Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have seen the greatest ever acting performance I have seen in a film in my life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is clear that the performance by any standards was excellent but on here it was shit apparently. So that says to me there is a clear agenda.
and rising to it helps how?

You know it's the greatest.
It's critically acclaimed as one of the best.

But it's Spielberg, so agenda or not, poking the bear on a message board is considered as fun by a few.
Once again you've handed it to them on a plate.

What do you think will happen next time?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
and rising to it helps how?

You know it's the greatest.
It's critically acclaimed as one of the best.

But it's Spielberg, so agenda or not, poking the bear on a message board is considered as fun by a few.
Once again you've handed it to them on a plate.

What do you think will happen next time?

Carry on. All I wanted was a debate. People that have actually seen it to comment. I guess it is the way of NSC now that people will be slaughtered for having an opinion and made to be an utter wan*er for it. That is why I hardly ever post my opinions anymore on here. I have got the message now. I still believe it was an extraordinary performance, Spielberg or not but it seems I was wrong and it was utter shithouse. Silly me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Carry on. All I wanted was a debate. People that have actually seen it to comment. I guess it is the way of NSC now that people will be slaughtered for having an opinion and made to be an utter wan*er for it. That is why I hardly ever post my opinions anymore on here. I have got the message now. I still believe it was an extraordinary performance, Spileberg or not but it seems I was wrong and it was utter shithouse. Silly me.

90% of people have agreed with you. Some haven't (no one has suggested it was shit) surely they are allowed that opinion.

You say you wanted a debate but are chucking your toys out of the pram when someone disagrees with you. Maybe what you really wanted was everyone to agree with you?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing

The juxtaposition between the acting JUGGERNAUGHT that is Nicholson and the Spunky tissue that is Shelley Duvall (Wendy) are what makes this scene for me. She makes him look TOO good at acting.

And this is far and away her best scene. (Sorry Shelley, if you're reading this.)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
90% of people have agreed with you. Some haven't (no one has suggested it was shit) surely they are allowed that opinion.

You say you wanted a debate but are chucking your toys out of the pram when someone disagrees with you. Maybe what you really wanted was everyone to agree with you?

Not really. No one has commented apart from people who have not seen it telling me I am a knob for holding it in such high regard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Carry on. All I wanted was a debate. People that have actually seen it to comment. I guess it is the way of NSC now that people will be slaughtered for having an opinion and made to be an utter wan*er for it. That is why I hardly ever post my opinions anymore on here. I have got the message now. I still believe it was an extraordinary performance, Spielberg or not but it seems I was wrong and it was utter shithouse. Silly me.
But when I dipped my toe into the debate, I felt, rightly or wrongly, you became aggressive, (for want of a better word), because I had chosen to not see the film.

At that point I wandered away because I wasn't going to get embroiled in it, with you.

How many non film/Spielberg related opinions have you voiced and been made out to be an utter.... ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice swerve from the obvious making me out to be a complete knob. I can take people disagreeing with me what I am getting so pissed off with is the clear agenda against me by a large swathe of NSC. I could understand it if I were scum and a bad person but I am not, not by a long way.

I have not mentioned the K word or made you look like a knob but,tbh your problem is that you can't take people disagreeing with you. you are neither scum or a bad person but you should really learn that by quoting superlatives as definitions you are going to put yourself in to conflict with other posters.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not really. No one has commented apart from people who have not seen it telling me I am a knob for holding it in such high regard.

If my 90% was an exaggeration then your "no-one" is too. That said i read a thread of differing opinions about acting performances and acting in the usual style of NSC (actually with a little less pisstaking and rudeness. I hate to say to US but the only person in this thread being overly aggressive, rude and personal is you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But when I dipped my toe into the debate, I felt, rightly or wrongly, you became aggressive, (for want of a better word), because I had chosen to not see the film.

At that point I wandered away because I wasn't going to get embroiled in it, with you.

How many non film/Spielberg related opinions have you voiced and been made out to be an utter.... ?

Every post, that is why I don't comment anymore on anything.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw it today and i look not to rile be chastising his performance. He's good, most certainly. Puts a hell of a lot of effort into being in and remaining in character and looking the part. I just tend to think he again and again only turns up to do these vast almost cartoonish characters though. Nothing gentle or normal, but always ensnared in the role of dark underlords or grandiose figures, hence no subtlety. In the film, which i thought was just almost entirely pony from start to finish, the actor in there so briefly but brought me into a moment of swelled-eyed fascination was Jackie Earle Hayley. A strange creature that perhaps by odd and eerie face alone can bring intrigue and possible menace.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I can take people disagreeing with me

No. You can't.

but it seems I was wrong and it was utter shithouse. Silly me.

90% of replies have been of the opinion "it's good but not the greatest ever acting performance I have ever seen in my life, yet you have somehow twisted that round in your mind to "they are all saying Lincoln is shithouse in order to get a rise out of me."

We haven't said that Lincoln was "shithouse" at all. Most of us that have seen it have said it was good to excellent in fact.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Don't know about that but he was good in the butterly effect.

Is that the "I can't believe it's not butter effect" or the "utterly butterly effect"?

Personally I liked the original. Thought the sequel was just made as a cash cow after the popularity of the original.

Couldn't resist. :moo:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Saw the film last night. Have to say I agree with Meade's Ball. I enjoyed the movie but couldn't help feeling I was watching a propaganda film. Day Lewis was cartoonish - really over the top but lacking any emotional range at all. I didn't believe either of his relationships with his sons at all. I expect him to get an Oscar but not principally for his acting.

I wouldn't even say this was the best performance in the category "films about old US presidents". Id give that to either Laura Linney or Paul Giamatti in John Adams (ok it was a mini series). Even in Lincoln, Sally Field was more believable - demanded more empathy.

So sorry, I've seen the movie and can't agree. I know very little about the art of acting but I know when I'm touched by a performance and DDL is not on the list for this one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saw the film last night. Have to say I agree with Meade's Ball. I enjoyed the movie but couldn't help feeling I was watching a propaganda film. Day Lewis was cartoonish - really over the top but lacking any emotional range at all. I didn't believe either of his relationships with his sons at all. I expect him to get an Oscar but not principally for his acting.

I wouldn't even say this was the best performance in the category "films about old US presidents". Id give that to either Laura Linney or Paul Giamatti in John Adams (ok it was a mini series). Even in Lincoln, Sally Field was more believable - demanded more empathy.

So sorry, I've seen the movie and can't agree. I know very little about the art of acting but I know when I'm touched by a performance and DDL is not on the list for this one.
That's you, [MENTION=282]Meade's Ball[/MENTION], and now a fair few other 'normal' people coming to the same conclusion as my gut feeling.
That being:-

The film is not as good as the sum of it's parts.

I was saving my cinema pennies for Flight, but having sort critical reviews I'll be missing that one too, due to it's level of predictability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here