Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I take my DSA taxi driving test tomorrow, any tips?

kip

Aug 2, 2011
It's an Adur private hire licence i'm going for... hopefully it's alright to be fair. Just constant checking of the mirrors and blind spot is obviously of paramount importance!
Oh dear private hire, I hope you are prepared to do some hours. Forget going out on a Friday or saturday for the rest of your life

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah mate, I know I'm gonna have to graft for my coin but I'd happily work every Friday and Saturday night for the rest of my life to avoid ever working in an office again.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Figured they'd be some taxi drivers amongst our ranks, I have my taxi test tomorrow and wondered if anyone had taken it? What's it like compared to your normal driving test?

Obviously I can only have 9 minors, no majors etc and I can't pull up near trees, lamposts, double yellows etc, but was wondering if you had any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance gents!
i've been driving private hire for 27 years+. My only 'test' was to name the streets at either end of 3 roads. Now they even have something called a NVQ, whatever that is. I wouldn't stand a chance! Lol

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
A few lads who work as private hire in Adur who I have spoke too earn about £1300 a week on average (£900 take home minus costs). Don't get me wrong they do work long, longggg weeks, but I ain't ever gonna get a job which pays me that with my lack of qualifications etc. As i said, £16,000 a year office jobs where managers think they are more important than Barack Obama have nearly killed my enthusiasm for life off at the tender age of 25, the great unwashed or not, being a cabster can't make my working life any worse than it already is and that kinda money (Fri and Sats included) seals the deal on my decision!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can someone explain the logic why taxi drivers at certain times are not required to wear a belt. Are they immune to accidents when they have a fare!!!! As for the test, this should be as stringent as that taken for gaining a licence in the first place although judging from the standard of driving of taxi drivers in this area, that can't be the case.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
A few lads who work as private hire in Adur who I have spoke too earn about £1300 a week on average (£900 take home minus costs). Don't get me wrong they do work long, longggg weeks, but I ain't ever gonna get a job which pays me that with my lack of qualifications etc. As i said, £16,000 a year office jobs where managers think they are more important than Barack Obama have nearly killed my enthusiasm for life off at the tender age of 25, the great unwashed or not, being a cabster can't make my working life any worse than it already is and that kinda money (Fri and Sats included) seals the deal on my decision!

. Methinks some people are taking the PISS mate. To earn that sort of money, you'd have to take £200 a day, 7 days a week. Cant be done in my opinion.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I think they tell me most of the damage is done working Friday and Saturday nights roughly 6pm - 5am and they on average scoop about £350 a night. Are they having me on then?! Regardless of that I'd happily take £500 a week home to be fair, but I admit the figures they produced did turn my head about being a taxi driver!

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Can someone explain the logic why taxi drivers at certain times are not required to wear a belt. Are they immune to accidents when they have a fare!!!! As for the test, this should be as stringent as that taken for gaining a licence in the first place although judging from the standard of driving of taxi drivers in this area, that can't be the case.

This. What is the point or purpose of this law?

kip

Aug 2, 2011
This. What is the point or purpose of this law?

If you was to work a Friday or Saturday night you would not want anything hanging round your neck. It is safety for the driver, after 14 years of doing the job I was pleased on a few occasions not to be wearing a belt

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you was to work a Friday or Saturday night you would not want anything hanging round your neck. It is safety for the driver, after 14 years of doing the job I was pleased on a few occasions not to be wearing a belt

That is not the reason that Taxi drivers are exempt. You might not want it hanging round your neck then but did you wear your belt at all other times?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

gully07

Sep 26, 2010
hassocks
good luck with it ive just completed a 6 year stint in the business as a private hire and i will never go back to it it ruins your life thats my opinion anyway good luck

kip

Aug 2, 2011
That is not the reason that Taxi drivers are exempt. You might not want it hanging round your neck then but did you wear your belt at all other times?

very rarely did I wear my seat belt around town, I once had a knife pulled on me and on another occasion had a bottle put over my head. Both times I was caught by surprise and was pleased to not be wearing my belt as I could get out. As a taxi driver you have to way up the risk of attack with the risk of an accident. Most journeys are around town and not on fast roads so you can see why drivers might take the former as a greater risk. I did used to wear my seatbelt when if say I was taking a nice family up to Gatwick or somewhere. It is the reason drivers are exempt.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Figured they'd be some taxi drivers amongst our ranks, I have my taxi test tomorrow and wondered if anyone had taken it? What's it like compared to your normal driving test?

Obviously I can only have 9 minors, no majors etc and I can't pull up near trees, lamposts, double yellows etc, but was wondering if you had any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance gents!

You need to impress the examiner with stories of who you "had in the back of your cab" last week.
As your new, just make them up.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Make sure you've put the meter on.

Go the long way and blame local road works.

Suck your teeth and sigh if the examiner gives you a twenty.Give change in coins,and do it slowly.

Be grateful.I don't usually tip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here