Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If they want to reinvent his image then they will. I reckon the masses will buy into it.
The narrative already is the sun said it was illegal. It wasn’t. Bad Sun. Poor Huw.
Those that say “even if what was alleged wasn’t illegal, it was still more than bad” are being pushed out of the picture.
The Mirror this morning has the headline 'We Want Huw Back On TV', but then they would wouldn't they. Anything to have a go at the sun.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If they want to reinvent his image then they will. I reckon the masses will buy into it.
The narrative already is the sun said it was illegal. It wasn’t. Bad Sun. Poor Huw.
Those that say “even if what was alleged wasn’t illegal, it was still more than bad” are being pushed out of the picture.
If what is alleged is true, he should (and probably will) retire. His mental health issues mean that he would be more than foolish to imagine he can pop up, presenting the news, or the Eurovision song contest, or MOTD, and not get mocked. Even Angus Deayton couldn't stand the heat, and he'd not done anything as cringeworthy as the newsreader allegedly has done.

And, frankly, I don't think that those who are determined that he should be banished to outer darkness have anything to worry about.

And, final word on mental health, the minority who have come on here to sneer at and mock the very ideal of mental health issues may, one day, experience problems of their own. They may find that having some beers and manning up may not work for them. At that point, they may think back on this: oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was 10-37 a.m. I might have been.
That made me laugh.

I appreciate that several posters may have looked askance at my replies yesterday. Of course having mental health issues is no excuse for being an arse, or betraying your family or whatever this bloke may have done.

But whatever the man may have done is no excuse for mocking mental health issues. That was very much the impression I got from some posts yesterday. And from the various replies I was very much not alone. I was probably ruder, however. Who could possibly have guessed? ??? :wink:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Be a boring old world if everybody had sympathy for HE or conversely everyone thought it was a ruse to lie low for a while.
Life is about opinions. I don't think anyone on here is mocking or sneering at mental health issues. It's commonplace and the vast majority of people have sympathy.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If what is alleged is true, he should (and probably will) retire. His mental health issues mean that he would be more than foolish to imagine he can pop up, presenting the news, or the Eurovision song contest, or MOTD, and not get mocked. Even Angus Deayton couldn't stand the heat, and he'd not done anything as cringeworthy as the newsreader allegedly has done.

And, frankly, I don't think that those who are determined that he should be banished to outer darkness have anything to worry about.

And, final word on mental health, the minority who have come on here to sneer at and mock the very ideal of mental health issues may, one day, experience problems of their own. They may find that having some beers and manning up may not work for them. At that point, they may think back on this: oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Sure, a few idiots who write off mental health and have voodoo dolls of Huw may have cause for self reflection at some point.
What about the moderates though Harry ?
Those that feel that just because the allegations (if stood up) are not illegal, it doesn’t make them ok.
And those that feel that his current mental health problems may have been brought on by his own deceptiveness catching up with him. (ie not the same as a parent breaking down because they lose their job and can’t feed their family).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sure, a few idiots who write off mental health and have voodoo dolls of Huw may have cause for self reflection at some point.
Those that feel that just because the allegations (if stood up) are not illegal, it doesn’t make them ok.
And those that feel that his current mental health problems may have been brought on by his own deceptiveness catching up with him. (ie not the same as a parent breaking down because they lose their job and can’t feed their family).
And on another thread we have a man that’s treated women pretty poorly, but found not guilty of an accused crime is getting sympathy and the ‘poor bloke what about his career’ funny old world

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That made me laugh.

I appreciate that several posters may have looked askance at my replies yesterday. Of course having mental health issues is no excuse for being an arse, or betraying your family or whatever this bloke may have done.

But whatever the man may have done is no excuse for mocking mental health issues. That was very much the impression I got from some posts yesterday. And from the various replies I was very much not alone. I was probably ruder, however. Who could possibly have guessed? ??? :wink:
How dare you be ruder than me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What victims?

So far we have no crime, a young man who got his solicitor to refute the Sun’s claims and a couple of people with iffy text messages.

And do be careful. Libel will get you a ban.
But probably no longer than his various racism bans :shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

This is where I am with it. I've no love for the Sun or how they've gone about this. That said, some good has come out of it as one has disappeared from Talk TV and another from GB News who do sound much more odious than Edwards if the rumours are to be believed from the backlash. The Sun itself hasn't come out if well either and this might be their NOTW moment. Should also add that from the little I've read the parents in question are from the gutter

There is a but though. There was an article in the Times this week - sadly behind a paywall - whereby their journo had lunch with Huw on Thursday prior to it all coming out. Everything was normal and charming. Now, I know he could be hiding something or other well but I suspect, like you, that whilst of course he has mental health issues these have been bought on by being found out not anything else. Whether what he did is legal or not, is splitting hairs when we are talking about age differentials, It's really not a good look. Put it this way, if that was my local MP, I'm not voting for him at the next election whatever party he represents.

Lastly, Europe is on fire this week and temperatures are through the roof. Civilisation is potentially on a knife edge and we are having a binfest about a bloke that reads an autocue. We don't have serious government or arbiters of what constitutes news anymore. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is where I am with it. I've no love for the Sun or how they've gone about this. That said, some good has come out of it as one has disappeared from Talk TV and another from GB News who do sound much more odious than Edwards if the rumours are to be believed from the backlash. The Sun itself hasn't come out if well either and this might be their NOTW moment. Should also add that from the little I've read the parents in question are from the gutter

There is a but though. There was an article in the Times this week - sadly behind a paywall - whereby their journo had lunch with Huw on Thursday prior to it all coming out. Everything was normal and charming. Now, I know he could be hiding something or other well but I suspect, like you, that whilst of course he has mental health issues these have been bought on by being found out not anything else. Whether what he did is legal or not, is splitting hairs when we are talking about age differentials, It's really not a good look. Put it this way, if that was my local MP, I'm not voting for him at the next election whatever party he represents.

Lastly, Europe is on fire this week and temperatures are through the roof. Civilisation is potentially on a knife edge and we are having a binfest about a bloke that reads an autocue. We don't have serious government or arbiters of what constitutes news anymore. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.
This last paragraph in spades!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I have made the same point elsewhere. See posts 424 and 425 above.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Jonathan Pie has his say :bowdown:

Behaving with integrity seems to be worth so little these days.
If anything being honest and transparent is viewed as a weakness.
Society might live to regret that.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
See posts 424 and 425. I may have given the false impression that the newsreader should be given a knighthood. That wasn't my intention. What had my goat was posts giving the impression of belittling/mocking mental health issues in general.

Regarding your last point, he has documented mental health issues for at least 20 years, so unless he has led a lifetime of deceptiveness (which is not impossible, certainly) then perhaps he has simply just had a sudden recent Kilroy moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports