Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I bet the supporters who witnessed "The Hereford game" .......................

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Hereford weekend was an incredible experience that ,no matter what success or failures we have in the future, will never be forgotton. I went up with a bunch of mates and stayed in Bath the night before. The KM own goal, Sir Robbie, their miss right at the end, the blubbering, the journey back. Epic

Wind the clock forward, three defeats after going ahead. Meh, childs play !

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I was there but it is irrelevant as I'm never worried or overly optimistic after just 2 matches in a season.

D

Deleted User X18H

I did go to the Hereford v Morecambe playoff semifinal in 2006 does that count?

Strangely i met an old Crystal Palace player a few times. He had played at the Goldstone and his son was an unused sub in our Hereford game. In '06 he (the dad) was a taxi driver in Hereford.

Guesses?

Dave Martin.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Umm, I don't want to detract from the high thankfulness of reminiscing about Hereford, but I've been kinda thinking this week that part of the reason I already think we are in for a disastrous season is because misplaced loyalty has taught me how to spot one. The defensive disarray on Saturday specifically reminded me of the 4-2 defeat at Pompey under Martin Hinshelwood. I will be overjoyed if I am wrong but I think we're in for a horror show.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Umm, I don't want to detract from the high thankfulness of reminiscing about Hereford, but I've been kinda thinking this week that part of the reason I already think we are in for a disastrous season is because I have seen so many relegation seasons. The defensive disarray on Saturday specifically reminded me of the 4-2 defeat at Pompey under Martin Hinshelwood. I will be overjoyed if I am wrong but I think we're in for a horror show.

A Petterson, P Watson, D Cullip yellow card, G Butters yellow card, R Pethick, P Brooker, A Oatway yellow card, R Carpenter, D Marney, S Melton (S Wilkinson yellow card, 72), G Barrett red card (s/o 76)
Subs not used: A Hinshelwood, W Packham, N Jones, P Rogers

A slight difference in quality of player nowadays!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hopefully nothing will ever come close to Hereford. Back then relegation to the Conference was a bigger deal in any case but I think we all knew the stakes couldn't be higher. Without a ground, it's hard to imagine the club could have survived a spell in the Confernce. I felt rough but my abiding memory is my mate who walked down on to the flat part of the terrace during the game unable to talk to us. At half-time, he came back and said "I can't handle this". Was white as a sheet and vocalised pretty much how I felt.

On the way home we overtook a stretch limo with blacked out windows and my brother-in-law, driving, said "I bet that's that f***** Belotti". But the windows wound down and it was a bunch of pissed up Albion fans celebrating. We drove along the M4 honking our horns and laughing.

So the OP is right. A couple of bad results are nothing to get concerned about. And the Withdean years taught me that you can still be excited by a good team regardless of the level. The idea of a third full Amex concerns me though so I'm still hoping for Premier league football even if, ultimately, it's unlikely to be as fulfilling as the Championship.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
.......................are not as worried about our start to the season as some on here, are they? I' m not at all worried. Worry was etched on all the Brighton fans faces that day. Please post your pictures of that day in Hereford :thumbsup:

And of course the joy!

Anyone already writing off our season after 2 league games, before mid-August is frankly an idiot.
My only real concern is that people are talking about the team lacking in match fitness - and some players had commented that under OG we'd got straight into ball work, rather than standard fitness work. That could simply be the difference between an English and Spanish pre-season, but may cost us a few weeks worth of points.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
The Hereford weekend was an incredible experience that ,no matter what success or failures we have in the future, will never be forgotton. I went up with a bunch of mates and stayed in Bath the night before. The KM own goal, Sir Robbie, their miss right at the end, the blubbering, the journey back. Epic

Wind the clock forward, three defeats after going ahead. Meh, childs play !

I think we ordered the Frascati to celebrate.....

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Dave Martin.

Nope but thanks for guessing. Google has just told me the dad passed away in 2008, such a shame. He entertained me for ages about playing in front of the North stand, not having a rivalry back then and the quality of the pitch and much more. His son (in 97) was on the bench and never came on; it destroyed him for months. In the hereford dressing room no one said a thing, they just got washed, dressed and left, the loss was a real sucker punch to the town. Anyway the Dad...

mickhilljp3.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nope but thanks for guessing. Google has just told me the dad passed away in 2008, such a shame. He entertained me for ages about playing in front of the North stand, not having a rivalry back then and the quality of the pitch and much more. His son (in 97) was on the bench and never came on; it destroyed him for months. In the hereford dressing room no one said a thing, they just got washed, dressed and left, the loss was a real sucker punch to the town. Anyway the Dad...

View attachment 46087

Well, the pic tells me that is Mick Hill - can't say I have ever heard of him.

Was his son Jon?

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I went with my brother, we couldn't get a ticket for the Brighton end so we blagged a couple of tickets for the Edgar Street Stand.

My memories of the day: A couple of Brighton lads had got into the home end and got a bit of a shoeing prior to kick off, that bull they used to parade around the pitch, Norton's notes (Hereford's captains programe column) saying how they knew they'd win, Agana, Foster and Johnny (flying postman) Williams up front.....I was so tense I'd had a headache for days.

Horrible match which was celebrated without joy, just relief.

Did you get your ticket from Chris, who edited the Hereford fanzine Talking Bull, via Attila? If you are from Upper Beeding and were in the Victory pre-match then you were sitting next to me. I got the third spare ticket.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Yes. Yes I do remember that - although I don't remember much about the day as a whole.

4 mins 20 for those that don't - we were that close to going out of the football league

[YT]-4SyMPHlwn8[/YT]

Every time I've re-watched this I STILL can't work out how he didn't score that. Horrible - then brilliant - on the day.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I was in Hereford, ticketless in a pub undercover with the landlady playing radio commentary for the locals, it was an experience I never want to repeat, stressful to say the least,... so in answer, this blip is not anywhere near that day.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Bloody painful game that was, from panic and pain to elation when the whistle blew.

Glad I was there and one of the best sporting occasions i have experienced (in the end)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here