Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I quite enjoyed the game

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Sorry but football has become a a product. I for one felt very for those that sat around me today and paid £40+ per ticket for r the privilege. If you are going to turn out utter drivil charge the appropriate price. £20 for that performance would have been too much.

I am sorry it's like paying to go to a west end show and an amature dramatics society doing the show in its place.

We will lose 'customers' very quickly. Because belive me we stopped being 'fans' when we moved to the Amex.

Whatever positive spin you want to put on it. It was dire, both sides were awful. One won one didn't. The entertainment value was zero. The skill level wasn't much better.

I don't ask we win every game. I go to be entertained and watch the sport played at a high level.

The players were not fit and the competence level was non existent. For that reason I think everybody who attended today should receive at least a part refund. Nor a promise it will get better. A refund for the shit they endured today.

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Sorry but football has become a a product. I for one felt very for those that sat around me today and paid £40+ per ticket for r the privilege. If you are going to turn out utter drivil charge the appropriate price. £20 for that performance would have been too much.

I am sorry it's like paying to go to a west end show and an amature dramatics society doing the show in its place.

We will lose 'customers' very quickly. Because belive me we stopped being 'fans' when we moved to the Amex.

Whatever positive spin you want to put on it. It was dire, both sides were awful. One won one didn't. The entertainment value was zero. The skill level wasn't much better.

I don't ask we win every game. I go to be entertained and watch the sport played at a high level.

The players were not fit and the competence level was non existent. For that reason I think everybody who attended today should receive at least a part refund. Nor a promise it will get better. A refund for the shit they endured today.

Go back to supporting Manure or Liverpool then. We don't need you here

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

And yet people on this thread ejoyed it. You want them to pay twice as much to make up for your refund.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The match hinged on four things:
chance to Lua Lua not converted
chance to POG no converted
speculative effort from Coke that found top corner
Crofts sent off

Football is a nearly, nearly game and this could easily have gone our way. Where I do share concerns is lack of striker and that SW are frankly not that great.

The last paragraph is key. We were at home to a poor side. Should have been a shoe in three points but we are forced to put square pegs in round holes at the moment.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I really cannot believe the negativity on NSC this evening. Sure we all wanted a win.........so did every set of fans this afternoon. We lost 1-0 for God's sake, playing with 10 men for a hell of a time, (red card, not sure). Up until the sending off we were by far the better team and would probably have gone on to win comfortably.
For what it's worth, I thought Hughes had a solid game, very much in the Upson mould. Everyone has been putting down Chicksen and then as soon as Calde steps up the plate, that is wrong too.
We are missing Stevens. We may still get Clayton. Don't we all think a midfield comprising those two plus Crofts might just be pretty impressive??
Personally I think we robbed Leicester with the £10m for Ulloa. At least O'Grady holds the ball up well and I don't remember him falling over!!
Agreed Fenelon looked average but hey........reward someone who has had a great pre season.
I loved the new tactics. No passing backwards that we were all moaning about.
I will always trust the management of my Seagulls to bring in someone to eventually bang in the goals that our play deserves. I hope it is someone none of has heard of before.
Yes we are 18th, but we are just 3 points from the top.
Give Sami a chance. He has only had a few weeks and I for one quite liked what I saw today.
Some of us need to get our heads out of our backsides. We no more deserve the Prem than any of the other Champo sides just because our set up is so amazing. We Will get there and possibly this season with a couple or so more additions.
Hats off to the Wednesday support today.......brilliant. A true Yorkshire club, unlike the other pretender!
Up the Albion.

226 posts in 11 years and you come out with that :moo:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Should have been a shoe in three points

Come on, we've been in this league for 3 seasons - you should know that NO match in this league is a shoe-in. Last season we beat the runaway Champions comfortably home and away yet struggled against the weaker sides. It's such a hard league because no team is miles better than the other - especially not after the 1st game of the season.

I actually think that is the problem: People think we have this God given right to win football games. We don't. We'll win some, we'll lose some, we'll draw some. That's why we watch football - if it was predictable, what's the point?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Can't believe some are treating a defeat against one of the worst teams in our division as some sort of success, funny old game football

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can't believe some are treating a defeat against one of the worst teams in our division as some sort of success, funny old game football

No-one is treating it as a success, but perhaps people are looking with some element of objectivity.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

I guess we all look for different things to enjoy in a game. I did actually enjoy the way we played with the attacking 4-2-3-1 and defensive 4-4-2 and the tactical adjustments made when we went to 10 men. We all see different things in a game so as they say you can't please all the people all of the time.

People will have to judge for themselves if what they see is worth the money they spend in it

I really cannot believe the negativity on NSC this evening. Sure we all wanted a win.........so did every set of fans this afternoon. We lost 1-0 for God's sake, playing with 10 men for a hell of a time, (red card, not sure). Up until the sending off we were by far the better team and would probably have gone on to win comfortably.
For what it's worth, I thought Hughes had a solid game, very much in the Upson mould. Everyone has been putting down Chicksen and then as soon as Calde steps up the plate, that is wrong too.
We are missing Stevens. We may still get Clayton. Don't we all think a midfield comprising those two plus Crofts might just be pretty impressive??
Personally I think we robbed Leicester with the £10m for Ulloa. At least O'Grady holds the ball up well and I don't remember him falling over!!
Agreed Fenelon looked average but hey........reward someone who has had a great pre season.
I loved the new tactics. No passing backwards that we were all moaning about.
I will always trust the management of my Seagulls to bring in someone to eventually bang in the goals that our play deserves. I hope it is someone none of has heard of before.
Yes we are 18th, but we are just 3 points from the top.
Give Sami a chance. He has only had a few weeks and I for one quite liked what I saw today.
Some of us need to get our heads out of our backsides. We no more deserve the Prem than any of the other Champo sides just because our set up is so amazing. We Will get there and possibly this season with a couple or so more additions.
Hats off to the Wednesday support today.......brilliant. A true Yorkshire club, unlike the other pretender!
Up the Albion.

It wasn't terrible today by any means, on many other days a peformance like that would have grinded out a point.

But I don't think any "overreaction" is really against this game, it's probably much more to the lowered expectations of the season as a whole. We've gone in a little over 15 months from being the form team of the Championship to being (probably) lower mid-table also-rans. People are having a protest and letting off steam about that, which I entirely understand.

The game itself, there were more than a few positives. I thought our defensive shape looked good, Hughes has slotted in nicely and I have no big problem with Calde at LB, much better than Chicksen (though would very much want Ward signing wrapped up soon). Ince was a little bit better than some his pre-season performances. During our decent opening period, JFC looked OK (but then faded away). I thought Kemy came on and tried a few things, they didn't come off but I'm not going to hang him as a waster as many others will. I like that Sami backed LuaLua (though not sure the inside forward role is his best position). COG gave a Barnes-like workmanlike performance albeit he doesn't look a natural goalscorer, his miss was the true turning point of the game.

We are still 3 or 4 good signings away from worrying the top 10 but I think Bloom will make them by the end of the window. So it's far from being all doom or gloom - but Bloom and Sami have a lot of work to do to avoid our most lacklustre Amex season yet.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The match hinged on four things:
chance to Lua Lua not converted
chance to POG no converted
speculative effort from Coke that found top corner
Crofts sent off

Football is a nearly, nearly game and this could easily have gone our way. Where I do share concerns is lack of striker and that SW are frankly not that great.

Unfortunately we seem to have become a very unlucky side at home now.

The crucial moments always seem to favour the opposition. Went to the game today thinking new start and came away thinking same old cack luck.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Unfortunately we seem to have become a very unlucky side at home now.

The crucial moments always seem to favour the opposition. Went to the game today thinking new start and came away thinking same old cack luck.

I know what you mean but there's a lot of truth in the old adage about making your own luck. We're simply not ruthless and haven't been for a long time. I have a good feeling that Hyppia will be more likely to address that than Oscar ever was. While we're clearly a long way from the finished product without a few new faces, the players do at least seem to want to get forward quicker. It's what happens in the final third that needs to change drastically.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Come on, we've been in this league for 3 seasons - you should know that NO match in this league is a shoe-in. Last season we beat the runaway Champions comfortably home and away yet struggled against the weaker sides. It's such a hard league because no team is miles better than the other - especially not after the 1st game of the season.

I actually think that is the problem: People think we have this God given right to win football games. We don't. We'll win some, we'll lose some, we'll draw some. That's why we watch football - if it was predictable, what's the point?

The trouble is the opposition do not roll over and die.

PS: A really confident Lualua would have shot with his left foot. More practice probably will do it.

In 1978-79 we lost 0-2 at home to Cambridge United. I think that was a hangover result from the previous season.

Ince made a high percentage accurate passes, but they were always the most obvious. Eagerness to get forward quickly, but a choice of a different pass wide in front of a winger like Buckley might have been a better bet. No good passing into the gap in front of Calderon as he has not got the legs.

Last edited:

Westmead Fan

Jul 17, 2014
i think the formation is not right for the set of players Brighton currently have, 433 with wing backs pushing up will get the defense exposed to the better teams who are quick to counter attack.

i would like to see 5-3-2/3-5-2 having 2 strikers & wingbacks/wingers bombing down the wings. the wingers brighton have are pretty poor & overall lack goals.

i would like to see or similar

Stockdale
Dunk Greer Hughes
Bruno Chicksen/(Ward if he comes)
Nzuzi
Crofts Jfc

O'Grady CMS

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think I saw yesterday generally what I expected..a below par team trying to implement a new system against a team who,if they build a head of steam up, could end up top half but no better. I know the stats will say different, but I can only remember two genuine efforts on target that had keepers concerned...their goal and COG effort. Defensively we coped very well, Stockdale looked comfortable, and I thought we seemed the more likely team to build a sustained period of pressure.
I could see what we were trying to do, and liked it! Quality execution is the difference and that is what we are lacking at the moment.
Things I am not sure about...Calderon doesn't have the pace to frighten...therefore for him it will all have to be about the timing of the run and the quality of the pass to him...But the system is also about stretching the opposition to make more space centrally, so still has value with yesterday's line up. Kaz will have to develop...he seemed more involved in terms of possession, but he doesn't look as threatening with his back to goal. He draws players to him, but then he will need a range of passing to release others and I am not sure he has that in his locker.
The challenge for SAmi, and us as fans will be to stick with this style to embed it, even if the early results don't go our way. Buying new players that do allow you to play this way is crucial. We saw this with Poyet...we have a style and we will change personnel to enable that style to be played...my fear is that the Amex crowd in general will not be patient.
The 85 minute exodus just irritates the hell out of me..we were 1 man down, a goal behind with 10 minutes to play. It shouldn't, but it does. It has a touch of arrogance about it that says players and fans are not together..it doesn't happen at away games with longer journeys and I could accept it if were are out of a game...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here