Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I still think we'll get Europe

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
That'll be a lovely problem for Tony Bloom and the recruitment team to have to deal with.

But seriously, I think we'll be fine. We've started to line up / bring in players already.

Enough to both stay up comfortably and have a decent crack at Europe would be more than enough for me.

Last season, Leicester made the Conference SF and West Ham made the Europa SF. They finished 8th and 7th respectively.
I hope so. I'd love to see us in Europe but not at the sacrifice of progression in the league. Fans we quickly become frustrated if we beging to struggle.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It might also be a day when everything just went right for Everton. Watching the Man Utd highlights back again and they had a number of similar opportunities but fluffed their lines. Maybe we are tiring, but Europe will be more tiring.

I’m just going to write today off as a bad day at the office.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
So do most level-headed fans who don't lose their shit after one bad performance.

I definitely lean more towards the level headed but the nature of the defeat is worrying at this stage of the season.

Forest felt like the wife coming home saying 'things aren't working'
Tonight felt like the wife saying 'I've just come back from a Bukake party with the sales team'

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I hope so. I'd love to see us in Europe but not at the sacrifice of progression in the league. Fans we quickly become frustrated if we beging to struggle.
It's a perpetual quandary, isn't it?

Teams aim for Europe, but when they get there, it can be viewed as a distraction from domestic success and the pursuit of trophies and...European qualification.

As much as West Ham fans have criticized Moyes for domestic mediocrity this season, he'll write his name in Hammers folklore if he brings them a European trophy.

If they can do that this season, why not us next?

But seeing as we've never been there before, just one chance to have that problem would be nice for now!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let’s worry about PL after we’ve won a European trophy. And worry about a European trophy after we’ve won qualification-to.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It's a perpetual quandary, isn't it?

Teams aim for Europe, but when they get there, it can be viewed as a distraction from domestic success and the pursuit of trophies and...European qualification.

As much as West Ham fans have criticized Moyes for domestic mediocrity this season, he'll write his name in Hammers folklore if he brings them a European trophy.

If they can do that this season, why not us next?

But seeing as we've never been there before, just one chance to have that problem would be nice for now!
Yep I agree!
Also, one thing I worry about if we don't get Europe is it'll potentially make it harder to keep hold of players and RDZ

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Southampton are awful in a league with some pretty awful sides. So at least there's that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yep I agree!
Also, one thing I worry about if we don't get Europe is it'll potentially make it harder to keep hold of players and RDZ
Yes indeed. Time to smash the ceiling.

The problems that accompany success in both football and life are generally worth having. :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I definitely lean more towards the level headed but the nature of the defeat is worrying at this stage of the season.

Forest felt like the wife coming home saying 'things aren't working'
Tonight felt like the wife saying 'I've just come back from a Bukake party with the sales team'
I get what you mean, but what was she saying after Wolves and Manchester United?

It's a blip - and it's football. Shit happens and every team has the odd off day.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I get what you mean, but what was she saying after Wolves and Manchester United?

It's a blip - and it's football. Shit happens and every team has the odd off day.

I think wolves and united is when the wife comes home and catches you having some 'you' time.

I'm sure when I've slept on this result I'll be more pragmatic. I've just got a bit caught up in European dream and had convinced myself that 3 points tonight were already in the bag.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think wolves and united is when the wife comes home and catches you having some 'you' time.

I'm sure when I've slept on this result I'll be more pragmatic. I've just got a bit caught up in European dream and had convinced myself that 3 points tonight were already in the bag.
It's a natural reaction. I'm probably the abnormal one who isn't overly fussed and can put the defeat firmly in the past. But then I expect the unexpected (assume a defeat and anything else is a bonus) and take one game at a time.

For me, not even today takes anything away from what has been an amazing season.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Think our starting 11 had convinced themselves of that too sadly

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes I think we'll make Europe too. Last night was a shocker and has made it harder but as long as it was a one off perofrmance I think we have plenty enough about us to get the necessary points.

If we set the bar 'low' and aim for the Europa conference then if Villa only pick up one point from their games against Spurs and Liverpool we'll only need one more win to qualify. Unless our goal difference advantage vanishes. In which case we'll need a maximum of four points.

The only way it'll be a struggle is if Villa win all three of their remaining games and spurs win two. I think that's unlikely.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's going to be tougher without Solly.
The last two games have shown what a difference he makes to our starting 11.

I assume Enciso will need to deputise for him and hopefully he can do a job.

I still believe we can do it. Next Sunday is key to that though. We have a week to prepare and RDZ needs to earn his salt, between then and now.
We are exactly the sort of team Arsenal don't want to be playing next week, particularly if City put Everton back in their box in the early kick off.

I'm looking forward to the run in.
It's still in our hands.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's a big IF though. It's hard to recover from a result like that, a very different result to the Forest defeat.

Even if we return to our best we'll probably be well beaten by Arsenal and Newcastle by which time our confidence will be shot to pieces.

Hope I'm wrong but tonight's result feels season defining.
Alternatively it might be a wake up call!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's a natural reaction. I'm probably the abnormal one who isn't overly fussed and can put the defeat firmly in the past. But then I expect the unexpected (assume a defeat and anything else is a bonus) and take one game at a time.

For me, not even today takes anything away from what has been an amazing season.
I already had last night down as a potential banana skin, but not that bad.

Sean Dyche is no fool, and after that start…….? Sh1t happens. Let’s move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here