Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How can does a monthly payment £7.20 repay a debt of £40-50,000 during one's working lifetime?

The MP admitted many people wouldn't pay off the debt - they would either never earn enough or hit the 30 year barrier. The payments do go up the more you earn of course.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Where did you get that number from? My understanding is that you pay 9% of everything above £21k (similar to the current system where it's 9% of everything above £15k). According to my maths (could be wrong) in order to be paying back £120 a month you'd have to be earning £37k.

Apologies, I may have misread that - i read it at 9% once you are earning above 21k. I shall apologise to Westdene Seagull as well for that!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
OK, but even thats not a lot with the current cost of living, esp if you paying rent etc - and they will start taking a decent size chunk. Its a massive disadvantage for those who will be earning a wage that they could get to in probably less time without going to uni.

But they will be paying LESS each month than they are now. Granted, they are paying more in total.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
But they will be paying LESS each month than they are now. Granted, they are paying more in total.

I've admitted it seems I got my numbers wrong on that. I still object to the fact that its a rise from something that is realistically payable to one that becomes effectively a permanent tax, and that a country shouldn't be charging people who decide to better themselves and the society they live in.

I've admitted it seems I got my numbers wrong on that. I still object to the fact that its a rise from something that is realistically payable to one that becomes effectively a permanent tax, and that a country shouldn't be charging people who decide to better themselves and the society they live in.

What is your alternative then? All parties have admitted that there needs to be a new way to fund higher education. Labour favour a true graduate tax, in that it ensures that even the most highly-paid graduate continues to pay for their degree over their entire working life, and subsidises those that don't earn enough to pay it off. The age of free higher education is gone forever.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The fact is that 21k is not a lot if you want to raise a family and save to buy a house, and you can get to a point of earning 21k + WITHOUT going to uni, and without a millstone of a heavyish tax hanging over you for the rest of your life. So it will discourage people from going into important graduate professions.

BUT why were you not on the streets when the tuition fees were first brought in....at the moment, you can come out with a debt of fees and living of around £20k and you start paying at £15k?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
What is your alternative then? All parties have admitted that there needs to be a new way to fund higher education. Labour favour a true graduate tax, in that it ensures that even the most highly-paid graduate continues to pay for their degree over their entire working life, and subsidises those that don't earn enough to pay it off. The age of free higher education is gone forever.

Do I have to support either this or Labour's idea? Am I not allowed to believe that higher education should be free (although perhaps reformed to be more vocational)? And yes I am aware that that would cost money, but there are all sorts of ways the budget should be structured differently in my own opinion. Although I think Labour's graduate tax with a much higher threshold (ensuring true financial stability) is way more favourable than 18 yr olds having to make a decision to give up a decent chunk when they reach middle-income for the rest of their lives.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
BUT why were you not on the streets when the tuition fees were first brought in....at the moment, you can come out with a debt of fees and living of around £20k and you start paying at £15k?

Because I was 11? Although incidentally it was what made my dad hand back his Labour Party membership.

Incidentally, you have described my situation almost spot on debt-wise. In my career I will probably find my way to 30k but am unlikely to ever go beyond that - but I WILL be able to pay it back, without going right into my 50's and 60's, having tried to pay a mortgage and raise a family minus over 100 quid a month. This is what will face the kids who start university now and are looking at a similar career path. What no-one has mentioned either is the rise in interest now - meaning this will grow and grow and be something to worry about when you are moving on.

Do I have to support either this or Labour's idea? Am I not allowed to believe that higher education should be free (although perhaps reformed to be more vocational)? And yes I am aware that that would cost money, but there are all sorts of ways the budget should be structured differently in my own opinion. Although I think Labour's graduate tax with a much higher threshold (ensuring true financial stability) is way more favourable than 18 yr olds having to make a decision to give up a decent chunk when they reach middle-income for the rest of their lives.

You are of course entitled to your own ideas; I just think if one wants to be critical of the proposed position a sensible alternative helps.

No-one has any idea whether Labour's graduate tax would have a much higher threshold, because they've been incredible reticent in giving any details; at the moment it's back of the envelope stuff, I suspect because if they did have a solid proposal it would be very easy to pull to pieces. The Browne review stated that a graduate tax would not start to pay its way for 30 years, leaving government to find money in the intervening period, and that a 3% tax (as originally proposed by Labour) would be nowhere near large enough, and realistically it would have to be 8-9% (i.e. very similar to the current governments proposed system).

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
article-1337088-0C6B1E83000005DC-10_634x496.jpg

She should be so proud.

Mar 10, 2006
f***ing bunch of ***** - welcome to the real world you mollycoddled wankers where nothing is free. In the real world if you don't want to or can't pay you go without. f***ing pissed off with everyone thinking that going to university is just a natural path that you follow. If you want to go f***ing pay for it

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
why oh why dont we have water cannons or tear gas!!! If it was a football crowd the police would be cracking heads left right and centre!!

i went to uni but funnily enough i didnt meet many people who threw rocks at horses

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Would love to stab that bird in the face.

Vermin c'nt.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Should make much of the 5k difference to be honest. The higher limit kicks in 2016, so in real terms there is not a huge difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here