Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
But Southampton did change and improved greatly.

What many of us are arguing, isn't change to avoid relegation, it's change to improve the crap football. So what if we go down? That's inevitable at some point for a club of our size. And if we do, well the entertainment is better in the Championship. It's nothing to fear.

What's the point of the club spending more in the Premier league if the quality drops?

...and for every success story, like Southampton's, there's a story of dismal failure.... Maybe the messiah is not waiting for our call at the moment......

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
How does that compare with other new PL clubs at the time? And how did the wages compare?

I don't, know but in 2011 they had the lowest wage bill came 11th and played lovely football.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don’t think things are ‘wrong’ behind the scenes. Two of our best players from last season, Groß & Izquierdo, have been injured for large parts of the present season and we’ve lacked creativity & pace as a result.

Recruitment has been hit and miss, but you don’t get very much for £5-15 million these days in the Premier League as Andone, Bissouma, Montaya, Locadia & Jahanbaksh suggest.

Some other players have shown dips in form and others have not broken through. The only success this season, and it’s a qualified one, is Bernardo.

We don’t know what is happening at training, in drills, in team and board meetings so filling the vacuum by wanting a decent man to lose his job seems an oversimplification. The squad we have, recruited from the likes of Blackburn, Charlton, Lewes, Celtic and Valencia reserves is never going to produce performances and results that many want.

As for the crowd turning on Hughton for not being up to the job if things turn bad last season, they did the same
to Ashley Barnes when he was at the Amex too and were happy to see him leave for £450,000.

As long as we are in this division the football will be mundane a lot of the time. The aim is survival and slow improvement. We cannot get to the ‘next level’ until we’ve established ourselves at the current level first, which realistically will take 4-5 seasons in this division.

The sides relegated in 2018/19 will be Huddersfield (2 seasons since promotion) Fulham (1 season) and one of the Albion (2 seasons) or Cardiff (1 season). We lack experience and quality at this level and it takes time to achieve that, regardless of the manager.

I agree with this post. It's painful to watch the football at times but we need to ensure we evolve in the Premier League. I don't fancy our chances of being a 'yo-yo' club.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
The club will return to losing £20 million a year, are you prepared to underwrite those losses?

As for changing managers it’s a gamble, not a guarantee.

No, but nor do I get a share of the profits as a price of being subjected to an inferior product.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't, know but in 2011 they had the lowest wage bill came 11th and played lovely football.
Impressive. I do remember their style of course, I just didn't know their wages.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm on the fence but something needs to change. Whether it's recruitment, tactics or player motivation things haven't been particularly good all season and in the last month or two have become absolutely dire.

We all know that sooner or later we will be relegated. What we've had a glimpse of the last few months is a taster of what that relegation will look like under Hughton. It's not a pretty sight, relegation never is but this has been ultra ugly. Do we want to spend season after season grimly hanging on for dear life or do we want to have a bit of a go, play some football and entertain a little before the inevitable happens?

So that's what I would like to change from next season(provided we stay up), the ultra negative tactics. Whether Hughton can deliver that is up to him and the club to decide. If he can't I'd like for him to leave with his held high, leaving the club in a far better and healthier state than when he joined. It's the least he deserves. I'd hate to see him leave under a cloud of abuse, negativity and 'failure'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But Southampton did change and improved greatly.

What many of us are arguing, isn't change to avoid relegation, it's change to improve the crap football. So what if we go down? That's inevitable at some point for a club of our size. And if we do, well the entertainment is better in the Championship. It's nothing to fear.

What's the point of the club spending more in the Premier league if the quality drops?

Stains far more expensive and highly paid squad simply includes some far better players for their positions (with pace), such as Redmond, Ward-Prowse and Armstrong. They’re comfortably a mid table squad.

Their improved results is in essence an indictment of Mark Hughes’s shit management

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
What share of profits has Tony Bloom taken from the Albion?

None, and I appreciate all he has done immensely. I know it's easy for me to winge, it's not my money after all. But I'm a football fan, winging is what we do.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
:lolol:You seem to have forgotten Bridcutt!Pass them to death sideways and backwards.

You mean winning the ball through positional nous, interceptions, tackles, headers(!); recycling possession; dropping in to cover for marauding fullbacks thereby being central to our game plan. That Bridcutt?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Impressive. I do remember their style of course, I just didn't know their wages.

In 11/12 they finished 9th after making a net profit of £6.5m on transfers.

Theirs is a rare example though.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Fair enough. Giving up on Hughton after 6 games and thus missing the last 4 and a half seasons of 89 points, 93 points, promotion, Wembley and 2 seasons in the Prem league because “he won’t change “ is quite the protest.

I don't know what your political views are but lets assume that your a Tory and your view on the Mogg side but May gets in, although they have been your team for many years you don't vote for them because you would be wrong to support someone who is clearly a different view.

Surely that's what you do and I did.

Still, love the club I can't help it if Barber and Bloom want that negative football, but I can vote with my feet. Still cheered them on down the seafront as that was non paying. Until Hughton either changes his style dramatically or leaves i will not financially spend with the club.

It's my right as a customer and your happy to put up with zero value for money if you really want to.

If there’s a manager out there who can make Glenn Murray and Pascal Groß faster, Anthony Knockaert less volatile, Matt Ryan taller, fix José Izquierdo’s knee, stop Ali J and Locadia from being a bit shit and do it for what the Albion pay Chris Hughton then I’d say let CH go...but there’s no evidence to support that.

The football has been grim recently, but change isn’t the same as improvement, as we’ve seen inside and outside football. Fulham and Huddersfield are on their third and second managers of the season but that didn’t prevent relegation.

GM and PG were slow when Hughton signed them.
Ryan signed by Hughton and was short then!
Ali J and Locadia were also signed by Hughton
AK volatility drives the man.
JI has just been unfortunate that's football.

It's his job to get the best from the players HE signed them lets not keep blaming recruitment and budgets.

Ps I know some are said tongue in cheek.

.... but what you never do is provide a plausible alternative that can take the club forward faster. It's much easier to be critical than constructive and you go with the easier option.

I do not have the data and figures of who is available and the time to do this if the Albion are happy for me to consult on this and give me the resources and the pay I would be more than happy to do this.

The argument that there is no one better has to be the weakest debate of them all.

Can you explain all the managers that would be available and there must be loads and why you would not replace him with one of them?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You mean winning the ball through positional nous, interceptions, tackles, headers(!); recycling possession; dropping in to cover for marauding fullbacks thereby being central to our game plan. That Bridcutt?

A decent sitting midfielder before the move to Sunderland ruined his career.

It wasn’t his fault that in the Championship Poyet instructed him to then pass to Greer, then to El Abd or Dunk, in a relentless triangle, whilst opposition players broke out their cigars.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Still, love the club I can't help it if Barber and Bloom want that negative football, but I can vote with my feet. Still cheered them on down the seafront as that was non paying. Until Hughton either changes his style dramatically or leaves i will not financially spend with the club.

It's my right as a customer and your happy to put up with zero value for money if you really want to.

I thought you'd voted with your feet for the birthday shirt? You can't double protest!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't know what your political views are but lets assume that your a Tory and your view on the Mogg side but May gets in, although they have been your team for many years you don't vote for them because you would be wrong to support someone who is clearly a different view.

Surely that's what you do and I did.

GM and PG were slow when Hughton signed them.
Ryan signed by Hughton and was short then!
Ali J and Locadia were also signed by Hughton
AK volatility drives the man.
JI has just been unfortunate that's football.

It's his job to get the best from the players HE signed them lets not keep blaming recruitment and budgets.

Ps I know some are said tongue in cheek.

I do not have the data and figures of who is available and the time to do this if the Albion are happy for me to consult on this and give me the resources and the pay I would be more than happy to do this.

The argument that there is no one better has to be the weakest debate of them all.

Can you explain all the managers that would be available and there must be loads and why you would not replace him with one of them?

I thought it was because you didn't get a freebie shirt?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here