Votes: 12 30.8%
  • India

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • The Match To Be Off Due To A Bizarre Gardening Accident

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Right, and how do you suggest to improve competition? The money is crucial so players can focus full time on cricket.

In terms of the contests, The Netherlands beat South Africa last year. There is no West Indies in this years Cricket World Cup as they didn't qualify. The teams that are in the World Cup are there because they deserve to be there. But with such a gap in wealth and funds, how can we expect such contests?

I suspect had The Netherlands not thrown away 33 runs from the last 2 overs today's game against New Zealand would have been a much closer contest.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have lived and played cricket in Holland at a decent standard. Whatever money is thrown at it there it will not become mainstream. Shame but Cricket clubs are for the elite and cant see that changing. They are now always after foreign players with distant relatives to put in national side. Such a pity about West Indies but the fact is 20/20 game has ended cricket as we know it

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have lived and played cricket in Holland at a decent standard. Whatever money is thrown at it there it will not become mainstream. Shame but Cricket clubs are for the elite and cant see that changing. They are now always after foreign players with distant relatives to put in national side. Such a pity about West Indies but the fact is 20/20 game has ended cricket as we know it
Appreciate the intentions are good but for years ICC have been throwing money at countries like Holland. All this has done is for them to now afford to get foreign players to represent them in tournaments. This can be seen in latest game against Australia when I think they had 4 South Africans and 2 Indians playing for them

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate the intentions are good but for years ICC have been throwing money at countries like Holland. All this has done is for them to now afford to get foreign players to represent them in tournaments. This can be seen in latest game against Australia when I think they had 4 South Africans and 2 Indians playing for them

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

I much prefer this format of Cricket to t20 but it's clear that t20 is where the sport wants to head

Just look at the two world cups- this one has 10 teams in it and the ICC really have shown no attempt to grow it at all since their brief dalliance with 16 teams in 2007. However the next t20 world cup has a whopping TWENTY teams in it

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

You aren't wrong about it not being mainstream and yes it is absolutely an elitist sport here. However, the KNCB and clubs are doing good work to get the new generation interested. There are lot of Indian kids who are bringing a new element to cricket in the country, Singh being one such player, Ahmed another. The overseas players are an absolute necessity to get the money and keep associate status (which was recently regained) to keep Dutch cricket alive.

If you ever are back, I'll be more than happy to take the time and show you the work being done behind the scenes with the prize money and how it's being trickled down. I am on the board of USV Hercules in Utrecht where we are working closely with city compatriots Kampong to facilitate the new generation and I can tell you the standard is only improving, largely thanks to the performance of the Dutch Cricket Team and ODIs like the one against England last year, which by the way, was a phenomenal success. I don't think you'll find an England fan who doesn't want to come back.

amexer said:

Which has also allowed players such as de Leede and Paul van Meekeren to become professionals.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
You aren't wrong about it not being mainstream and yes it is absolutely an elitist sport here. However, the KNCB and clubs are doing good work to get the new generation interested. There are lot of Indian kids who are bringing a new element to cricket in the country, Singh being one such player, Ahmed another. The overseas players are an absolute necessity to get the money and keep associate status (which was recently regained) to keep Dutch cricket alive.

If you ever are back, I'll be more than happy to take the time and show you the work being done behind the scenes with the prize money and how it's being trickled down. I am on the board of USV Hercules in Utrecht where we are working closely with city compatriots Kampong to facilitate the new generation and I can tell you the standard is only improving, largely thanks to the performance of the Dutch Cricket Team and ODIs like the one against England last year, which by the way, was a phenomenal success. I don't think you'll find an England fan who doesn't want to come back.

amexer said:

Which has also allowed players such as de Leede and Paul van Meekeren to become

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for info Good to hear. It was a long time ago and may have spelling wrong but I played a few games for Kyveyton

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Thanks for info Good to hear. It was a long time ago and may have spelling wrong but I played a few games for Kyveyton
Do you know where they're from? Sounds like they may have folded sadly as I don't recognise the name (even saying it out loud) unless you mean Qui Vive maybe? (Based in Amsterdam).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Do you know where they're from? Sounds like they may have folded sadly as I don't recognise the name (even saying it out loud) unless you mean Qui Vive maybe? (Based in Amsterdam).
I will try and look it up Definetly began with K and with a v and y and not far from Amsterdam

Cloggie

Feb 21, 2012
Was it De Kieviten in Wassenaar? I played there as a junior. Think the cricket team folded in 2008 as they re-laid the grass pitches as astro for hockey.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Was it De Kieviten in Wassenaar? I played there as a junior. Think the cricket team folded in 2008 as they re-laid the grass pitches as astro for hockey.
Aaaah that would make a lot more sense. These days only Groen-Geel are about in Wassenaar and they only play Zami/Zomi cricket. We go there every year for a 2 day match actually which is always good fun.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Could well be it. Decent standard Had a Sussex player as coach and an overseas WI bowler who was a handful on a matting wicket

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Could well be it. Decent standard Had a Sussex player as coach and an overseas WI bowler who was a handful on a matting wicket
It's about 15 minutes from The Hague if that makes it any clearer to you.

Makes sense with the overseas players as most teams in the top 2 divisions now get 2/3 players in, including us. Although the Dutch government has just changed the rules about it so it's becoming increasingly harder unless they have a European passport which really only the South Africans have these days.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It's about 15 minutes from The Hague if that makes it any clearer to you.

Makes sense with the overseas players as most teams in the top 2 divisions now get 2/3 players in, including us. Although the Dutch government has just changed the rules about it so it's becoming increasingly harder unless they have a European passport which really only the South Africans have these days.
Yes that was it. Good times there. It was 30 plus years ago. Shame they have stopped cricket because at the time were one of strongest cricket sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports