Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have seen the greatest ever acting performance I have seen in a film in my life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Christopher Whaltz's monologue in the opening 20 mins of Inglorious Basterds is the best I have seen in a long long time.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Out of interest [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION], what was the best acting performance you had seen prior to this? I always find it hard to be so black and white about things.

Am off to see Lincoln tomorrow and will report back, but I tend to find I'm watching DDL act rather than watching the person. He tries so hard to embody the character that it become all about DDL and his dedication to the art. I hope this isn't the case here. And your title almost makes my point - how can you have an "acting performance"? If you are noticing how good the acting is surely you're missing the point of acting?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Am off to see Lincoln tomorrow and will report back, but I tend to find I'm watching DDL act rather than watching the person. He tries so hard to embody the character that it become all about DDL and his dedication to the art. I hope this isn't the case here. And your title almost makes my point - how can you have an "acting performance"? If you are noticing how good the acting is surely you're missing the point of acting?

The reviews that I have heard suggest that DDL's fine performance is just one of many in the film. Apparently James Spader and Tommy Lee Jones also get notable nods so hopefully the viewer just soaks up the history and the experience. Will find out on Monday.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I think Christopher Whaltz's monologue in the opening 20 mins of Inglorious Basterds is the best I have seen in a long long time.

He is also brilliant in Django Unchained. No idea if he's up for best supporting actor Oscar but he should be (Edit: I've just checked, and he is)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

The way he makes his notes, drinks the farmers milk and smokes his pipe are truly menacing.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
You've obviously not seen Trolls.

I don't believe you can topple this brilliant, and heart-wrenching performance. Really gripping, his emotion just runs naturally.

It's a great performance but my vote has to go to "man in black top and shades" for his gut wrenching scream in Sharktopus

[yt]m1Z87k9LC9U[/yt]

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Definetly this. Riveting opening to a film that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Yeah I really liked it. Spielberg really pulled his punches which is quite unlike him and I respect that. A lot of fine performances (obviously DDL, but also Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones.)

"The greatest acting performance I have ever seen in my life"

Really? You do yourself no credibility whatsoever as the self appointed resident film buff of NSC by coming out with crap like this just because you recently got back home from seeing a GOOD film by Steven Spielberg (and god knows it's been a long time coming what with his recent efforts.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
a GOOD film by Steven Spielberg (and god knows it's been a long time coming what with his recent efforts.)

To be fair, he was always going to struggle to better himself after his high water mark of Hook.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah I really liked it. Spielberg really pulled his punches which is quite unlike him and I respect that. A lot of fine performances (obviously DDL, but also Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones.)

"The greatest acting performance I have ever seen in my life"

Really? You do yourself no credibility whatsoever as the self appointed resident film buff of NSC by coming out with crap like this just because you recently got back home from seeing a GOOD film by Steven Spielberg (and god knows it's been a long time coming what with his recent efforts.)

It is my opinion. Others are free to have their own.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Paul scofield in man for all seasons.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My best performances for what it is worth

Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln
Christian Bale - The Machinist
Ralph Fiennes - Schindler's List
Jodie Foster - The Accused
Anthony Hopkins - Shadowlands

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. The greatest ever acting performance I ever have seen in my life. A lesson in the art and craft of acting. Daniel Day Lewis WAS Lincoln. An extraordinary performance I was privileged to see.

Sad in a way, obviously, if this is the greatest acting performance you have ever seen in your life, there's not going to be another one like it along for a while ? so, you may as well stop watching films as there will be nothing along for a while to even remotely rival it, even Transformers 4 ( 5-6-7) .....Uncle, its good, maybe very good but lets try to keep our feet on the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here