Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idiots!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Only real trouble in recent years in Brighton was after England got knocked out of the World Cup in 1990, or the European Championship in 1996, wasn't it? (Can't remember which one).

1990-and was the first time that police in riot gear were on Brighton's streets-

Crowd up to 600 strong at times ran a muck,nothing to compare to the last few days,Foreign students set about and windows smashed,1 publican died of a heart attack in a pub near Churchill square as their pub had it's windows smashed.

I was 18 at the time and just went into town as you do at that age,got caught up in it and followed it about-

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Once again, it's NOTHING to do with Twitter, and that screengrab is actually from Blackberry Messenger.

Do your research

Really ? How do you work that out ? Whilst nobody blames Twitter itself the fact that it's being used to organise rioters would rather say that Twiiter is a problem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really ? How do you work that out ? Whilst nobody blames Twitter itself the fact that it's being used to organise rioters would rather say that Twiiter is a problem.

As is Blackberry Messenger which is more private, at least until the police ask for records (which they will in the coming months)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
But it ISN'T being used to organise rioters. People posting on Twitter are accountable and traceable. If just one person sent a message about where they were headed or what they planned to do they'd be shot down in minutes, traced and dealt with.

It is on the walled Blackberry Messenger network where people can anonymously tip one another off, for free, on supposed looting locations.

Even the news networks have stopped blaming Twitter now, as it is widely accepted that Blackberry Messenger is the real culprit

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
With BBM you still have to have someones pin ( like a phone number or msn email address ) you cant just send this out to say everyone with a blackberry in Brighton.

it is no more than a group text message.

OT BMM is great for pulling birds in clubs. please don't stop it. :annoyed:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But it ISN'T being used to organise rioters. People posting on Twitter are accountable and traceable. If just one person sent a message about where they were headed or what they planned to do they'd be shot down in minutes, traced and dealt with.

It is on the walled Blackberry Messenger network where people can anonymously tip one another off, for free, on supposed looting locations.

Even the news networks have stopped blaming Twitter now, as it is widely accepted that Blackberry Messenger is the real culprit

As I said before, nobody blames Twitter but it's the fact that it and Blackberry are being used that is the problem. I have nothing against social networks but can you not see the problem ? Oh okay, clearly you can't.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm not trying to stick up for Twitter, it makes no odds to me. I was just pointing out that the picture in the original post is from Blackberry Messenger, which is getting most of the blame for rallying troops or updating people to locations to loot.

Anyone can see what you've put on Twitter, whereas a message shared on Blackberry Messenger is still private

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
London Road, Police Vans out, however completely dead. i trust that the rozzers will have this under control. any little feral rats down there tonight will get a hiding i suspect.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm not trying to stick up for Twitter, it makes no odds to me. I was just pointing out that the picture in the original post is from Blackberry Messenger, which is getting most of the blame for rallying troops or updating people to locations to loot.

Anyone can see what you've put on Twitter, whereas a message shared on Blackberry Messenger is still private

Regardless if it's Twitter ( and there are some examples of people using it including 2 arrested in Kent ) or Blackberry, the networks should be shut down.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Regardless if it's Twitter ( and there are some examples of people using it including 2 arrested in Kent ) or Blackberry, the networks should be shut down.

Do you really believe this? Because an infinitesimally small number of people use it to organise a riot it should be shut down?

Do you think that anyone uses e-mail or the phone to cause trouble? Should we close them down too? What about the internet generally, there's loads of nuts everywhere calling for Jihad or Ayrian revolution, should we close that down too?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Do you really believe this? Because an infinitesimally small number of people use it to organise a riot it should be shut down?

Do you think that anyone uses e-mail or the phone to cause trouble? Should we close them down too? What about the internet generally, there's loads of nuts everywhere calling for Jihad or Ayrian revolution, should we close that down too?

OK - the missing word was "temporarily" while order is restored.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Well why not close the internet temporarily? Why not turn off the mobile networks? This is absolute nonsense. Social networks are methods of communication, they hare not RESPONSIBLE for these riots.

They are tools of the rioters. And yes, the mobile networks in the local area of a riot should be turned of. Not one of my posts has said social networks are RESPONSIBLE for the riots.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and the rest of thein interwebs too. and the phone systems, they could use that. cant be too careful.

anywho, what twitter is responsible for is the false rumours and stories that have been circulating today. f*** all got done in my office today as a dozen people seemed to be fixated with twitter reports of every highstreet in London about to kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here