Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian holloway

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Did any Palace fan seriously think they would have got automatic promotion ? Holloway at the end of the day got them in the play offs, their most likely scenario all along, so I think he can be justified in saying, up yours and it is not over yet, not by a long way. If he does get them up, he will be an absolute hero again to Palace fans.

Not at the start of the season, but when Holloway took over there was no reason why not. As for being an absolute hero, I guess that would depend on the fan.
I personally think and hope if we did go up we would not bother buying anybody else and if we are relegated then so be it, at least we would be able to sort out the stadium and be on a firmer footing ready for a second more sustained shot at the Premier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True, BUT he was not manager at the start of the season and took over a team who scored for fun and in a far far better position than any of us thought we would be in.
But which is the realistic postion:-

Freedman lost you your first 3 games - You were never going to lose all season.
Freedman then went undefeated for 14 - Clearly unsustainable esp in this division.
The wins turned into draws from December onwards.
You off loaded your manager and best player.
Then turned the draws to loses.

But when all is said and done, had Freedman/Holloway/Parish said in August 'would you accept 5th', every single one of you would have bitten their hand off.

In the same way Gus/Tony saying '4th ok?' we would have done the same.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The point is that Palarse are all over the place as a club, infighting etc. We are all pulling together, all the team know their jobs and on Monday the whole stadium (-2k) will be rooting for Gus and the team.

This doesn't guarantee we'll win, but it sure as hell doesn't do any harm.

PG

Totally agree. Regardless of what happens on friday and monday we at least go into the games as ready and contented as we could be. The way we have set about securing our playoff status with as little fuss as possible has at least given us the opportunity to prepare for the semi-final without distraction. The same cannot be said of Palace with reports of dressing room splits, an apparently unpopular manager and a chairman who spends a large part of his day arguing with fans on an internet message board.

As you say none this gives us a clear advantage, but it can't hurt either.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
But which is the realistic postion:-

Freedman lost you your first 3 games - You were never going to lose all season.
Freedman then went undefeated for 14 - Clearly unsustainable esp in this division.
The wins turned into draws from December onwards.
You off loaded your manager and best player.
Then turned the draws to loses.

But when all is said and done, had Freedman/Holloway/Parish said in August 'would you accept 5th', every single one of you would have bitten their hand off.

In the same way Gus/Tony saying '4th ok?' we would have done the same.

Yes we would have accepted fifth, but Holloway took over a better team than that. Okay we lost Freedman but Holloway only really needed to stick to the same style of play as Freedman did, if it aint broke dont fix it. Our only weakness was defence, going forward there were not many, if any better than us. So he brought in more forwards and even then we could not score.
Holloway is right about if at the start of the season, but he was not there then so he can shut up.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes we would have accepted fifth, but Holloway took over a better team than that. Okay we lost Freedman but Holloway only really needed to stick to the same style of play as Freedman did, if it aint broke dont fix it. Our only weakness was defence, going forward there were not many, if any better than us. So he brought in more forwards and even then we could not score.
Holloway is right about if at the start of the season, but he was not there then so he can shut up.
Bolaise is the odd one, as he seems to have disappeared.
But hindsight being the wonderful thing it is, losing Freedman was stupid, and the Zaha deal seems to have killed you off.

Murray is your only goal scorer, making it easier to nullify your threat.

In all seriousness I don't know how many penalties you have had this season, but if it is more than the average, the refs will be looking at that.

None of that is anything to do with Holloway.

Sure what IH has done has been great to watch, from the outside, and I'm sure on a weekly basis it must be very frustrating.
But how much is Holloway's fault?
How much is Parish et al?
and how much is just circumstance over the course of a 46 game season.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Bolaise is the odd one, as he seems to have disappeared.
But hindsight being the wonderful thing it is, losing Freedman was stupid, and the Zaha deal seems to have killed you off.

Murray is your only goal scorer, making it easier to nullify your threat.

In all seriousness I don't know how many penalties you have had this season, but if it is more than the average, the refs will be looking at that.

None of that is anything to do with Holloway.

Sure what IH has done has been great to watch, from the outside, and I'm sure on a weekly basis it must be very frustrating.
But how much is Holloway's fault?
How much is Parish et al?
and how much is just circumstance over the course of a 46 game season.

I could not comment on penalties as im not sure myself to be honest.
Obviously I cannot comment on behind the scenes but we totally changed after he had been there a while. Murray got a lot of good service but that seemed to dry up. The shape of the team changed(a winning team) and they just looked deflated, though Zaha most probably was not Holloway's doing.
You lot overrate Bolasie and underrate Zaha but that is just my opinion.

Holloways secret tactic's book-
Must score goals, if no goals scored throw on more forwards, if not enough goals scored throw on more forwards. If that does not work say something funny!!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All this slagging off, of Holloway could backfire very badly. He may have the last laugh. He is not a shit manager. He has a very good track record and has he really done that badly at CPFC ? 5th and probably middle table form overall with him in charge. I fear we are setting ourselves up for a fall. And we all loved Holloway before he joined Palace.

umm..i didnt quite love holloway...but i agree with the setting up for an almighty fall

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Palace are a dangerous side we can't deny that. They do have match winners which we have to be careful of. On their day Zaha, Williams, Bolasie and Murray can hurt us. I would be very surprised if the Palace players are not up for these games, they shouldn't need any motivational speaches from Holloway!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes they would, and it's fair for the owners to say 'well we got 5th which is pretty good', but for Worzel to say it takes the piss, because it was Dougie's work that got them there. Palace went top as Worzel watched his first game in charge (all Dougie's work). Just as it takes a while for a new manager to build a team, it takes a little while for an idiot to ruin one.

If you had offered Palace fans 5th place when Worzel took over, I'm not sure you'd have so many delighted fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes they would, and it's fair for the owners to say 'well we got 5th which is pretty good', but for Worzel to say it takes the piss, because it was Dougie's work that got them there. Palace went top as Worzel watched his first game in charge (all Dougie's work). Just as it takes a while for a new manager to build a team, it takes a little while for an idiot to ruin one.

If you had offered Palace fans 5th place when Worzel took over, I'm not sure you'd have so many delighted fans.
So why should the owners take credit, they are the ones that have screwed it up.

'Comedy' Worzel gets plenty of justifiable grief, mainly self-inflicted and long may that continue.
But it's unrealistic to project Freedman's excellent run through to the end of the season, because that just doesn't happen, esp not in this division, this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And we all loved Holloway before he joined Palace.

No we didn't. He's an unfunny dullard, with very limited tactical nouse. You might personally have 'loved' him. Many of us never have.

Anyone falling into the trap of thinking that Holloway is NOT a shit manager, just remind yourselves, that this is the genius who offloaded Bobby Zamora to the Albion for £100k.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The same cannot be said of Palace with reports of dressing room splits, an apparently unpopular manager and a chairman who spends a large part of his day arguing with fans on an internet message board.

As you say none this gives us a clear advantage, but it can't hurt either.
A dressing room split would give that team a disadvantage. It's not going to help if the team doesn't agree with how the manager wants then to play.

Palace record under Holloway

played 34

Won 11
Drawn 13
Lost 10
He wasn't in charge for their game on the 3rd November, which was their 14th game. So under him, they've played 32 league games:
Won 11
Drawn 12
Lost 9

But they won the first 3 games under Worzel, and giving him much credit for that is generous.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No we didn't. He's an unfunny dullard, with very limited tactical nouse. You might personally have 'loved' him. Many of us never have.

Anyone falling into the trap of thinking that Holloway is NOT a shit manager, just remind yourselves, that this is the genius who offloaded Bobby Zamora to the Albion for £100k.

hans disagrees with spielberg shocker !

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Ian holloway the manager that keeps giving.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its really nothing personal. If anybody had taken upon itself to declare that 'we ALL loved Holloway' then I'd have made clear they didn't speak for me.

I am not bothered about it, is is just I know 100% that whatever I say, whatever opinion I have, you , if you reply to a thread are absolutely guaranteed to take the complete polar opposite view. I actually find it quite funny now as it is so predictable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here