Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I still love Gus and always will

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I loved the football we played under Gus, for the most part. I cringed at his whoring, accepted by so many on here as him just being honest. Being annoyed was not "bed wetting", just disappointment at his lack of respect for his employers, the fans and the great job he had.

Basically, good riddance from me but tinged with regret at his loose cannon behaviour in interviews. On field great, off field disrespectful.

He now seems intent on trying to disrupt the club's preparations for next season, IMO. How can any Albion fan feel love still?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
appreciated the rescue after the dark days of Russell Slade, but the constant derision and the "stepping stone" comments and actions from Poyet (ever in search of his better job) just kept me from engaging in the Poyet hagiography.

The ultimate mercenary. Thanks for the success, but I can't ever hold you in the highest esteem.

What, the man who came in when nobody else wanted the job & miraculously kept us from ending up in L2 (thus making the job still vaguely attractive for GP to cut his managerial teeth)?! It's heartening to see gratitude is still alive & kicking amongst the rank 'n' file. :rolleyes:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He did a good job getting us out of league 1 and in the championship however his head also grew and grew and became un manageable.

IMHO he was looking for he door as soon as we were looking to operate the club under the new FFP rules. This club mus be run in a sensible way after all we have gone through and if he was not on the same page its better he was not at the club.

Every body puts themself first but normally respects their employer whilst under their employ, no problem with him taking an opportunity to leave as and when it arrived but there is no need what so ever to be disrupting and disrespectful of the club and fans. These things should stay in his head and shared with his nearest and dearest.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Gus was a fantastic manager for the Albion, and I hope once the dust has settled we can remember the good times. I think we have changed for the better under his reign and I shall always be thankful for that. The last three seasons have been awesome.

However, it seems clear to me that his position has been untenable at the club and I am fully supporting the club in their decision to get rid of him at this time. It is a sad time for Albion fans, but ultimately I will back Bloom and his vision for the club over anyone.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
passing from the back,genius how did he think of that one?

I suspect like a lot of Albion fans I thought I knew about playing a passing/possession game - but never really appreciated what what it involved. Back in the day I would look at games when that type of football was played and think it looks slow and a bit boring. Now I believe I am able to appreciate a passing/posession game more, understand what is involved - the skill, the courage, the accuracy, the teamwork, the work ethic etc. And enjoy it. Of course there were games when we did not get it right - but when we did - it was brilliant to watch.

I suspect if all you saw was passing from the back then you are not going to rate, or miss Poyet. We are all different.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I loved the football we played under Gus, for the most part. I cringed at his whoring, accepted by so many on here as him just being honest. Being annoyed was not "bed wetting", just disappointment at his lack of respect for his employers, the fans and the great job he had.

Basically, good riddance from me but tinged with regret at his loose cannon behaviour in interviews. On field great, off field disrespectful.

He now seems intent on trying to disrupt the club's preparations for next season, IMO. How can any Albion fan feel love still?

This with bells on

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I suspect like a lot of Albion fans I thought I knew about playing a passing/possession game - but never really appreciated what what it involved. Back in the day I would look at games when that type of football was played and think it looks slow and a bit boring. Now I believe I am able to appreciate a passing/posession game more, understand what is involved - the skill, the courage, the accuracy, the teamwork, the work ethic etc. And enjoy it. Of course there were games when we did not get it right - but when we did - it was brilliant to watch.

I suspect if all you saw was passing from the back then you are not going to rate, or miss Poyet. We are all different.

It's no exaggeration to say that my opinion on the technical side of football has changed dramatically since Project Poyet transformed the way Brighton play. I'm not shedding any tears about his departure because it's been inevitable, one way or the other, for some time. But I do thank him for the "education".

At times, our football has been sublime. At others, it became clear that to make the patient, tippy-tappy football work, you do need to have some very skillful personnel, and with all due respect, some of our players weren't quite at that level. And you do have to hope there won't be a load of 6ft bruisers on the other side ready to muscle you off the ball.

If Gus gets a chance to manage at a really high level, it will be interesting to see just how far he can take his theories. Could be very pleasing to watch.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It's no exaggeration to say that my opinion on the technical side of football has changed dramatically since Project Poyet transformed the way Brighton play. I'm not shedding any tears about his departure because it's been inevitable, one way or the other, for some time. But I do thank him for the "education".

Summed up very well.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We have played the best football I have ever seen under Gus. Thanks for the good times and good luck.

(but please leave Bridcutt here!!)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
"Dark days of Russell Slade." Russell achieved much more than Poyed ever did and on a zilch budget. Who else would have prevented the inevitability of relegation? Russell is also a great bloke. Poyet isn't and has an ego only rivalled by Mugabe.

Easy there, I thank Slade for everything he did and his general way of doing it, top bloke. However, to say he had zilch budget is just wrong

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

At times, our football has been sublime. At others, it became clear that to make the patient, tippy-tappy football work, you do need to have some very skillful personnel, and with all due respect, some of our players weren't quite at that level. And you do have to hope there won't be a load of 6ft bruisers on the other side ready to muscle you off the ball.

If Gus gets a chance to manage at a really high level, it will be interesting to see just how far he can take his theories. Could be very pleasing to watch.

Good man. It has nothing to do with point scoring or what people think of Poyet as a man or what is currently happening. I feel I understand the game a lot better than I did four years ago. And four years ago I would have told you I understood the game.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

By appealing? You might just as well say that the club is trying to disrupt its own preparations by not simply paying him off and appointing a new manager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
By appealing? You might just as well say that the club is trying to disrupt its own preparations by not simply paying him off and appointing a new manager.

So you believe he wants to stay? He can appeal by all means but he could have dodged that particular question as the response was nothing more than more mischief making IMO.

If it was your 2.5 million being paid out you may have a different viewpoint?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We have played the best football I have ever seen under Gus. Thanks for the good times and good luck.

(but please leave Bridcutt here!!)

It is a given that where ever he goes I suspect Buckley, Barnes, Bridcutt and Spanish Dave will be on his wish list.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I did but since palace don't . Good riddance . Treating us with contempt even now

Don't be swayed . Stick with bha fan bloom

Keep your heads

On the noggin. Poyet has never struck me as a decent human. Good at his job but a helmet campanologist of the highest order

moorw003

Jun 23, 2013
I still love him, but he's gone and I will support the new man in charge without fail.

My take on the situation is he made comments in the heat of the moment after the Palace game, and they were taken very seriously as a statement of intent to leave. When a few days had passed, such feelings had subsided but the club had already taken it's action. It's sad. I find it likely however that the comments I refer too are not limited to what was published in the media, otherwise why would Oatway and co be suspended as well. There has to be something else that will come out after this is done.

Yeh I'm really sad, say what you like he was a fantastic manager for us. Hard to replace.

el punal

The problem here is that the events over the last few weeks have polarised Albion fans alarmingly. Through lack of factual information many have drawn their own conclusions (rightly or wrongly) about Gus. Only time will tell as to whether he was a saint or a sinner.

Personally I thought that he was magnificent for the club. With his charisma and drive he changed the whole ethos of the Albion and put us on the footballing map.

The thing is, when there is an upside there is always a downside. This must have manifested itself with Gus's relationship with the club for it to have taken the action that it has.

To conclude, I am really sad and sorry to see Gus leave in such circumstances - he could have taken us so much further, alas it's not to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here