits of. Maybe it's time to rationalise universities as this would save all of us apart from university personnel a lot of money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But this is not true is it? Which ever way you look at it more people voted for parties which pledged to NOT raise tuition fees, than those which pledged to increase them. There is no democratic mandate to raise tuition fees. It is not democracy, and this is why people do not like it.

As the cuts bit deeper and more and more people are affected by this back-door Tory party and the power desperate spineless Lib-Dems you will see more and more people sympathising and/or taking similar action.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
When you vote for someone you are making a judgement on what you think they will stand for and whether, in general, this concurs with your own views and principles. When they sign a pledge that suggests an even clearer message about what they stand for. How would all the tory voters feel if, after suggesting in the election campaign they were going to reduce the deficit, once in power they decided to spend more. Betrayal is probably the kindest word you can use to describe it.

As for all these 'self involved' people banging on about the government saving money, you have all been hoodwinked. This measure is nothing to do with the deficit, it is idealogically driven. It will price the poorest out of the university system and at worse, perpetuate the system where the rich buy their education allowing them the take the better jobs either in industry or in government.

My own view, which probably won't go down well with the students, is to take the universities out of the 'marketplace', reduce the number that actually go and have alternative vocational training in separate institutions. Probably sounds familiar for those of a certain age. Treat education as an investment in the future rather than a business.

So the government are making the students pay for the deficit ? Hello, WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR IT.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

:facepalm:

DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED Lib Dems signed a pledge. A personal and named pledge. The core voters of the Lib Dems are students. They stab us in the back with a hike in fees. Yes, demo-f***ing-cratic.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But this is not true is it? Which ever way you look at it more people voted for parties which pledged to NOT raise tuition fees, than those which pledged to increase them. There is no democratic mandate to raise tuition fees. It is not democracy, and this is why people do not like it.

As the cuts bit deeper and more and more people are affected by this back-door Tory party and the power desperate spineless Lib-Dems you will see more and more people sympathising and/or taking similar action.

I take your point about the Lib Dems but anybody who voted for them should have realised that they'd do anything to get a say in how the country is run. There's no excusing them so why don't students picket their headquarters ?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So the government are making the students pay for the deficit ? Hello, WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR IT.

Not as much as we will by proportion. If the fee rise was inline with what others in society are having to accept via cuts/tax rises etc then the fees would be a touch over four thousand, which many felt would be a fair enough change.

Can I ask if you're being taxed double?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here