Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I am the exemplar of a JCL and plastic glory hunter...

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
An interesting self reflection Goldstone 1976 but I believe your thinking is flawed, meaning you are neither plastic nor worthy of shame. My thinking is down to fact that you can self recognise your JCLesque behaviours. Only a true fan knows what being a loyal supporter is and therefore knows what it isn't. The rest live in ignorant bliss in believing that watching a successful team on the telly amounts to supporting a team. A true plastic would be unable to self recognise as they have no real supporting experience on which to reflect. Offload your self loathing and have a great day!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The twitching worked - I'm alone on the bus. I've just been given a balloon to inflate and have been promised a "clapper", "....if there are any left". Can't wait.

Bus definitely has JCLs on it (including some who didn't know that CU had lost 2-0 to Gateshead away - I'm looking at you @ pogue mahone :wink:); some are talking about their upcoming holiday in the Ardeche.

No one is pissed yet (boo), but cans of lager have appeared.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
An interesting self reflection Goldstone 1976 but I believe your thinking is flawed, meaning you are neither plastic nor worthy of shame. My thinking is down to fact that you can self recognise your JCLesque behaviours. Only a true fan knows what being a loyal supporter is and therefore knows what it isn't. The rest live in ignorant bliss in believing that watching a successful team on the telly amounts to supporting a team. A true plastic would be unable to self recognise as they have no real supporting experience on which to reflect. Offload your self loathing and have a great day!

You, Sir, are a gent (if indeed you possess a Y chromosome) and scholar. Your argument is compelling and you're obviously a great judge of character.

I'm already having a great day, and intend for it to continue. :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Goldstone1976 you ARE Nick Hornby and I claim my £10 in used notes with nonconsecutive serial numbers. I hope you're still biting the heads off of sugar mice and then discarding the bodies on the way to Cambridge United matches.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Goldstone1976 you ARE Nick Hornby and I claim my £10 in used notes with nonconsecutive serial numbers. I hope you're still biting the heads off of sugar mice and then discarding the bodies on the way to Cambridge United matches.

Busted. It's a fair cop, squire.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hmmm. I've been trying to upload a photo (the first of many I was planning to post) of the rather impressive uninflated yellow balloon I've been given for your delectation and delight, but I can't see the normal upload button on the image upload sub-screen. I can select the right image, but there doesn't seem to be any way I can actually upload it to the site.

I've tried downloading tapatalk, but that won't even let me log into NSC, saying that the user "Goldstone1976" already exists. Umm, I knew that.

So, if you're eager for apposite and entertaining images from my day out, I could do with a little tech help (I'm on an iPhone and currently logged into the site via a browser).

Don't worry; I won't take a lack of offers to help as a sign of total disinterest. I'll just upload them when I get home.

Apparently, the one player I know, Luke Chadwick, is likely to be on the bench. It's hardly worth going now :nono:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I guess I would be described by many on here as a Brighton JCL but I enjoy it none the less. I went to Newcastle to see us promoted, held a Goldstone season ticket and saw all the matches in '83 through to the cup final but drifted away during the Gillingham and Withdean years to follow Bognor.
I''m now 52 years of age and have had an Albion season ticket since we moved into the Amex. I meet 5 mates at each home match, have a few beers and a sing song and then go home mostly having had a great time. It's not the end the end of the world for me if we don't get promoted as long as we play positive football and give the youngsters a chance.
The posts from seasoned supporters from the Withdean years that criticise JCL's like myself, I tend to ignore as I realise we all contribute to the income that gives the club a chance to grow further.
At the end of the day I'm sure there is a place for both the diehards and the JCL's like myself that together make us stronger. We all want the same thing, but some more than others which doesn't make us JCL's bad people.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm not sure that you can be a JCL if you held a Goldstone S/T. More like a prodigal son, Shirley?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Since when did 'few' mean two? ;)

The point was and is, that due to circumstances, very many fans can't make loads of the games but that the number of unique fans each year would be considerably higher than the average attendance. And being pedantic, regular actually can mean once or twice. If a fan goes once a year each year, it's regular.

That was exactly my point.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
You, Sir, are a gent (if indeed you possess a Y chromosome) and scholar. Your argument is compelling and you're obviously a great judge of character.

I'm already having a great day, and intend for it to continue. :thumbsup:

No Y chromosome but you have given me a nice bit of distraction from writing my Uni assignment, so I can make tenuous claims to being a scholar today. Glad you're enjoying your day

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No Y chromosome but you have given me a nice bit of distraction from writing my Uni assignment, so I can make tenuous claims to being a scholar today. Glad you're enjoying your day

I knew that one day I would be grateful that I hadn't made a presumption of gender when conversing on here with someone that I didn't previously know and today is that day. You've made it all worthwhile. Mind you, I suppose that your user name is a little bit of a clue. Either that, or you're a closet member of the Village People.

Half time here. Cambridge fans outnumber their Heed opposition about 2:1 and by about 4:1 in volume. The balloon, flag and beach ball ratio is closer to 100:1.

Cambridge are playing 3 5 1 1 and totally dominated the first 15 minutes bringing out a good save by their keeper once and two other on-target saves. Heed are playing 4 3 2 1 and had lot of possession for the last 30 mins without creating any real danger. Their midfield enforcer was very very lucky not to get a second yellow. One deeply amusing head tennis rally, comprising perhaps 10 "shots". Oh how I laughed condescendingly. Until the other fans turned to look at me. I think one of them might have seen me twitching on the bus. Oh well.

Good luck with your assignment!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cambridge 1-0 up. Ok, ya - that was rather good, wasn't it?

Short corner, second ball to a back post header from the CB

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Luke Chadwick on on 65 minutes. Now it'll be worth watching. Bugger, I don't know his number.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cambridge 2-0. Dead centre free kick from 23 yards. Two over the ball; one runs towards it and just before he gets there, the second player starts running. First player peels off to the right; second player curls it around the wall. Really high quality FK.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Cambridge 2-0. Dead centre free kick from 23 yards. Two over the ball; one runs towards it and just before he gets there, the second player starts running. First player peels off to the right; second player curls it around the wall. Really high quality FK.

How's the atmosphere?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
2-1. Champion, lass.

Ball from left wing to back post. Header pushed across to the middle. Nodded in.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Went to watch Cambridge in the FA trophy final a few weeks back (one of the Cambridge players is my sons Godfather). Prices were ridiculous, as they were today which is why we didn't go again today.

To be fair, most of the fans around us were 'proper' Cambridge fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here