Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, knee jerk reaction by typical Albion (home, Amex, 3 year STH) fans after a couple of defeats is to sack the manager because they want to see more entertaining football, more wins and more goals. How this will be achieved they haven’t a clue.

I’d say you haven’t got a clue why some want him out personally. The two lacklustre and frankly pathetic defeats against Bournemouth and Cardiff were the tipping point for many.

The Wolves and Spurs performances brought some back behind CH but the first half against Newcastle was also a big worry.

I’m sure if CH can see us over the line, plenty of us will be quite happy as long as there is a sorting of what is clearly a problem, be it players or manager over the summer

I’d say not being concerned about the way our season has imploded is a bit head in the sand

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I usually travel in a party of four to games and we all want a change. We also meet up with another group of seven at the ground. They all want a change as well. I have spoken to another five that sit near me at games and they also feel its time to change as well. Small numbers, I know, but thats 100% amongst 15 people of my acquaintance ( and we usually disagree on lots of other BHA issues )

I want a change when the season ends (or just before: see the following). Like your group, in my circle that I've asked, most are of that view, including those that have been defending CH for a long while (like me) and have only recently come to this view. Hopefully, Cardiff will lose on Saturday (or we'll win on Sunday), thereby securing our PL status. Bloom and CH can then have a conversation, and agree that all good things have to come to an end, and we can have a great big party while depriving City of the title, and show our sincere appreciation for all that Chris has done for the club, and what a (largely) enjoyable ride it's been.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Yes, knee jerk reaction by typical Albion (home, Amex, 3 year STH) fans after a couple of defeats is to sack the manager because they want to see more entertaining football, more wins and more goals. How this will be achieved they haven’t a clue.

A couple if defeats?
We went 11 hours without scoring!

Here are 5 things that would make an instant impact.

1. Play players in their best positions.

2. When Murray isn't on the pitch, don't hoof balls up to Andone at head height and expect him to do what Murray does.

3. Encourage the team to move the ball quicker, before the opposition have chance to regain their defensive shape.

4. Drop Montoya. Permanently.

5. Let Dunk bring the ball out from defence more and ask one of the 2 holding midfielders to cover when he does.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know you’re a comparative newbie to Brighton so wonder if you knew that Sussex hasn’t provided a decent striker in living memory as far as I’m aware. Solly may be the first if he continues to improve, if we can be generous in calling a goal scoring winger a striker.

In 8 years Solly has played 145 games and scored a grand total of 9 goals. I admire your optimism but............

Maybe if we started playing him as a winger rather than a 2nd full back it would improve :smile:

He has really come on this year imo. I was guilty of considering him an infuriating lightweight until a few months ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This reminds me of teenagers at school. Mum, I want it because everyone else has it. All my friends say so.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This reminds me of teenagers at school. Mum, I want it because everyone else has it. All my friends say so.

Not in the slightest.
All my acquaintances are pretty well rounded adults, not prone to rash statements or decision making. They don't all go to as many away games as me and have to put up with uninspiring , turgid, limp displays, week after week but they can recognise when the dynamic is wrong within a squad of players and the management team.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Does anyone actually think this will happen ?

Even though I want it to happen, I don't believe it will.
With the same manager, same philosophy and virtually the same squad of players next season, I am fearful, to say the least. The hardest thing for me to try and imagine is a fundamental change in tactics and playing style. We may be luckier with injuries to key players and some of our recent new players may show some improvement in adapting to the PL but we will still lack pace throughout the squad and we will lack creativity and goals. Three or four signings are needed to try and correct this and with nearly all the squad still within contract, that ain't gonna happen.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Maybe if we started playing him as a winger rather than a 2nd full back it would improve :smile:

He has really come on this year imo. I was guilty of considering him an infuriating lightweight until a few months ago.

I do agree with that.
He made a big difference on Saturday ( not difficult, I admit ) and it drives me mad to see him so deep a lot of the time. We look a totally different team when our wide men are playing in the opposition last third. Trouble with that is, we have to get upfield more and ' operation backs to the wall ' is still likely to be rearing its ugly head pretty regularly next season.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’m sure CH would love to sign better players. Do we have the cash?

Maybe the questions should be aimed at TB rather than CH.

If we stay up I presume that means CH has achieved what TB asked him to do. Is this therefore a reason to sack him?

People are watching too much Man City, Liverpool, etc and are forgetting what it was like watching Rochdale, Northampton and Barnet.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I know you’re a comparative newbie to Brighton so wonder if you knew that Sussex hasn’t provided a decent striker in living memory as far as I’m aware. Solly may be the first if he continues to improve, if we can be generous in calling a goal scoring winger a striker.

Could be wrong though, maybe it’s Albion that have never taken one on who became great, but I am struggling to remember one at all from Sussex regardless

Bloody Southern Softies

Marcus Tudgay Probably the best in recent memory. Which is really saying something.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If we stay up I presume that means CH has achieved what TB asked him to do. Is this therefore a reason to sack him?

People are watching too much Man City, Liverpool, etc and are forgetting what it was like watching Rochdale, Northampton and Barnet.

I remember those times clearly but if being in the Premier League is going to mean watching the style of football we have been playing recently, season after season, then I will be getting dewy eyed about the bad old days.

I was delighted when we changed it around and looked more attacking earlier in the season. No we didn’t get many points so it seems that under CH we can now only play one way. I just do not accept that is the only way to play and that there is nobody in Europe that we could entice who wouldn’t do better.

It’s not my money so I get why TB wants us to stay here by whatever means, but it is no fun at all for most if us watching

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's an interesting question. It will happen at some point, I hope you'll agree. As to when it does, we'll have to wait and see. Which bits of this would you like to challenge?

Well all managers get sacked "at some point" but this summer, assuming we stay up (*prays*) - then i'd be amazed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well all managers get sacked "at some point" but this summer, assuming we stay up (*prays*) - then i'd be amazed.

They don't. Some resign.
As to what happens with us, you might just be privy to more substantial information than I am. Ultimately, however, supporters do have an influence on such decisions.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Sorry but IMO that's way too black and white a view. I was at Hereford, blimey I was at Sudbury, Walton and Hersham and even Oxford City so I know what crap looks like. But mine and a lot of other peoples fear is that if we maintain the status quo on management, tactics and squad strength then we are going to get unlucky sooner or later and I suspect sooner. Something or preferably several things need to change and one that should be considered is the management.

It's not a spoilt child argument at all, its borne of a genuine concern of the direction of the club. People are entitled to have a different view, this isn't the Brexit thread :D: and its quite possible that retaining Hughton is the best course of action, but to suggest he shouldn't come under scrutiny after the last few months performances is ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here