Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I quite enjoyed the game

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I think I saw yesterday generally what I expected..a below par team trying to implement a new system against a team who,if they build a head of steam up, could end up top half but no better. I know the stats will say different, but I can only remember two genuine efforts on target that had keepers concerned...their goal and COG effort. Defensively we coped very well, Stockdale looked comfortable, and I thought we seemed the more likely team to build a sustained period of pressure.
I could see what we were trying to do, and liked it! Quality execution is the difference and that is what we are lacking at the moment.
Things I am not sure about...Calderon doesn't have the pace to frighten...therefore for him it will all have to be about the timing of the run and the quality of the pass to him...But the system is also about stretching the opposition to make more space centrally, so still has value with yesterday's line up. Kaz will have to develop...he seemed more involved in terms of possession, but he doesn't look as threatening with his back to goal. He draws players to him, but then he will need a range of passing to release others and I am not sure he has that in his locker.
The challenge for SAmi, and us as fans will be to stick with this style to embed it, even if the early results don't go our way. Buying new players that do allow you to play this way is crucial. We saw this with Poyet...we have a style and we will change personnel to enable that style to be played...my fear is that the Amex crowd in general will not be patient.
The 85 minute exodus just irritates the hell out of me..we were 1 man down, a goal behind with 10 minutes to play. It shouldn't, but it does. It has a touch of arrogance about it that says players and fans are not together..it doesn't happen at away games with longer journeys and I could accept it if were are out of a game...
We were out of the game... IMO.

I left on 89 btw.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think I saw yesterday generally what I expected..a below par team trying to implement a new system against a team who,if they build a head of steam up, could end up top half but no better. I know the stats will say different, but I can only remember two genuine efforts on target that had keepers concerned...their goal and COG effort. Defensively we coped very well, Stockdale looked comfortable, and I thought we seemed the more likely team to build a sustained period of pressure.
I could see what we were trying to do, and liked it! Quality execution is the difference and that is what we are lacking at the moment.
Things I am not sure about...Calderon doesn't have the pace to frighten...therefore for him it will all have to be about the timing of the run and the quality of the pass to him...But the system is also about stretching the opposition to make more space centrally, so still has value with yesterday's line up. Kaz will have to develop...he seemed more involved in terms of possession, but he doesn't look as threatening with his back to goal. He draws players to him, but then he will need a range of passing to release others and I am not sure he has that in his locker.
The challenge for SAmi, and us as fans will be to stick with this style to embed it, even if the early results don't go our way. Buying new players that do allow you to play this way is crucial. We saw this with Poyet...we have a style and we will change personnel to enable that style to be played...my fear is that the Amex crowd in general will not be patient.
The 85 minute exodus just irritates the hell out of me..we were 1 man down, a goal behind with 10 minutes to play. It shouldn't, but it does. It has a touch of arrogance about it that says players and fans are not together..it doesn't happen at away games with longer journeys and I could accept it if were are out of a game...

Unfortunately there has only ever been a real hard core support who will stay to the end and now we have a majority who are happy to leave early. In real terms we aren't that well supported compared to many other teams in this division. However the majority of the away team support will always be the hard core by definition of the fact they have travelled to see their team and have no reason to rush off to beat the transport queues.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Funny, but I enjoyed it many ways too.
We bossed the game and were positive going forward before their freak goal.
We had a long spell on top when down to 10 men.
I liked O'Grady, who thought fought well and had many pluses to his game compared to other strikers over the last 3 years eg winning most balls against opponents, good pace, tireless, and good awareness of teammates in passing.
Good to see Buckley back. The class touches and vision are still there.

Negatives - totally unimpressed with subs CMS and Agustien. A lot of huffing and puffing, but so poor in execution and always in the wrong place when 50:50 balls break into space (will never get that, as a natural trait?)
Ince fitness poor - completely flagging in last 25 minutes, making him a liability.

If TB keeps his word, with some quality additions (plural) by 1 Sept, there are the makings of a positive style of play and a big improvement on the low scoring dross of much of the Amex era home games.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Funny, but I enjoyed it many ways too.
We bossed the game and were positive going forward before their freak goal.
We had a long spell on top when down to 10 men.
I liked O'Grady, who thought fought well and had many pluses to his game compared to other strikers over the last 3 years eg winning most balls against opponents, good pace, tireless, and good awareness of teammates in passing.
Good to see Buckley back. The class touches and vision are still there.

Negatives - totally unimpressed with subs CMS and Agustien. A lot of huffing and puffing, but so poor in execution and always in the wrong place when 50:50 balls break into space (will never get that, as a natural trait?)
Ince fitness poor - completely flagging in last 25 minutes, making him a liability.

If TB keeps his word, with some quality additions (plural) by 1 Sept, there are the makings of a positive style of play and a big improvement on the low scoring dross of much of the Amex era home games.

Freak goal?? Oh please.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here