Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate the Tory Party (apart from Kenneth Clarke)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not really bothered where they went to School, University etc.

More interested in what jobs they have done in the 'real world' before they went into Politics.

I'd like to see a list (all three main Parties) to see what experience thay have, or are they just 'career Politians'?

Yes, this is far more concerning. Most cabinet ministers will have gone to Oxbridge but previously most would have had other jobs rather than political researchers/special advisors. IMHO, politicians who know nothing but politics will have a narrow outlook on life. As Kipling might have said - what do they know of politics who only politics know?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
So did you celebrate when the Tory MP Ian Gow was blown up by the IRA on his own driveway in Hankham (part of Pevensea for those who do not know the area)? How about when the slimeball Bellotti challenged for his ex-seat afterwards? Did you support him?

Ian Gow was a magnificent man, a principled politician and a superb constituency MP. His murder was a f***ing disgraceful act .... if there were a handful of MPs in parliament, let alone government of his quality I would not feel so utterly jaded.

I have never been a supporter of the Tories but I voted for Gow the first time I was eligible to vote because I considered him to be a superb MP. Didn't vote in the by-election

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Are you saying that you hate the Tory Party because three of the cabinet went to University together? If I have interpreted your post correctly it is a very strange reason to hate them. They weren't schoolmates, they were, probably, university mates but I can't see why should be a reason to hate the Party.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Why is it surprising?

Oxbridge is, and always has been a political hotbed.

Off the top of my head, five of the most famous Communist sympathisers went to Cambridge in the 1930s.

Just expected more of them to have come via the Prescott route of Trade Unionist and Labour rather than University.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not really bothered where they went to School, University etc.

More interested in what jobs they have done in the 'real world' before they went into Politics.

I'd like to see a list (all three main Parties) to see what experience thay have, or are they just 'career Politians'?

Cameron was PR man for Carlton (TV), wasn't he?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Did I detect a bit of class envy from the OP......'I hate the Tory party'....(except Ken Clarke.....who has been soft on crime and is behind the few who want to join the Euro)...big giveaway methinks.....seems you have a left leaning road on politics....nothing wrong with that,that is your choice...but please, you later correct yourself by saying you hate the Labour party as well...in that case your opening line would be 'I hate politicians.......

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Are you saying that you hate the Tory Party because three of the cabinet went to University together? If I have interpreted your post correctly it is a very strange reason to hate them. They weren't schoolmates, they were, probably, university mates but I can't see why should be a reason to hate the Party.

we now have a health minister who believes magic sugar pills can cure disease ...... he is CLEARLY not the right person for the job and I reckon part of the reason he's there is because of his old mate being PM .... perhaps I'm just some conspiracy theory nutter but there are certain facts supporting my bonkers hypothesis

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I never liked Ken Clarke since i found out he was a highly paid vice chairman at British American Tobacco (BAT). And he still refuses to agree that passive smoking can cause cancer! He also faced allegations relating to activities of BAT in lobbying the developing world to reject stronger health warnings on cigarette packets and evidence that that corporation had been involved in smuggling and targeting children with advertisements. Tit.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Did I detect a bit of class envy from the OP......'I hate the Tory party'....(except Ken Clarke.....who has been soft on crime and is behind the few who want to join the Euro)...big giveaway methinks.....seems you have a left leaning road on politics....nothing wrong with that,that is your choice...but please, you later correct yourself by saying you hate the Labour party as well...in that case your opening line would be 'I hate politicians.......

fair point

I hate the current crop of politicians and don't see things improving .... totally agree with the career politician points .... it stinks and it's such a crying shame .... still at least it's better than the cluster f*** that is US politics

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I never liked Ken Clarke since i found out he was a highly paid vice chairman at British American Tobacco (BAT). And he still refuses to agree that passive smoking can cause cancer! He also faced allegations relating to activities of BAT in lobbying the developing world to reject stronger health warnings on cigarette packets and evidence that that corporation had been involved in smuggling and targeting children with advertisements. Tit.

yeah, on reflection he's a bit of a cock as well

that just leaves Vince Cable out of the high profile politicians who isn't a complete arse ..... and he looks too much like Barry Morse from 'Space 1999' to be taken seriously.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As Kipling might have said - what do they know of politics who only politics know?

That sums it up perfectly.

Sure, a few of them sit on the Board of big companies, turn up once a year for the AGM, collect their cheques, and disappear into their (second) homes.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Trouble is if Boris was leading the cons they would get elected he's a very clever man who's convinced everyone hes a half witted buffoon

I am reminded of Les Dawson playing the piano

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just to add some brevity to the thread, I suspect that you have to be able to play the piano well to be able to play it that badly!

.... and as Dolly Parton once said "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap"

BJ is thoroughly disingenuous

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We're in deep deep shit being rules by right wing fascists who are hell bent on personal fortune, and it's not going to get any better while a worm is in opposition. Depressing times.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Michael Gove, Oxford 85-88 - President of Oxford Union
Jeremy Hunt, Oxford 85-88 - President of Oxford University Conservative Association
David Cameron, Oxford 85-88 - twat

Education, Health and PM all school mates

GRRR!

Oh .... and Boris Johnson, Oxford 84-87 -President of Oxford Union

And I hate the Lib Dems because for around 5-10 years they used Lewes Council tax payers money to try and destory the football club that I love by dragging us through endless incredibly expensive court proceedings.

Why instead of worrying where politicians went to school, don't you worry about how these politicians actually effect your life and then make judgements on them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here