Hypothetical question -If Gus went would you be happy with Redknapp

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be happy with Redknapp as manager?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd be very worried about having Redknapp in charge - not so much on match days but for all the wheeler dealing he does between. He'd be a very high risk option in a financial sense.

This, but what makes anyone think that HR would be the remotest bit interested in us, if Gus left?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd be happy, decent football bit of a character, good stuff. the detractors focus on the finances at two clubs, but the manager (any manager) isnt responsible for the finances. especially in the case of Pompey, there were dodginess from the chairman, let him follow a path to glory and it went sour. contrast to Spurs, strong ownership with their own mind and it worked out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If it were my choice no but if Tony picks him them I'll trust Tony.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Managers I would want other than Gus:

Martinez
Rodgers
Guardiola
Di Matteo

So, no.

Agree, all of those would be nice, but not sure any are realistic. I think Redknapp clearly is because of his south coast connections but not sure he and Bloom would see eye to eye. I think Bloom wants a younger manager. Who knows, if it doesn't work out for Dougie at Bolton, maybe he'd be a realistic shot.....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I can separate the manager coming in, from why the last one left (I was never happy with Adams mk2 because of the way Wilkins was replaced)

Why did gus leave? Did he go on to better things (in which case I'll be more welcoming of the new manager), did he leave because he felt too restricted by budget/resources (in which case I'd be concerned about a bigger issue than who the manager is) or was he dumped because the minority got loud in their criticisms (in which case, again, I would be concerned about Bloom's attitude - he showed a great deal of loyalty Slade in the circumstances and according to reports slade wasn't his choice, so for him to become so beholden to the whims of fickle fans)?

As for Harry as a manager in general, he would need a strong chairman to keep his spending under control, and if we can do that, I think I would support him (as long as Gus left under the right circumstances), though would be concerned about the bigger picture of youth development and club identity.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I still think Bloom has an eye on a Wise/Zola combo should Gus go in the near future which I sincerely hope he doesn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think I can separate the manager coming in, from why the last one left (I was never happy with Adams mk2 because of the way Wilkins was replaced)

Why did gus leave? Did he go on to better things (in which case I'll be more welcoming of the new manager), did he leave because he felt too restricted by budget/resources (in which case I'd be concerned about a bigger issue than who the manager is) or was he dumped because the minority got loud in their criticisms (in which case, again, I would be concerned about Bloom's attitude - he showed a great deal of loyalty Slade in the circumstances and according to reports slade wasn't his choice, so for him to become so beholden to the whims of fickle fans)?

As for Harry as a manager in general, he would need a strong chairman to keep his spending under control, and if we can do that, I think I would support him (as long as Gus left under the right circumstances), though would be concerned about the bigger picture of youth development and club identity.

For the purposes of this poll, he either flounced or left to manage Blackburn or someone else who could pay him more than us....he WAS NOT sacked

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't reckon Harry would do it just yet. I get the impression he still thinks he should be managing a team in Europe.

However, as much as I often despise him and his views as United manager, and I don't think it would happen in a million years, I would be fascinated to see Sir Alex Ferguson at the helm for one more managerial challenge.

A truly great manager leaves MUFC after leading them to the title once more, and then relocates to the South Coast in preparation for retirement, but yearning for the challenge of getting a team promoted (something I'm not sure he's ever done, but I'm sure someone will confirm/deny that).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Would prefer to keep Gus but if Gus ever left Harry would be an excellent apointment. Comments about his past record of spending money are not relevant. That wasn't his fault. He wasn't signing the cheques.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The only one that had a decent Chairman. Bloom would not let him bankrupt us.

Point is that any contract for Redknapp would be a multi million pound affair, way out of our price range. The guy is at retirement age and is almost certainly not looking for a 'project' job. He doesn't need the money. Dreams of Redknapp are about as much pie in the sky as Wenger, Fergusson or Guardiola.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus is the right man so I don't think he should go.

That said, would I be happy with Harry as a replacement - yes, provided Tony Bloom and Paul Barber exercise the same financial discipline as at present. Only 8 months ago Harry was the universal favourite for the England job, he took Spurs to 4th and it should have been 3rd. His sides plays attractive football, he's high profile. However, Harry has always made risky signings and any chairman would have to be prepared to spend big to get the big rewards.

I don't think Harry would have pussyfooted around in the summer without buying a main striker either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports