Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I am the exemplar of a JCL and plastic glory hunter...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
A lot of people remained fans, but skipped the Withdean years in terms of regular attendance, I suspect because, they had to - we wouldn't all have fitted in.

Fair weather fans, only interested when the facilities are good, don't give a hoot about the team beyond that. At least you admit it.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I am sure the club were very grateful to you for allowing others to fit in, particularly when attendances fell 2,000 below capacity. I imagine Dick Knight would give you a pat on the back and a cheeky wink.

There were quite a few games that I couldn't get a ticket for. It wasn't always below capacity.

Maybe on the dark cold week nights yes, but with most of the 'stadium' uncovered, can't blame anyone when it's bucketing it down.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just make the point that you actually do follow a league team and go to their games, you're not some armchair Man U fan. I saw you at Burnley away earlier in the season. How many on your coach today would make that commitment? Probably none of them.

A little harsh. Yes, there will, be a LOT of day trippers, but Cambridge United have a good support at that level, and their away following is similar in numbers to many league teams - usually in the mid-hundreds. That's more than Fulham, Wigan or Blackburn manage.

I grew up in Cambridge, and United were always passionately supported by a substantial amount of people who were very dismissive of 'two club wankers' - 2cws, as they call them.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There will be a few JCL plastic glory hunters supporting Peacehaven today when they play Bognor at the Amex.
I'm sure Peacehaven only have one fan @DrNotthenineo'clocknews :whistle:

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A little harsh. Yes, there will, be a LOT of day trippers, but Cambridge United have a good support at that level, and their away following is similar in numbers to many league teams - usually in the mid-hundreds. That's more than Fulham, Wigan or Blackburn manage.

I grew up in Cambridge, and United were always passionately supported by a substantial amount of people who were very dismissive of 'two club wankers' - 2cws, as they call them.

This.

You're spot on about their away support.

I think people forget that they were in the play-offs for a place in the first season of the Premier League.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I went to see Cambridge Utd play once when I was living there for a few months. Seemed a decent enough place, main songs I can recall were (unsurprisingly) "U army! U army! U army!" and "Come on you U's". Are you swotting up for the coach, or are you going to brazen your way to Wembley?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
that's boll-ocks

No it's really, REALLY not.

'I didn't go to the Withdean because I wanted one of the THOUSANDS of people who couldn't get a ticket each week to go instead?'

Nah, you just couldn't be arsed to go. Alright you wont admit it any more apparently but that doesn't change the fact that for years the Withdean was well below capacity week in, week out even whilst the weather was nice and even against the big teams so to suggest that the reason you didn't go was because you couldn't get tickets for our small capacity ground is absolutely ludicrous.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I did exactly the same thing when Exeter City got to the play off final against Morecombe a few years ago, I think it was the second game ever played at the new Wembley Stadium, and I, along with the other 95% of Exeter 'fans' who attended that day, only went to see the new stadium. The game itself was cringeworthy, families chanting "Exeter" - 'clap, clap, clap' and "here we go, here we go, here we go", which sounded more like a church choir than a football crowd, not to mention 'that' chant had died out about 10 years previously. And then when Exeter scored, it was more like a polite ripple of applause rather than scenes of crowd going mental. I do remember nodding in agreement with a few 'genuine' Exeter fans who complained about all the JCL's there. :) Exeter lost the game and I didn't really give a toss, but it was good sight seeing trip, and the only time I've been to the new Wembley so far.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Oh I know they have a decent support especially for their level I'm just pointing out that it is unlikely that of the 10000 people travelling by coach (warning arbitrary figure pulled out my arse) it's unlikely that your coach will have one who would be amongst the ~250 at Burnley on a Tuesday night.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm leaving in half an hour. To answer some of the questions posed:

- I've decided not to waste the £15 coach fare, so will be taking that...
- I've now read 2 recent BBC articles and have gleaned the following: Cambridge beat Gateshead 1-0 at home, but lost 2-0 away which was just a few days ago. The manager is called something Money. They have two players (strikers?) returning from injury who may cause a selection problem. That should be enough for a two-two and a half hour coach ride, huh? I think what I might do is to try to get a seat by myself and twitch a bit. That should dissuade most people from sitting next to me.
- For the 2CWS issues - I'll make it perfectly clear that I'm not - "I don't support you guys at all; I'm a BHA fan. I'm just here for the ride". That should work pretty well, I think.

Thanks for all the tips/comments! :wink:

See you on the other side. :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm leaving in half an hour. To answer some of the questions posed:

- I've decided not to waste the £15 coach fare, so will be taking that...
- I've now read 2 recent BBC articles and have gleaned the following: Cambridge beat Gateshead 1-0 at home, but lost 2-0 away which was just a few days ago. The manager is called something Money. They have two players (strikers?) returning from injury who may cause a selection problem. That should be enough for a two-two and a half hour coach ride, huh? I think what I might do is to try to get a seat by myself and twitch a bit. That should dissuade most people from sitting next to me.
- For the 2CWS issues - I'll make it perfectly clear that I'm not - "I don't support you guys at all; I'm a BHA fan. I'm just here for the ride". That should work pretty well, I think.

Thanks for all the tips/comments! :wink:

See you on the other side. :thumbsup:

:dunce:

I think you'll find you have to score more goals than the opposition to progress in the play offs.

:rolleyes:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
:dunce:

I think you'll find you have to score more goals than the opposition to progress in the play offs.

:rolleyes:

Ummm, it wasn't the playoff semis! Gateshead are who they are playing in the final - the scores I posted are from the league!

That reminds me, I'd better find out who Cambridge beat in the semis....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ummm, it wasn't the playoff semis! Gateshead are who they are playing in the final - the scores I posted are from the league!

That reminds me, I'd better find out who Cambridge beat in the semis....

Oh yeah...:ffsparr:

Halifax in the semis, the same scores as you said but the other way round.

Enjoy the day, give the Us a shout from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here