Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Don't Like That Name....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My wife is known by her middle name, right bloody pain if you forget when booking flights or sorting out financial matters.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
My niece (on my wife's side) changed her name by deedpoll to Tia. I wasn't popular when i suggested to Mrs Scampi that it sounded like the name of a transexual hooker. My mother in law doesn't like to be called Grandma or nan and wanted to be called Loveday by our kids. I refused point blank although i do call her Lovejoy (not to her face obviously, i'm stupid, but not that stupid). She later asked if the kids could call her Lum lum as thats what my feral offsprings cousins call her. Thats not happening either. When we see her we call her by her christian name, Francis. And when we're at home it's either the aforementioned Lovejoy or Granny Franny.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
My brother has always been known by his middle name, never his given first name. I don't think my parents ever said the first and surnames together till too late. He suits his middle name better too. My grandma was known as "peg" to everyone, so much so I'm struggling to remember what her real name was.

Margaret maybe ? Not sure quite how it morphs into peg or Peggy
But for someone I know it has done just that
Religion maybe ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I struggle with my adopted children's names.
Not helped by them being 'odd'.

When changing their birth certificate we gave them middle names, but as yet never had a conversation around my dislike of their names.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, I know of a football manager, real name Neil, but more commonly known as Colin . . . .

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all of my aunties (8) used their middle names and many of my not so distant relatives have (very difficult if you use ANCESTRY)in Wales it is also quite commonplace.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
My parents, brother, relatives in Spain and many family friends call me by my second name ( common English name) but my wife and friends call me by my first name (carlos). Life would have been easier ( certainly when in the mob) if I'd gone with my middle name. TBH, I just couldn't be arsed with the hassle of changing it!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Slightly different, but I always use an abbreviated version of my real name as I don't like the full name. I think now, my sister is the only person in the world that uses my full name - except Mrs P when I'm in trouble :down:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I use my middle name, so do two of my friends and both my grandfathers did too. It's not all that rare, it's particularly common among politicians: Gordon Brown, Boris Johnson, Harold Macmillan and Ramsay McDonald to name just four. And Paddy Ashdown and George Osborne don't use their given names at all

Harry Richard Knight, ex-chairman of the Albion.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i use a different name. It also helps confuse back stabbers.

I know loads of people like this for prob just as many reasons, some understandable and some a bit odd.

BOF's real name is Boring.

I always thought Looney was your real name. I was rooting for you in that internet war battle or whatever you call it.

I'm quite upset.

You mean your internet wars do not include your real name?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I suspect a lot of this was down to the tradition of naming a child after the father or grandfather and you would end up with several generations, possibly living in the same house with the same first name. It could well be that that tradition carried on in that family and to avoid everyday confusion, one or more was referred to by another name (such as their middle name)

Of course it could also be down to other reasons like a nickname that stuck and so on....

This occurred with my Dad, my grandfather was a James and named my dad James Anthony, who is still known to this day by his immediate family as Tony.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My father's name was Albert. Nobody called him Al or Bert, so I practically didn't know his name for lack of it's use!
Most called him a shortened /nickname form of our surname.
Naturally I just called him Dad.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Most people know me as Doug. My father gave me the same christian name as him and it saved confusion.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I've always gone by my middle name. My parents have never called me by my first name. Dad's Spanish and they often call the son by the same name then give him a nickname. In my case, it's my middle name.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Well, it seems as though this is quite common. It has now got me thinking how many other people that I know are doing the same thing.???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here