Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull City remove disabled price concessions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You keep digging ....

If your disabled you want parity with everyone else, access, mobility and opportunity and so on, then live your life just as anyone else, failing, succeeding etc.

Not patronised by the able bodied who feel so sorry for them that require money and pity for no other reason than their physical state.

Yes I would give up my seat for the elderly to make their journey more comfortable but I wouldn't pat them on the head saying 'there, there' as I did it.

And I also totally understand your argument. But, I believe in inclusivity and the need for concessions to sometimes enable this. It's all very bleeding heart liberal I know.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
Yes, but there are so many sections in the community where you could also say something similar:

The spending capacity of people with children is generally significantly lower than most, due to the additional cost of feeding/clothing a family, childcare and all other expenses.

The spending capacity of people with a mortage or high rent is significantly lower than most who might own their homes outright (such as some retired people).

The average income of non-graduates is on average lower than graduates.

The average income of women is lower than men - I think partly due to the number of women in part time jobs.

Etc...etc.

Bottom line is - and I do have disabled relatives - IMHO they should pay the same as everyone else does.

I do agree with you that as a disabled person I am happy to pay the full amount as I dont expect to get a discount because of my disability. The only thing I disagree on is the comparison you make to other sections of the community. People choose to have children, choose to have a mortgage, choose to go to university & whilst I recognise its neccessary for people to do this, my earning capacity has deminished not through a choice I made to have ms, but because it just happend.

Anyway, maybe we should get a small discount. We do supply our own seats. lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there an OAP concession at the AMEX?

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
For those in earlier posts, who mentioned disabled people should get concessions as they probably have lower earnings.

If that were the case, the same should go for people with mental disabilities and any other type of illness that prevent them from working.

As with most people, I think disabled people should pay full price. Unless the view is restricted or not very good. As has already been mentioned.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And I also totally understand your argument. But, I believe in inclusivity and the need for concessions to sometimes enable this. It's all very bleeding heart liberal I know.

I apologise for my sarcasm.

I acknowledge your level of compassion here, but just do not think it warrants a financial concession in this context.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I apologise for my sarcasm.

I acknowledge your level of compassion here, but just do not think it warrants a financial concession in this context.

No problem and your apology is accepted. And let's accept we have different ideology :smile:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I know two physically disabled people very well. Their attitude is that they need better access to trains, buses, stadiums, shops, parking etc, but they don't need it to be cheaper.

They want to be able to go to the local railway station and get on any train to anywhere without having to book ahead and hope someone is there to help.
They don't need the fares to be cheaper.

One car park I know has five disabled bays. Two are free, three are pay as normal. I suspect this is as a result of a compromise on the local council over policy to charge for disabled parking.

I know two physically disabled people very well. Their attitude is that they need better access to trains, buses, stadiums, shops, parking etc, but they don't need it to be cheaper.

They want to be able to go to the local railway station and get on any train to anywhere without having to book ahead and hope someone is there to help.
They don't need the fares to be cheaper.
Off-peak rail fares for disabled people are cheaper - one-third off - if the passenger is prepared to buy the railcard. But that's a commercial discount, offered by the train companies, not a state-funded benefit.

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
I think reductions given by companies such as trains are more the fact they recognise that they cannot offer disabled people the choice to sit where they want. I dont think anybody will feel this is unfair.

The market research that the Train Operators have done over the years proves to their satisfaction that ALL of the railcard offers that they operate - for 16-25 year olds, families & friends, seniors, disabled people, and the south-east network card - bring commercial benefits to the railway, either by encouraging more travel, or by encouraging people to travel at quieter times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What is the feeling towards OAP discounts then? Can they be seen as analogous to disabled reductions?

What is the feeling towards OAP discounts then? Can they be seen as analogous to disabled reductions?
The Club doesn't actually offer discounts to people of pensionable age. They offer discounts to people aged 65 or over. This isn't quite the same thing.

In fact, they don't have a choice, following a European Court ruling a few years ago that banned commercial organisations from discriminating against men, by requiring them to wait five years longer than women before qualifying for age-related discounts. The UK government was permitted to continue its discriminatory pension scheme, only on condition that the sex discrimination was phased out. And that is what is happening, as pension ages are gradually being equalised for men and women.

There were a couple of seasons when the Club offered age discounts to people who had reached 60 - but this came to an end and the qualifying age was raised to 65. I believe that they allowed season ticket holders who had enjoyed the discount at 60 to renew at the reduced price rate, even though they weren't yet 65.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Outdated and likely to offer a financial concession to those that might need it least.

This, with bells on.

Check out the shoppers in M&S Holmbush - 90% elderly spending a fortune on overpriced clothing, food, homeware & countless frivolous other things, having parked their large cars outside...don't tell me they have no choice/can't go anywhere else seeing as Tesco is next door!

...but that's for a new thread, as this thread is about disabled concessions.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here