Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I feel a transfer record coming on.....

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I think the club will make one big signing before the window shuts that will break our transfer record. Anyone agree?

I heard that the fans are going to be "blown away" by the next signing (sauce: Twitter or something).

Therefore, I fully expect us to take Harry Kane (Hurricane) on a season long.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm very happy with this transfer window so far. If nothing else happens, I think we've got enough to be comfortably in mid-table, probably top ten - which I think if we're honest we'd all have been delighted with a couple of months ago!
If however we can sprinkle a little magic dust on the team by borrowing a fantastic player we could never otherwise afford, on a three month (93 day) loan I'd be more than happy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm going to join in with many on this thread. By common consent, we're two -- or, if not, one -- player short of our requirements with more than four days to go before the transfer window shuts. We probably agree that permanent signings are better than loans, and that season-long loans are better than 3 or 1 month ones. It looks as though the club are looking to make permanent signings (Marshall, Manu, and, no doubt others from the now obligatory left field), season-long loan signings (Vydra, Tex). If they don't come off, they don't and in that situation, we'll look for shorter term loans, perhaps with the view to turning them into permanent.

The situation is fine in my book. Transfer policy over the summer has been far better than any of us could have anticipated, and there's also a strategic, long-term element to it too. It's a long way off from last year's panic, short-term deluge of loans.

Completely agree

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ok I stand corrected if that's the case but seriously why are you bed wetting considering the efforts we've gone to already in this window and what might be about to happen today?

Serious question & using bed wetting only as it is common parlance on here...before you bed wet further.
Bed wetting ? Tedious unnecesaary insult. Thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If nothing else happens, I think we've got enough to be comfortably in mid-table, probably top ten - which I think if we're honest we'd all have been delighted with a couple of months ago!
I wouldn't have been. Although we could get relegated, I'm not expecting it or worried about it. I'm hoping for promotion, and finishing around 9th or 10th is just matching our first season back in the Championship - I'm hoping for (even if not expecting) better.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wouldn't have been. Although we could get relegated, I'm not expecting it or worried about it. I'm hoping for promotion, and finishing around 9th or 10th is just matching our first season back in the Championship - I'm hoping for (even if not expecting) better.

CH agrees with you and wouldn't be at the club if he didn't think he was capable of pushing for a place in the Premiership. Thats difficult to attain because other clubs will outspend us in their attempts to get there. We just have to spend more wisely and and work harder on the training ground and on the football pitch and thats then his job and the backroom's job to fulfill that part of the deal

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I repeat, why would Watford want to sell him when he signed a new contract just a month ago?
A season long loan is an investment to get someone of his quality. His wages will be much more than our wage structure and his transfer fee could be astronomical - if Andre Gray is worth 9m, then Vydra is worth more. There is investing and then there is gambling - paying huge fee for someone is a gamble, one that I very much doubt TB would want to take. To me, a loan is the only option, but the club have surprised us so far this window so you never know

Edit: Just seen the Callieri story. $9m!! Bloody hell, maybe TB is willing to gamble then!
Vydra has a good record at this level, but only scored 3 goals in the Premiership when he was at West Brom.

I'm wondering if Watford signed him anticipating that they may not stay in the top division for long. Therefore by loaning him out this season they can still use him next season if they go down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alright then - many of us, not all. OK?

9th. or 10th. represents fantastic progress from last season.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Is this our first season with an actual training ground?

Should I head down there to embarass myself on tele on deadline day?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Is this our first season with an actual training ground?

Should I head down there to embarass myself on tele on deadline day?

Think Sky have pulled the plug on that after last years dildo incident :lolol:

Also the Norwich fan bumming his mate up against a gate in the background

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Alright then - many of us, not all. OK?
I don't know, I wasn't trying to split hairs I don't know how happy others would have been.

9th. or 10th. represents fantastic progress from last season.
Yep, but last season was unusually poor. We didn't miss the playoffs by much in our first season (were top 6 with a few games to go) and got there the next two seasons, so to be delighted with knowing we won't make it this season seems odd to me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know, I wasn't trying to split hairs I don't know how happy others would have been.

Yep, but last season was unusually poor. We didn't miss the playoffs by much in our first season (were top 6 with a few games to go) and got there the next two seasons, so to be delighted with knowing we won't make it this season seems odd to me.
Not unusually. Not for us. In terms of our league position it probably wasn't far off being in our top twenty of all time. Just because we had some good seasons before the last one, progress doesn't automatically follow - as we found out painfully last season!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not unusually. Not for us. In terms of our league position it probably wasn't far off being in our top twenty of all time.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? It's irrelevant that we used to be rubbish, when our owners were doing the club over, after we lost our ground, etc etc. How we would hope to do this season is related to our current resources etc, and with our current ground, facilities, players and budget, last season was unusually poor. Teams with our facilities and budget don't usually do that badly.

And despite all those things, you think we should be delighted to finish mid-table top ten. I disagree.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you being deliberately obtuse? It's irrelevant that we used to be rubbish, when our owners were doing the club over, after we lost our ground, etc etc. How we would hope to do this season is related to our current resources etc, and with our current ground, facilities, players and budget, last season was unusually poor. Teams with our facilities and budget don't usually do that badly.

And despite all those things, you think we should be delighted to finish mid-table top ten. I disagree.

Not being obtuse at all. We weren't necessarily rubbish when we were in lower divisions, and most of the time we didn't have wicked owners trying to flog us off to developers.
It's simply that just because we're pretty sure we've improved the squad (and the management) since this time last year, it doesn't automatically follow that we should be in the play-offs (or the top two). We're not on different sides here - I'd be just as pleased as you if we kick off next season in the PL, and yes, I do want to see Albion in the top flight again in my lifetime, but it won't be an abject failure if we don't make it this year. Rome wasn't built in a day, and perhaps it'll take more than one summer transfer window for CH to build his promotion winning side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's simply that just because we're pretty sure we've improved the squad (and the management) since this time last year, it doesn't automatically follow that we should be in the play-offs (or the top two).
I didn't say otherwise.
We're not on different sides here - I'd be just as pleased as you if we kick off next season in the PL, and yes, I do want to see Albion in the top flight again in my lifetime, but it won't be an abject failure if we don't make it this year.
I didn't say it would be.

It's not that I expect us to finish in the top 6, I don't, but it's got to be the aim, so I wouldn't be delighted with 8th - 10th.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's not that I expect us to finish in the top 6, I don't, but it's got to be the aim.
I think we can call an agreement then! I don't expect a top 6 finish either - but I agree the aim has always got to be high. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the AIM should be to finish as champions. Our only difference, I think, is that I won't be as upset as you if we just finish in the top ten - after almost 60 years of following the Albion, that seems like a good place to be to me!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
still think theres another one to come maybe just before the deadline

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here