Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Don't Like That Name....

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
My brother in law's real name is Peter but he's always been called Lee. Not sure of the origins of that one.

The colleague I sit next to at work is called Daryl but his real name is David. Apparently when he was at school there were 4 Davids in his class and they needed to differentiate between them.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Before I worked in hospitals Nursing I worked in Nursing homes and care homes and I would say 80% or more of the men and women went by different names other than their birth names.
Strange but something I always noticed.
Some of the stories they used to tell about why they were known by those particular names was fascinating.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My dad used his second name for most of his life as he hated his original first name. On a slightly different subject, I played football with a fella, let's call him 'Tall John', for about a decade. His next door neighbour then joined us. One week when 'Tall John' was away the new guy asked: "why do you call him John?". To which the entire team answered: "that's his name". His reply: "no it's not, his names Bill". It appeared that he had been too polite at the beginning to correct people and then just accepted the change of name for the next ten years.....

This happened to me. I worked in the same pub for 5 years on and off, before during and after uni. I was "John" for that entire time for all the locals because I didn't correct the first person to call me that! My name's David.
But I had a nickname all through school that even the teachers used and a different one when I lived in Sheffield that everyone used, so I guess I have got used to answering to names other than my own. When people ask me now if I'm "a Dave or a David" I'm always tempted to offer up some bizarre alternative and insist they call me that.

AND... my brother is Mark but his real name is John.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
My nickname at University was given on the first day of arrival I turned up at the student halls soaking wet as it was pissing down, wearing a filthy old Colombo style raincoat mac, and wearing a pork pie hat.
The girls nicknamed me DOM !!! Dirty Old Man ha ha ha ha !
It stuck all the way through Uni.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I use a name different to my birth name. All my paperwork refers to my real name, but I've been called Baz for over 25 years. It derived from a TV programme and has stuck.

I still get a little confused when people refer to me by my Christian name.

The husband of my class teacher is known by a different name to his forename. I can't think of anyone else.

So your first name's not really Barrel? Disapppointing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I know 3 people that go by their middle names rather than their first names.

Interestingly, I went to my Nan's funeral last week - her given name was Annie, but her family called her Nancy. Her own brothers did not know that her real name was Annie (until they saw the order of service)!! How bizarre.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
My mum uses her middle name instead of her first name - mind you they are both bad names in my opinion and a chap at work was called Leslie and he hated it but didn't want to upset his Mum by changing it. Shortly after she died he came into work and said from now on call me Ray... ???

My nickname at University was given on the first day of arrival I turned up at the student halls soaking wet as it was pissing down, wearing a filthy old Colombo style raincoat mac, and wearing a pork pie hat.
The girls nicknamed me DOM !!! Dirty Old Man ha ha ha ha !
It stuck all the way through Uni.

Have a similar story with a friend of mine at Uni. No idea why but on the first day he was referred to as "Big James" and till this day everyone in our group of friends still call him by the initials BJ or Beej. Was always strange to hear people on his course or his family call him James!

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Other nicknames my mates at Uni and mates now have include, Pinky Her real name is Aparna but apparently Pinke in Gujurat means cute. my mate Darren is Hippy obvious one that, My mate Andy has several he's a bit slow on the uptake so Trigger, Dave, Rick as when he was younger looked just like Rick Astley. my mate Mark is Bonzo as he looks like a bloodhound ha ha ,
My mate Paul is Spud,god knows why ????
Others include Stiffler, Weasel, Tanky, Squeaker, Ginger, Toppy, Hammy, Bubs , Pig, Elephant Head, Buzzby, Spam, Piggy, Sticky Robo, Camouflage , Hovis coz he's INBRED, Foetus, Carcus, Blob, Banner, Mouth, Moley, Uggy.
Bloody endless comical list !!!:D

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I had an uncle and aunt who married as Horace and Agnes, but then became Mike and Jane.
My mum was always known by her middle name.
I know two people known as Eddie because of their cycling history, but they are Cameron and David, really.
One of the Eddies named his son James, but has called him Jamie since birth.
I generally only answer to my real name at work, as everyone has just called me Sully since I was at school.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I know a..William Richard David Collins.....everyone knows him as ' Dave Collins ' ( apparently he didn't like William or Richard! )

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
My wife is thai , all Thais have a birth name and a shorter name ...........as in my wife is Amornrat but known as Mon and my daughter is Suphansa but known as Eye.
For some reason my short name is not short.............fat piggy !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here