Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
the Deloitte Football Money League compiles this list based on revenue only.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League#2019

Brighton were 29th in 2017/18. Not sure one years income is the only factor to determine "richness" given our outgoings, wages, amortisation, debts but its one way of looking it and illustrates the staggering TV income of the EFL.

Not sure you can use only income to determine the wealth of a club.

Half a dozen Chinese Clubs are loaded and there are 3 Azerbaijani clubs alone which have Oil Rich owners who have bought clubs over there.

Galatasary nor Fenerbache arent on that list. There are Middle eastern Clubs owned by the State in Qatar and Saudi - Deloittes produce these lists but their research in producing them is very limited.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
I like Chris Hughton as a man and I rate him as both a manager and a coach. I also feel a debt of loyalty to him because of what he has achieved for us since his arrival. That said, the last match I enjoyed was that Ben Foster masterclass in February. The home performances since have been dire and the away ones risk-averse and devoid of ambition. Our budget for both transfers and wages will make it hard for us to become a top-half team and I totally accept that. As a consequence, I also accept and expect that this will not be the last nail-biting end-of-season in the Premier League. In short, I am a loyal supporter with no illusions about what my allegiance to the Albion is likely to bring.

However…

When Dan Gosling put Bournemouth ahead at the Amex in March they had six players in our penalty area. Six! It was in the middle of the first half in a match where they were the away team and a draw would have been a perfectly acceptable result. When Pazza equalised against Newcastle on Saturday we were behind at home in the second half of a “must-win” game and the only other player in the box was Glenn, with Solly hovering on the edge.

In my opinion, the key questions for Chris Hughton are not those of recruitment, budgets, player quality, squad depth, style or selection. They are those of bravery, ambition and flexibility. Right now, both in his interviews and his tactics, Chris seems scared of his own shadow and the team are reflecting that fear. Don’t agree? Consider this. The same players that scored three against Man United in the first half of the first home game of these season are now petrified of the sight of Paul Dummett with the ball at his feet!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watford has Deeney scoring 13 and Ighalo scoring 15 in their first season - they finished 13th. The following season they finished 17th - losing their last six games. Deeney scored 10 and Inghalo scored 1 (he was injured). In 2017-2018 they had four players who scored a combined 23 goals - they were 4th after 8 games but steadily declined after that. This season two strikers have scored 11 each and several others who chipped in between 4-7 goals. Since they were promoted they have spent over £170million on transfers.

Newcastle scored very few goals their first season up - and 'ground' out some 1-0 wins and a lot of draws.This season they have two strikers scoring more than 10 goals. The big difference this season is Newcastle have got results from the teams in the bottom half of the PL. Having Rondon has made a difference.

Bournemouth struggled bigtime their first season up and ended 16th - a three game win streak in March saved them. Wilson only played 13 games that season. The following season the were comfortable because King scored 16 goals and two other strikers got 6 each - Wilson also spent some of that season injured. In 2017-2018 the strikers got 25 goals between them and Fraser kicked in another 7 from midfield. And this season Wilson and King have kicked in 26 goals. Bournemouth spent £77million this season - and £160million since they were promoted.

Now you can point the finger and say that Brighton should be doing what these three clubs are doing - but all of them have what Brighton doesn't have - goalscorers - and two of them. And Watford and Bournemouth have spent a significant amount of money consolidating their position in the PL - and even then they have periods when they are under pressure.

Hughton's teams have traditionally played attacking football - but when you are in trouble you have to grind out the results. You can't bake a cake without the right ingredients - and some ingredients are still missing.

I've forgotten which team you support, but I applaud your common sense post. Hopefully those ingredients can be bought this summer.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Not sure you can use only income to determine the wealth of a club.

Half a dozen Chinese Clubs are loaded and there are 3 Azerbaijani clubs alone which have Oil Rich owners who have bought clubs over there.

. There are Middle eastern Clubs owned by the State in Qatar and Saudi - Deloittes produce these lists but their research in producing them is very limited.

They are one of the leading accountancy firms on earth, with annual revenue in excess of $40billion, I don't think they would publish anything without thouroghly researching it, that is what they do.

But for arguments sake, I'll rephrase my statement. We are one of the world's top 30 highest earning clubs, but we don't play like one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Take a look at all the managerial changes in the PL since Hughton took over at Brighton - and check how many have had any success - very, very few of them.

Can we tempt your manager? Maybe a swap?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Brighton might be in the top 30 - but they are pretty much at the bottom of the pile for PL clubs. Stick this team into the Belgian PL and they win it with little difficulty - not in England.

Benfica are below us on that list, stick them in the Premier League and they wouldn't start playing like us.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Can we tempt your manager? Maybe a swap?

I would swap Mick McCarthy for Chris Hughton in a heart-beat.

Benfica are below us on that list, stick them in the Premier League and they wouldn't start playing like us.
Stick them in the PL and they would be fighting against relegation instead of fighting for the title.

Over the past 3 season Benfica have a surplus of something like €280million from selling players - they couldn't survive doing that in the PL. What people should be looking at is how Benfica are able to produce a conveyor belt of players they then sell on for €30-€40million each.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They are one of the leading accountancy firms on earth, with annual revenue in excess of $40billion, I don't think they would publish anything without thouroghly researching it, that is what they do.

But for arguments sake, I'll rephrase my statement. We are one of the world's top 30 highest earning clubs, but we don't play like one.

Hmm. My daughter did her Chartered Accountancy with Deloitte.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

Stick them in the PL and they would be fighting against relegation instead of fighting for the title.

Over the past 3 season Benfica have a surplus of something like €280million from selling players - they couldn't survive doing that in the PL. What people should be looking at is how Benfica are able to produce a conveyor belt of players they then sell on for €30-€40million each.

I think we have stricter employment laws, stopping us from raiding South American talent.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Totally different society in Portugal - You still get loads kids playing football in the streets and parks in Portugal, whereas here in the UK, people are frightened to let kids out of their sights for two minutes so they end up playing indoors on computer games all day.

You would like Mick Mc Carthy as a replacement manager - Good luck with that one. I am sure he would be interested though...…...Give him a ring

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Totally different society in Portugal - You still get loads kids playing football in the streets and parks in Portugal, whereas here in the UK, people are frightened to let kids out of their sights for two minutes so they end up playing indoors on computer games all day.

You would like Mick Mc Carthy as a replacement manager - Good luck with that one. I am sure he would be interested though...…...Give him a ring

That doesn’t explain the many talented players at London clubs. Half of them are likely to be more scary out and about on the streets than the prowlers on the same street :wink:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

The same reason Porto are also as good if not better, because of Portuguese ties with South America. Impossible for any club in England to do the same. We pay full price for the finished article for any players outside Europe.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That doesn’t explain the many talented players at London clubs. Half of them are likely to be more scary out and about on the streets than the prowlers on the same street :wink:

Many London Clubs invite every 7 year old plus kids from all London schools to Trial for them at ''Open Days''

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ah OK - Must be better players in London

Nah, only joking - Probably just due to larger population that there are more naturally gifted youngsters arise

I know you’re a comparative newbie to Brighton so wonder if you knew that Sussex hasn’t provided a decent striker in living memory as far as I’m aware. Solly may be the first if he continues to improve, if we can be generous in calling a goal scoring winger a striker.

Could be wrong though, maybe it’s Albion that have never taken one on who became great, but I am struggling to remember one at all from Sussex regardless

Bloody Southern Softies

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here