Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull City and Norwich are tracking Brighton striker Ashley Barnes.its on twitter

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I can see why Hull and Norwich would be interested. He is young , English and shown himself to be capable.
Would not need a large fee, probably 1 or 1.2 mil. He may be able step up again, and if he doesn't then in all honesty both clubs have a chance of being back in the championship within a season or two. (possibly harsh on Norwich).

Think it would be a case of not knowing what we have until its gone. He is not a star player and definatly not "skillful" despite what sky sports say. But he is not an expensive player, probably not on huge wages. Only cost 250k.

Probably irreplaceable in his own way.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Its not just about Barnes's ability to finish, which I actually think could be improved, but also all the other defensive work he does.

I just wonder whether some of he anti-Barnes feeling stems from Withdean when Murray was being left out and Barnes and Wood was up front. They scored a similar number of goals that season in any case.

The facts for me are clear. Barnes is relatively young, he's proved his adaptability for the team from a positional perspective, in the absence of Ulloa he is our only decent striking option, defensively he is an asset, he'll continue to improve, he'll continue to score and miss some chances and hopefully he'll continue to play for us.

Anti Barnes feeling easy for me .. his self discipline. I can't criticise his performances, eye for a goal, knack of being in the right place, workrate and defensive contribution. On top of that I think he's going to improve and be a top class player.

But his petulance, sulking and the way he's always in the Ref's ear not only pi$$es me off but it's cost us big with sendings off and the absurdity at Bolton. I hope he's learnt from that, 23 is old enough to grasp some of the basics of what can and cannot be done.

Sort that out and I'll be his biggest fan ... and definitely want him to stay. He'll be a bargain today and multiples of in 2 years time!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anti Barnes feeling easy for me .. his self discipline. I can't criticise his performances, eye for a goal, knack of being in the right place, workrate and defensive contribution. On top of that I think he's going to improve and be a top class player.

But his petulance, sulking and the way he's always in the Ref's ear not only pi$$es me off but it's cost us big with sendings off and the absurdity at Bolton. I hope he's learnt from that, 23 is old enough to grasp some of the basics of what can and cannot be done.

Sort that out and I'll be his biggest fan ... and definitely want him to stay. He'll be a bargain today and multiples of in 2 years time!

I think he's just passionate about what he does, however, the Bolton incident (which he denied), was ridiculous and did show a lack of maturity. Hopefully, he's learned from it as you say.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he's just passionate about what he does, however, the Bolton incident (which he denied), was ridiculous and did show a lack of maturity. Hopefully, he's learned from it as you say.

His total lack of confrontation with the ref, in the games I saw, after his tripping ban would suggest he HAS learnt a lesson. I thought he was absolute quality for the last few games he played.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We would be FOOLISH to sell at a knock-down price. He will be an important part of the team this season under Oscar and he might get played to his strengths, if he does then we will reap the rewards.

If Palace spent £6 Million on an average striker who doesnt have a brilliant strike rate in the Championship, then we should seriously be looking at at least £5 Million for Ashley !!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
His total lack of confrontation with the ref, in the games I saw, after his tripping ban would suggest he HAS learnt a lesson. I thought he was absolute quality for the last few games he played.

Yes it did seem that way, the 7 game ban was like a massive wake-up call.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
We would be FOOLISH to sell at a knock-down price. He will be an important part of the team this season under Oscar and he might get played to his strengths, if he does then we will reap the rewards.

If Palace spent £6 Million on an average striker who doesnt have a brilliant strike rate in the Championship, then we should seriously be looking at at least £5 Million for Ashley !!

Keep looking. You'll take a loss on CMS I suspect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Nigels paid less for their entire promotion-winning squad than Albion did for THEIR under-achieving Peterborough player...:wink:

No arguing with that, you got much the better deal in the CMS/Murray scenario. Be interesting to see how much you struggle with Murray out and Zaha gone.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No arguing with that, you got much the better deal in the CMS/Murray scenario. Be interesting to see how much you struggle with Murray out and Zaha gone.

Yup, THIS Posh player had better be good. Not sure yet we've even got Sper-Kev on board for the new season now. Still it's Spurs on the box the first Sunday...:drink:

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
We should not be thinking of selling core players if we have any hope of reaching the Prem.
Love him or hate him, Ashley always puts in a full performance and will continue to improve.
Will be interesting to see how he fits into OG's line up.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So we have a young striker, proven at championship level, who even his harshest critics agree has improved enormously year on year.

Yes, that's the sort of player we should sell :facepalm:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
If he can sort his petulance out I'd keep him, love his commitment but he needs to grow up fast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here