Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I resigned from my job, what benefits if any can i claim....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And you, as a looney left winger, believe in sponging off the state when you could be working. You probably believe in all the other products of 13 years of Labour excuses.

I've made my peace with Billy but I still feel that people should feel a responsibility to provide for themselves before turning to others to do it for them.

quite a few assumptions in that post, but given this is an internet forum and no-one will really know each other unless you meet them in person I will put it down to lack of insight and forgive you this time.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
Well then you are an idiot. You clearly don't understand the system. He would only be taking the money he has already paid in. While you are stuck in your job at Wetherspoons for the next God knows how long, as these "temporary" jobs tend to work out, he may have been on benefit for 6 weeks, then found a better job and start paying way more tax than you will in your barman job. So in about 2 months, when he finds the work he is skilled at, he will be contributing more to society than you will in your current position, making up way more in taxes than he took from benefits. And again to reiterate, he is only going to be withdrawing money he has already paid in. It is not coming out of yours or anybodies taxes.

While you have a right to feel proud about getting your job, he also has a right to better himself and look at the long game.

The Welfare State is not a savings account. It does not give you the right to work for 5 years then claim back a year of dossing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So, you agreed with my post originally and now you don't?

That's just a little hypocritical do you not think? Just because your peers have a differing opinion.

Am I proud that I worked my way through university at my own cost, no loans, no grants, just my own money?

Yes.

Am I proud that my previous job got to me so much that I decided to leave it?

No.

Am I proud that I now have a bar job instead of what I was previously doing that earned me kudos in a cut throat industry?

Yes.

Why?

Because instead of getting dole, council tax benefit & my rent paid for me I'm going to do a job that although many will not do it to, I will, so that I will pay my own bills rather than having someone else who pays large amounts of income tax 'pay' my bills for me.

It does make me laugh that I'm getting mocked for being upstanding while your on-line friend who just happens to support the same football team as you do gets lauded for 'being brave'

F*ck right off!

I agreed, that for you it may be the best course. However, someone who may be capable of more should perhaps take the short term hit in order to make more of themselves in the long term.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I never once mentioned drowning a poof in a pool so I think not.

I am glad to see that you will all stick up for a Brighton fan scrounging off all of you. If he was a Turkish immigrant collecting the keys to his brand new all expenses paid council flat I expect that you'll all be outraged to Daily Mail proportions.

A scrounger's a scrounger what ever way you try to jazz it up.

The OP's already stated that he's fit to work but you still defend that we all pay obscene tax to cover a lifestyle that he accepts as being a bit cheeky. Congratulations.

Oi Eagle! Your presence may be tolerated but when it's Brighton on Brighton (oooer), Button it!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Welfare State is not a savings account. It does not give you the right to work for 5 years then claim back a year of dossing.

Actually, it does if you need help, which isn't dossing. But no-one in this discussion is trying to skive for a year are they?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Actually, it does. But no-one in this discussion is trying to skive for a year are they?

No they are not. Maybe Billy badly worded the thread tag when making the original post sometime back which has led to this online argument. You, howefer, still believe it is acceptable to claim off the state rather than take a poorly paid job, that is indefensible to decent people.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
Actually, it does if you need help, which isn't dossing. But no-one in this discussion is trying to skive for a year are they?

Why does anyone 'need help'?

There are thousands of jobs out there. Unless you are a work snob you can always get immediate work.

Or you can slag off Jonny Foreigner for taking work for British people who can't be arsed to do the work that is there.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
No they are not. Maybe Billy badly worded the thread tag when making the original post sometime back which has led to this online argument. You, howefer, still believe it is acceptable to claim off the state rather than take a poorly paid job, that is indefensible to decent people.

And still feel the need to have a pop at me for taking a £20 an hour pay cut. I'm used to a certain way of living but now have lost that due to me taking bad pay rather than sitting on my arse doing f*ck all but typing on a message board for 20 hours a day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I apoligise mate, it's hard for me when I'm ironing my Wetherspoons shirt & polishing my 'Challenge Under 25's' badges to not get involved :lolol:

For your sake I hope you will not be working in the Hove George Street branch. Most of the cliental are probably on benefits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And still feel the need to have a pop at me for taking a £20 an hour pay cut. I'm used to a certain way of living but now have lost that due to me taking bad pay rather than sitting on my arse doing f*ck all but typing on a message board for 20 hours a day.

2 pints of past-its-sell-buy-date and a packet of scratchings please.

Whetherspoons are horrible pubs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway, enough of this. I'm now going for a stroll along the prom and afternoon tea with the missus.

Love, peace and liberalism to you all.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
For your sake I hope you will not be working in the Hove George Street branch. Most of the cliental are probably on benefits.

:lolol:

Good point, well made Mr Thumper. Maybe our self-righteous friend gives everybody he serves an extended lecture on their dispicable tea-leafary? Either that, or a hearty gob in their freshly microwaved curry.. :rolleyes:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

may I ask why you took a pay cut/left your job?

I am not advocating sitting on yer arse doing nowt, I am saying that if you are changing your life and as a means to an end you have to take benefits for a short time then I cannot personally see a problem.

some people see the bigger picture, some take your point of view. It's all relative.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Gone a bit mental on here, for the record again........

I asked a question about what if............ any help i could get, if i needed it.....

Not i will be claiming straight away, just what if things go tits up......

Yes im taking a risk,Yes i am aware it may go tits up, however i have worked hard and saved for this situation,which is only sensible.So that i dont go cap in hand straight away,again it was a question for the future.... If desperate... Anyone would want to know,if you want to cover all the bases. As it stands things look good after just a week here,So dont panic im not knocking at the benefits office for a good few months if at all, Thanks to everyone and good luck to everyone, Who knows enough about anyones situation to pass judgement.:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've been thinking about your situation. I wonder what your net contribution to the system is. Given you will be on the minimum wage your tax liability will be pretty low. But, I'd say a significant chunk of the people in Whetherspoons are on the social, so you will be facilitating free-loaders spending their dole cheques inappropriately and also burdening the NHS with the various problems that come with spending all day every day in a pub. Personally, I dont have an issue with this but someone with your views and values obviously must? I therefore presume you will do the honest thing and find yourself another job.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why does anyone 'need help'?

There are thousands of jobs out there. Unless you are a work snob you can always get immediate work.

Or you can slag off Jonny Foreigner for taking work for British people who can't be arsed to do the work that is there.

The point was I have been doing a very low wage job to cover myself to find a career job and that has exacerbated my problems. I stuck it out for 13 long months and need to take a break from that to sort myself out. It didn't make ends meet and it near on ruined me.

Besides, I haven't actually signed on yet (It is not definite that I will) and have managed to put it off for three/four months.

Carry on with the callous abuse though, by all means.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
The point was I have been doing a very low wage job to cover myself to find a career job and that has exacerbated my problems. I stuck it out for 13 long months and need to take a break from that to sort myself out. It didn't make ends meet and it near on ruined me.

Besides, I haven't actually signed on yet (It is not definite that I will) and have managed to put it off for three/four months.

Carry on with the callous abuse though, by all means.

Ok, just returned to this thread so have a bit of catching up to do.

None of my posts were aimed at you, they were aimed at the original poster asking a message board if he should go on the dole because he's quit his job. If you fell I've aimed viterol at you I apologise, I don't come on your board to argue, I prefer to contribute in a more literate & reasoned manner.

Like you, I have left my job due to health reasons. I've had back surgery for a degenerating spine, the operation was a success but the high pressure of my job leads to stress, the stress makes me tense & that's when the muscles around the spine tighten and cause the same pain as before the operation.

In reference to Herr, I am well aware of the clientele in Wetherspoons, it's a stop gap job to keep my gainfully employed until I find a job I am more qualified to do. My wife earns a very good wage and I would not dream to live off her, or the state.

I appreciate that some people find it harder to find work however there are plenty of agencies & temp jobs available for those who are fit to work (like the original poster) I also believe the longer you stay away from working makes it harder to go back to full time employment.

Again, I apologise for any offence taken.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Gone a bit mental on here, for the record again........

I asked a question about what if............ any help i could get, if i needed it.....

Not i will be claiming straight away, just what if things go tits up......

Yes im taking a risk,Yes i am aware it may go tits up, however i have worked hard and saved for this situation,which is only sensible.So that i dont go cap in hand straight away,again it was a question for the future.... If desperate... Anyone would want to know,if you want to cover all the bases. As it stands things look good after just a week here,So dont panic im not knocking at the benefits office for a good few months if at all, Thanks to everyone and good luck to everyone, Who knows enough about anyones situation to pass judgement.:thumbsup:

Psychobilly Freakout,

Just wanted to say i think you've made a courageous move putting your family first, the travelling must have been taking it's toll and there's more to life than work. You're looking after the people close to you.

I lost my job last week but i'm actually relieved that now i can have a few weeks for doing things i just didn't have time for before. The stress of it was giving me sleepless nights and making me feel ill. I won't sign on because i've got too much pride for that, hopefully a few wins on the football - that would be nice. Really need to recharge the batteries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here