Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull City Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I agree, but at the same time, it was made quite clear earlier this week that we were fielding a weakened team, giving the impression that the club doesn't care about the cup. So, as a player, you're being given the message that you're not seen as being viewed as an option for the first team, and the club don't really care whether you win or lose. Why bust a gut? You're so far down the pecking order, even if you put in a good performance, it will be in a match the club don't care about, which reduces how much a great performance will mean.

Maenpaa sounded like he did well, Warren mentioned three good saves, and a great one after Goldson's error, only beaten by a penalty. Maenpaa will still be sat on the bench back in his role as second choice. What chance does Holla have of getting into the first team even with a great performance?

I know 'professionalism', try to change the manager's mind, and so on. Realistically, it just isn't worth it for most of the players in today's team.

If I was a fringe player, or indeed in any life situation, if I thought I deserved the chance and that chance came my way then it would be down to me to make damn sure I took that chance. If Holla & co had put in that match winning performance then they could go to their manager and say "Look what I can do, I deserve another chance", could they seriously do that now?

With keepers it's a bit different because only one can play, but it's good to know that the back-up can perform.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I know 'professionalism', try to change the manager's mind, and so on. Realistically, it just isn't worth it for most of the players in today's team.
But they get paid very well to be professional, to be the best they can be. If they don't want to play well for BHA we need to ship them out and get in players who will bleed blue and white and put in a good shift.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just back from game, disappointed with the attitude of many of the players, just didn't look interested. The keeper looks good and thought Goldson had another solid game.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Just back from game, disappointed with the attitude of many of the players, just didn't look interested. The keeper looks good and thought Goldson had another solid game.
Agreed, thought Ridgewell was OK as well. We could have grabbed a draw at the end but it would have been undeserved

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I was a fringe player, or indeed in any life situation, if I thought I deserved the chance and that chance came my way then it would be down to me to make damn sure I took that chance. If Holla & co had put in that match winning performance then they could go to their manager and say "Look what I can do, I deserve another chance", could they seriously do that now?

And Hughton would have said 'You think a good performance against another clubs B team means much? you think kayal and Stephens wouldn't have played just as well? You've earned a chance in the next round, but that's it'

It's not really 'a chance' when you know you're only playing because the manager wants to give the others a rest, and that no matter how well you do, the manager just doesn't see you as a first team option for the league unless everyone else is injured.

With keepers it's a bit different because only one can play, but it's good to know that the back-up can perform.

It's not really that different. There's only one left back spot. Only one right back. Only one right winger. Only two centre midfields spots that are already filled by Kayal and Stephens and they rarely get substituted, so even if he manages to leap frog Crofts, Ince, and Towell (he's fortunate JFC is out on loan for the season or else he'd have to leap frog him as well) he's still do nothing more than bench warm, and the occasional time wasting last minute substitute.

But they get paid very well to be professional, to be the best they can be. If they don't want to play well for BHA we need to ship them out and get in players who will bleed blue and white and put in a good shift.

When you're career progression has been halted, and you are out in the cold, it can be very hard to get motivated. They're not Albion fans, they are employees, and when their pay is the same whether they play well or not, and every other potential motivation has been stubbed out of them by circumstances, it's hard to use how much you get paid as motivation.

I doubt there are any players that are good enough to improve our squad that bleed blue and white. I don't want to be rude, but such sentiments (only wanting players that bleed blue and white) are at best naive.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Then, my much respected NSC friend, we will have to disagree. If a player feels his whole livelyhood is at risk because he doesn't 'fit' then all the more reason, especially in the transfer window, to perform.

As for outfield players being the same as goalkeepers, no again. The outfield 10 can change due to formations, tactics & opposition and players who may vye for similar positions may have vastly different attributes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here