Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I feel a transfer record coming on.....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My guess is we were pretty much nailed on to get Vydra, then Reading somehow managed to get the Russian off the payroll, and have used the freed up wages to get ahead of us for the deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least it would seem the club doesn't need 6 loanees.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Spending other people's money is fun but the kitty is presumably £5m less than it would have been if LD hadn't signed...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would want him on a season long loan!

BUT THE CLUB ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LOAN WINDOW !!!

Season long loans CANNOT be done in the loan window.

Thanks very much - I heard you the first time. This Vydra thing has been rumbling on for a while, so just because the club mentions the loan WINDOW, you get your knickers in a knot. Just wait and see what happens. :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thanks very much - I heard you the first time. This Vydra thing has been rumbling on for a while, so just because the club mentions the loan WINDOW, you get your knickers in a knot. Just wait and see what happens. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the insult.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Zamora, Hemed & Murphy are the players brought in to get us more goals than last season. Hitting double the amount of goals we scored (like the three promoted teams) should ensure a very healthy finishing spot. Hopefully the two attacking signings should help. I'm still a Marshall man as I believe the service he'll provide the likes of Hemed and Zamora could be the difference for us. Maybe we'll go back in with £3.5m on Tuesday then sulk off to the loan market if we get blown out again.

Blackburn certainly need the cash

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Simply that the rules are that season long loans are done in the transfer window, and the loan window is just for 93 day loans.

The club are in the argus today talking about using the loan window, ie 93 day loans, if they don't get their transfer targets.

Doubt has been introduced. This is not good.

What do you expect them to say? If we don't get our targets by the end of the window then we won't bother strengthening at all until January? I'd rather we signed someone unitl the 11th of December (even if we sign them on the 1st day of the loan window) than not at all.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What do you expect them to say? If we don't get our targets by the end of the window then we won't bother strengthening at all until January? I'd rather we signed someone unitl the 11th of December (even if we sign them on the 1st day of the loan window) than not at all.
I'd rather they didn't introduce doubt before the transfer window has actually shut. Plenty of time to assess the squad and talk about the loan window from then onwards.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'd rather they didn't introduce doubt before the transfer window has actually shut. Plenty of time to assess the squad and talk about the loan window from then onwards.

Seriously the club can't win. Why not just let the club get on with it and not read something into every comment that comes from the club? Ideally all our business will be sorted by Tuesday but there's a chance that it won't. In that situation, we will obviously look to the loan window.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the club will make one big signing before the window shuts that will break our transfer record. Anyone agree?

I'm not convinced that we'll break our transfer record but, given the excellence of the transfer policy this window, my positivity is pointing to probably two excellent signings (which might be season-long loans).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At least it would seem the club doesn't need 6 loanees.

Exactly. I was really underwhelmed by just about everything last season. Even if we do end up with a couple of loans I don't think that we can doubt the club's intent this season, even if it goes tits up again.

Love it if we broke the transfer record but I am pretty happy with the business done so far anyway so am quite relaxed about it. We do need some more firepower but if it has to be via the loan system so be it. The core of the team is OURS this season, that is important imo.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm going to join in with many on this thread. By common consent, we're two -- or, if not, one -- player short of our requirements with more than four days to go before the transfer window shuts. We probably agree that permanent signings are better than loans, and that season-long loans are better than 3 or 1 month ones. It looks as though the club are looking to make permanent signings (Marshall, Manu, and, no doubt others from the now obligatory left field), season-long loan signings (Vydra, Tex). If they don't come off, they don't and in that situation, we'll look for shorter term loans, perhaps with the view to turning them into permanent.

The situation is fine in my book. Transfer policy over the summer has been far better than any of us could have anticipated, and there's also a strategic, long-term element to it too. It's a long way off from last year's panic, short-term deluge of loans.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm not convinced that we'll break our transfer record but, given the excellence of the transfer policy this window, my positivity is pointing to probably two excellent signings (which might be season-long loans).

You are more likely to be right than me. I just get the feeling from what has been in the press in the last few weeks that something big is on the way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Love it if we broke the transfer record but I am pretty happy with the business done so far anyway so am quite relaxed about it. We do need some more firepower but if it has to be via the loan system so be it. The core of the team is OURS this season, that is important imo.

Very much this.

12 months ago, we were reliant on getting some loans in to plug numerous gaps and deficiencies in the squad just to put a team out. This time round, we've managed pretty well thus far without having a single loan player on the books. Anyone we bring in now will be to supplement what we already have, to give us something different. We certainly won't be in the ridiculous situation of having 5 or 6 players in on loan, which led to that farcical nadir when we couldn't even fit them all in the matchday squad (along with that baffling Al Habsi fiasco).

We're still a little light in a couple of areas. I'd like to see a striker with pace brought in, as that's still something we're lacking. But other than that, I think anyone else we bring in on loan will be a bonus, not a requirement out of desperation like last year.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

It's no doubt just a reply from a jouranalists question. The club have done exceptionally well this transfer window with the 4 first team players we've signed on top of a couple of very decent back-ups without losing anyone we haven't wanted to. Even if we don't manage another signing before the window shuts we've had a great window. We actually have something pretty close to a play-off team now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here