• The Match To Be Off Due To A Bizarre Gardening Accident

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed.

Utterly turgid, brain dead response to one of the greatest ever innings from Viv Richards.

Boycott couldn’t give a shit, as long as he, personally, scored some runs. The wanker.
I thought I'd look into this a bit. Turns out he took 17 overs to reach double figures! In a 50 over game! And Clive Lloyd dropped a dolly off him. Assuming that wasn't deliberate, you do wonder what might have happened if it had been taken...

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I thought I'd look into this a bit. Turns out he took 17 overs to reach double figures! In a 50 over game! And Clive Lloyd dropped a dolly off him. Assuming that wasn't deliberate, you do wonder what might have happened if it had been taken...
I got talking to him on the way to a recentish test match (2017?) at the WACA as we were walking in the same direction. I said something innocent like ‘good toss to win, looks like a batting day’ and I can only think he must have misheard me because he then piled in with comments like ‘you must be daft to think you’d bowl on a day like today, stupid, idiotic, who would consider doing that, etc etc’. We then reached the traffic lights by Queen’s Park adjacent to the ground and we made our excuses and headed off through the park, a slight detour but better than completing the journey being sledged by our Geoffrey! It will teach me to engage in small talk and pleasantries with someone so opinionated!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I got talking to him on the way to a recentish test match (2017?) at the WACA as we were walking in the same direction. I said something innocent like ‘good toss to win, looks like a batting day’ and I can only think he must have misheard me because he then piled in with comments like ‘you must be daft to think you’d bowl on a day like today, stupid, idiotic, who would consider doing that, etc etc’. We then reached the traffic lights by Queen’s Park adjacent to the ground and we made our excuses and headed off through the park, a slight detour but better than completing the journey being sledged by our Geoffrey! It will teach me to engage in small talk and pleasantries with someone so opinionated!
To be fair to him, England finished the first day of the 2017 Perth test on 4/305, so he was almost certainly right about bowling first being a stupid idea.

That England went on to lose by an innings and 41 runs is neither here nor there. :lolol:

I always admire people who choose to go to the Perth test, given we've got somewhere between 0 and bugger all chance of ever winning there.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
To be fair to him, England finished the first day of the 2017 Perth test on 4/305, so he was almost certainly right about bowling first being a stupid idea.

That England went on to lose by an innings and 41 runs is neither here nor there. :lolol:

I always admire people who choose to go to the Perth test, given we've got somewhere between 0 and bugger all chance of ever winning there.
Yes, watching Smith and Labushagne pile on the runs there has scarred me for life! I went there in 2006 too when we had hope for 5 minutes when Monty came on to bowl just before lunch on day one, but that soon evaporated!

I do plan to go again in 2025 and see a test at the new stadium, I’m not expecting much in terms of the result!

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Desperately sad for India.

Not just the best team in this World Cup but for me the best team of any World Cup, they have been utterly dominant and bought joy to a billion home fans and many other millions of cricket fans the world over. Absolute travesty they didn't win today. Feel so sad for Kohli also, player of the tournament, and who may now retire without a World Cup to his name.
Until they met a better team and then crumbled under the pressure Australia were magnificent India were outplayed and out thought.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
that was quite funny, the IOC need to change the World Cup to survive

Way too many dead games and it went on so long with poor crowd number.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
that was quite funny, the IOC need to change the World Cup to survive

Way too many dead games and it went on so long with poor crowd number.
Surely the direction of travel is to increase the number of dead games? Just as FIFA, UEFA and World Rugby are doing …😳

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Surely the direction of travel is to increase the number of dead games? Just as FIFA, UEFA and World Rugby are doing …😳

The Rugby World Cup still had groups needing decided on the last games.

The make up of the Football World Cup/Euros means there is hardly any dead games in groups

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Until they met a better team and then crumbled under the pressure Australia were magnificent India were outplayed and out thought.
The key for me is that Australia learned from those first two losses. They lost vs India in game 1, lost vs SAf in game 2. Then finished off the tournament by beating both of them. Think India, conversely, suffered from not being given a proper working over prior to the final.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My first test match was the Oval test against the Windies in 1976. I only went to day 5 but saw Holding rip through our batting and take 14 in the match.
Mention of Holding. I saw him take 5 wickets at Hove in a 50 over game. A big crowd. How sad will never see the great players at Hove again

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The Rugby World Cup still had groups needing decided on the last games.

The make up of the Football World Cup/Euros means there is hardly any dead games in groups
Hmmm, not convinced, as you get more teams taking part, there do seem to be a lot of games where the outcome is a formality. Some exceptions yes, but it only gets properly competitive at the knock out stages. For the Euros in Germany, I am planning to go out from the 3rd group game onwards whereas when there were only 16 teams I’d have gone out to the whole thing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hmmm, not convinced, as you get more teams taking part, there do seem to be a lot of games where the outcome is a formality. Some exceptions yes, but it only gets properly competitive at the knock out stages. For the Euros in Germany, I am planning to go out from the 3rd group game onwards whereas when there were only 16 teams I’d have gone out to the whole thing.

Euros have 3 teams going through from some groups, seem to recall the last 2 being pretty exciting in the last set of matches!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Amazing that Australia have won this World Cup 6 times now compared to 1 for England on the last ball of the last Final
We supposedly invented the game and created the Empire as well.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Amazing that Australia have won this World Cup 6 times now compared to 1 for England on the last ball of the last Final
We supposedly invented the game and created the Empire as well.
And as I said on another post, when we won it 4 years ago the Australians near me were odious in their mouthy behaviour about how Ben Stokes was a cheat and it was an embarrassment how we had won it. For a country that has now won it 6 times, which is worthy of high praise, a bit of class when you don’t win it would have counted for a lot.

To be fair, I do have several Australian friends who would likely have been embarrassed by hearing that from their fellow countrymen too!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mention of Holding. I saw him take 5 wickets at Hove in a 50 over game. A big crowd. How sad will never see the great players at Hove again
Saw Jimmy Anderson at Hove bending his back for Lancashire, England players will be another thing we won't see in County Cricket in future? :down:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
To be fair, I do have several Australian friends who would likely have been embarrassed by hearing that from their fellow countrymen too!
As an Aussie, happy to confirm I do find that embarrassing to hear. On the flipside, every sporting team has its fair share of knobbers who are more than willing to mouth off with embarrassing statements (especially when their team is losing).

England deserved their win 4 years ago. So would NZ if they'd won it, that was a brilliant final.

As far as this world cup is concerned: agree it dragged on and on, but seen a few people talking about there being too many dead rubbers towards the end. I'd disagree. With 2 games to play each, we still had the likes of Afghanistan in with a chance of making the semis. They then got turned over by Maxwell. Even in the final round of matches, there was interest: semis still weren't locked in (although we did eventually get the semi-finalists that looked most likely, before that final round started we still had NZ, Pak, and Afg all in the running depending on results). It wasn't until NZ aced their final match (which was unfortunately the first of the final round) that the rest of the final round matches became effectively dead rubbers. Also, for me, there was a good bit of interest in seeing which teams would finish 5th through 8th given the Champions Trophy qualification rested on it (well done Eng rescuing that).

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, watching Smith and Labushagne pile on the runs there has scarred me for life! I went there in 2006 too when we had hope for 5 minutes when Monty came on to bowl just before lunch on day one, but that soon evaporated!

I do plan to go again in 2025 and see a test at the new stadium, I’m not expecting much in terms of the result!
I remember us posting 500 odd in Adelaide in 2006 and Australia being 65-3 in response. We're back !

Oh...

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
On a separate note, I've seen Indians have taken the defeat well on social media. My favourite comment has to be threatening to nuke the world: :lolol:

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-20 at 12.40.16.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here