Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I have has enough of Savage and Sutton

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't mind a petty grievance. Let me illustrate again what I hate.

"Chris, at the start of the season, you said City won't win the league. Admit you were wrong"

"I didn't say that"

"Yes you did. Admit you were wrong. You said City are now bigger than united. That's rubbish"

"It's not rubbish. It's a fact. What have united won?"

"United are the biggest club in the world Chris"

"Not if they aren't winning trophies"

"That's Rubbish Chris, and you know it"

(Caller)

"We have a caller from Brighton. What do you want to talk about, Kevin?"

"Well, I was at the match today and..."

"OK answer me this. Are City bigger than United?"

"But I was going to talk about...."

"Just answer me this. Are city bigger than united?"

This is different level broadcasting shitehousery. Petty bullying wankery. Into the sea with him.
Other radio shows (and stations, not to mention podcasts) ARE available 🤣🤣

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Other radio shows (and stations, not to mention podcasts) ARE available 🤣🤣
Live. National. Radio. Man.

It's the only place where it's at.

Or should be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No it isn't.

It is an aberration. Which is why I have been fulminating about it.

It is the farthest thing away from typical BBC that I can think of.

There is nothing wrong with people sounding like they are chatting over a beer in a pub. It all depends who the people are, though. Innit.
Unlike you to miss the point of a post completely.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I used to smile at their silliness. But it had got seriously bad lately. Savage is a bully. I can't believe he's acting on instruction. This is the man who turned up for a winter word cup in a cold South Africa with nothing but shorts and Hawaiian shirts in is suit case. The man is thick as shit. If he is acting on instruction then I'd like to meet the producers who told him "Just act like the **** you are, Rob, me old fruit" and give them a dry slap.
Any outfit will do for a winter wordle cup!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm not sure it's 'typical BBC'. I've no idea on viewing figures, etc, but there's clearly method behind the perceived madness, or else it would change things.

The majority of debates in life these days seem to focus on the two sides being polar opposite, which is pretty stupid because they are never going to agree. As a spectacle, I'm not into it at all but, clearly, a lot of people are.

What I would say, in defence of Savage and Sutton, is that I've listened to snippets of the show where it's not been how @Harry Wilson's tackle describes. Yes, there's banter between the two of them, but they are perfectly able to have the odd grown-up conversation now and again. It's just all the other shite goes viral!
That’s where I am too. Sometimes their dynamic works better than others but overall it’s a good listen.
My routine of stretching out in the bath (after playing football on a Sunday afternoon), with radox bubble bath and 606 on the radio, is sometimes the highlight of my week.

Last edited:

WestYorkshireSeagull

Dec 28, 2021
Agree about Savage - when Sutton was paired with a professional commentator, usually Ali Bruce Ball, 606 was a good listen because there was balance to it. I find the Monday Night Club with Mark Chapman and various journalists the best weekly listen - Sutton is often on that and far better. Savage brings it all down - I still don’t know if it’s quite as low as Gabby and others on TS though - that’s just garbage - but it’s definitely approaching it
I agree with you on the MNC with Mark Chapman (albeit I could do without the forced random banter/insult exchange in the first 3minutes every episode).
They have Rory Smith, a really good football journalist, on the panel which helps. The more journalists involved in TV/Radio broadcasting the better as far as I'm concerned - much better knowledge, broadcasting skill and impact than 95% of ex-player broadcasters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree about Savage - when Sutton was paired with a professional commentator, usually Ali Bruce Ball, 606 was a good listen because there was balance to it. I find the Monday Night Club with Mark Chapman and various journalists the best weekly listen - Sutton is often on that and far better. Savage brings it all down - I still don’t know if it’s quite as low as Gabby and others on TS though - that’s just garbage - but it’s definitely approaching it
Agree with this. Sutton is really good, and his double-act with 'Bruce' was brilliant. Him and Savage just don't work together. MNC is a great listen, but they do tend to devote too much time to too few items, which are all too often about the big clubs.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Both annoying funts! Put me off ever watching that BT SPORT scores show. Sutton's annoying put on voice really grates.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It is pretty crap and I struggle to find anything worth listening to on my long trips to and from the Amex. I used to enjoy Danny Baker in the mornings but now it is just waffle and “fighting talk” which is shit. Talk Sport is no better unless the boxing is on on the trip home.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
It is pretty crap and I struggle to find anything worth listening to on my long trips to and from the Amex. I used to enjoy Danny Baker in the mornings but now it is just waffle and “fighting talk” which is shit. Talk Sport is no better unless the boxing is on on the trip home.
Agree about Danny Baker - perfect pre-match entertainment

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Petty bickering. About bollox. And Savage is the problem. Unlistenable now.

"Chris, are Sheffield Wednesday a big club or not?"

bickering

Next caller wants to talk about Chelsea

"Before we start, Dawynne (for that is the caller's name), Sheffield Wednesday, big club or not?"

"Er, I wanted to talk about Cucurello"

"Come on, big club or not?"

"well, er.."

"See Chris, you're talking rubbish again!"

"Robbie, I was talking about Chris Wilder. He's at Sheffield United!

"See, again, you don't know what you're talking about"

It's Savage. Thick as mince. Get him off the radio, the fifth former who always invites a fight then runs away before leaving in May and going on the dole. The man of Brown. Utter, utter waste of oxygen.
They are shocking. 606 has gone downhill since they took over. I preferred it when they had a professional footie journalist/commentator hosting and a sidekick like one of them. It made the debate more interesting and gave it more depth. They just serve up surface level banality.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I like Fighting Talk. Ok, it can be hit and miss depending on guests but it usually makes me smile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here