Attachments

• Falklands_War_The_Royal_Marines_Yomp_or_the_Paras_Tab.jpg
    Falklands_War_The_Royal_Marines_Yomp_or_the_Paras_Tab.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No problem with remembering those who lost their lives fighting in the World Wars when they were truly defending our country. Brave men.

As far as our military "adventures" more recently?? Cannot support Iraq or Afghanistan.

In fact if you joined the military for all the right reasons ... defend your country, etc ... then it would have been appropriate to resign before being sent to either of those war-zones. "Not what I joined up to do" would be an appropriate response.

All for opinions, but have a little respect on today of all days

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
No problem with remembering those who lost their lives fighting in the World Wars when they were truly defending our country. Brave men.

As far as our military "adventures" more recently?? Cannot support Iraq or Afghanistan.

In fact if you joined the military for all the right reasons ... defend your country, etc ... then it would have been appropriate to resign before being sent to either of those war-zones. "Not what I joined up to do" would be an appropriate response.

Your first point is a good one, the second displays a lack of knowledge of what today is about, understanding of the average British soldier, Sailor and Airman's attitude to the job they do and respect for many brave people.

In fact your post as well as being ignorant is also a little pathetic in a look at me i'm so controversial type way.

To Dave thanks and respect

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Goldstone - paying tribute to our brave men and women is not necessarily agreeing with or supporting the wars/fights they have been involved in. We have a lot of brave individuals who work tirelessly for our country. It is not as simple as withdrawing ones services if they do not agree with a particular conflict.

You are very forthright with your views about members serving in Afghanistan and Iraq, on here and the relative safety of NSC. I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night! - North Stand Chat

Would you be willing to have a chat with Lance Corporal Martyn Compton BBC News - Soldiers brave story of recovery and/or the hundreds of families that have lost a loved one?

You have a very simplistic view of things. 'Not what I joined up to do'. There is a slight difference in being asked to make coffee for a director (something you didn't sign up to do) and refusing to do so, compared with leaving your homeland and family to fight for something that perhaps you don't agree with or understand. They didn't go through life changing training to opt out every now and again.

... it would have been appropriate to resign before being sent to either of those war-zones. "Not what I joined up to do" would be an appropriate response.
Nah ... the minute you allow soldiers to make their own minds up about what they will or will not do, you've opened the floodgates. The next thing will be the Generals deciding that they have the right to overthrow the government on the basis that they "hadn't joined the army to let Nick Clegg become Deputy Prime Minister" (or some such similar load of nonsense).

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Only caught a few mins of last nights 'Festival of Remembrance' Had a serious lump in the throat when some of the 'Few' walked in,most are late 80,s/early 90,s but at the time of the Battle of Britian the average age was just 22. Just what can you say ?

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent

What a shame people think this way. Maybe thats the point, with out our brave lads ready to do whatever is asked of them, whenever, we may have a more restricted life.

There are two little girls (under 8 years old) on my post round that will never see there daddy again.

HIS BRAVERY WILL NEVER BE WASTED ON ME.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As an ex-serviceman I have to say how warming it has been to see so many younger members of the community out and about supporting the rememberence events, paying their respects and fund raising, thank you one and all

steve-c

me and the grandaughter , went to the service at canterbury cathedral, and the march past in the city, got absoutly soaked, but as the grandaughter said , we are only wet, grandad , but at least we remembered the soldiers, she is only 7,but she made me proud,as an ex squaddie it was also good to see so many young people at the service and taking part in the parade.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I have no time for Thatchers war to get re-elected or Blairs war in support of the American war of oil dependance,less time still for the conflict to put a Gas pipeline through Afghanistan to Pakistan.
BUT
The sacrifice of our,largely,working class youth,the dead,the broken bodies and minds of our own,and yes those of our ex enemies,Must be remembered.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
OK mate.

i will tell my Ausralian mates that, by your logic, ANZAC day is a load rubbish.

I think you will find there are quite strong links between Australia/New Zealand and Great Britain. Even though they were not defending their own countries they were fighting side-by-side with a country where the majority of their families came from.

I just don't think the same can be said about British military personnel fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Goldstone - paying tribute to our brave men and women is not necessarily agreeing with or supporting the wars/fights they have been involved in. We have a lot of brave individuals who work tirelessly for our country. It is not as simple as withdrawing ones services if they do not agree with a particular conflict.

You are very forthright with your views about members serving in Afghanistan and Iraq, on here and the relative safety of NSC. I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night! - North Stand Chat

Would you be willing to have a chat with Lance Corporal Martyn Compton BBC News - Soldiers brave story of recovery and/or the hundreds of families that have lost a loved one?

You have a very simplistic view of things. 'Not what I joined up to do'. There is a slight difference in being asked to make coffee for a director (something you didn't sign up to do) and refusing to do so, compared with leaving your homeland and family to fight for something that perhaps you don't agree with or understand. They didn't go through life changing training to opt out every now and again.

Actually, yes, I would love to have a chat with him. It would be interesting to try to understand why anyone would volunteer to join the military at the present time when they are likely to be ordered to risk life and limb in pointless military adventures in far of lands.

The men who were conscripted in the World Wars were incredibly brave, as were those who volunteered to fight to save their country from a very real enemy.

Maybe he would be able to explain his motivation to me. I am sure he doesn't consider himself a hero for doing a job which he chose to do.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
My girlfriend was a wreath bearer today.

Very proud of our lads. Quite a few of my friends want to join the RAF after college/millitary prep.

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
was thinking mt family didnt have much to do with miltary life.. then remembered my dad was in the real 'dads army', elder brother was in navy, sister in the wrens, her hubby also navy, and eldest nephew has just finished a tour..

me? i did a weekend T.A. selection course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here