Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hughton has given us some wonderful moments and memories.

Ok so we've had an absolute shocker for 4 months but he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Bad start next year then big questions

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
if he stays then we are going to be in the same position next season for the reason that he wont change his tactics

Except he very clearly changed his tactics at Christmas??
Didn't work and now seems to be changing back.
He also changed tactics from Championship to Premier League.
He even changed tactics 3 times during Saturdays game alone!
If you're going to criticise him for something at least pick something that is true.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
The way he set up the team poorly, rectified it tactically but didn't change the player until half time thus nullifying his own tactical solution, then when he did make a change and it turned the game, he then switched the player who'd changed the game to the opposite side of the pitch where he's substantially less comfortable.

Plus, Gross as our right sided midfielder; anyone that makes that tactical choice deserves to be sacked, particularly when you ask the guy to play essentially as a right full back for 45 minutes.

I wonder if Ingolstadt sacked their manager then? He played here for half his games in Germany and created more chances than anyone else in the league.
Fans had been crying out for 2 up top but there is no natural way to fit Gross in the same team as Murray and Andone. He tried something - it didn't work so he changed it.
In terms of March moving to the left I think the issue is that we have no natural left winger other than Jose (who does not look fit) - This needs to be addressed in the summer imho.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree that we need to look at the bigger picture, over the course of a full season.

Sadly, the big picture is that we got off to a magnificant start, then hit a poor patch. Our manager not only failed to pull us out of the poor form, but we spiralled into even worse performances to the point that we weren't even getting shots on goal over numerous games, losing convincingly against teams around and below us. Whichever way you look at it, it's not good enough. CH is not good enough.

That is for Tony Bloom to decide.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I wonder if the solution might be some new coaches, even an assistant. Assuming Bloom likes Hughton and the general class he brings to the club.
Feels like we do miss the thunder of Calderwood and the nous of a decent attacking coach.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the Premier League very little. In the lower leagues we were that side under Poyet along with Rodgers at Swansea.

Poyet - spot on.
Rodgers - his team played positive attacking football with Britton, Dyer and Sinclair marauding forward, run by Joe Allen. The price was an imperfect defence leaking goals, but attractive football to watch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if the solution might be some new coaches, even an assistant. Assuming Bloom likes Hughton and the general class he brings to the club.
Feels like we do miss the thunder of Calderwood and the nous of a decent attacking coach.

Calderwood has been mentioned before but we got promoted after he left, so he isn't the answer.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I agree that we need to look at the bigger picture, over the course of a full season.

Sadly, the big picture is that we got off to a magnificant start, then hit a poor patch. Our manager not only failed to pull us out of the poor form, but we spiralled into even worse performances to the point that we weren't even getting shots on goal over numerous games, losing convincingly against teams around and below us. Whichever way you look at it, it's not good enough. CH is not good enough.

Unless you look at it as probable survival and an FA cup semi final at Wembley - because that for me is "good enough".
It's clear we have had a shocking run of form but that wasn't a surprise - look at the staying up tracker, we were always predicted to have a bad run. What wasn't predicted was how this would have affected our confidence and that we would suddenly be so poor at home.
It's all relatively small margins though. Had we beaten Bournemouth and either Cardiff or Saints we would be on 41 points in 14th place. Of course we didn't win and played appallingly but I don't think CH deserves to be sacked for such small margins.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Has anyone ever had a debate on here and actually changed their mind based on what someone else has said? Bloody pointless getting involved.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
In the Premier League very little. In the lower leagues we were that side under Poyet along with Rodgers at Swansea.

:lolol:You seem to have forgotten Bridcutt!Pass them to death sideways and backwards.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Instead of the simple mantra of 'Hughton out' I challenge those who repeat it to name a realistic replacement who can take the club forward any faster than CH. Be careful what you wish for.

Speaking of Mantras...yours get trotted out frequently whenever Hughton Out gets mentioned-not always by you, granted.

We have a couple of very well paid-VERY WELL PAID-'executives whose job that is. It isn't for fans and supporters to name a replacement for an incumbent manager. I just hope that they (executives) have been very busy looking.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone ever had a debate on here and actually changed their mind based on what someone else has said? Bloody pointless getting involved.

A few positive performances can make me change my mind. Fickle, Moi?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I am a Hughton supporter, I am not liking the style of football we are playing or do I like the wave of Hughton out sentiment that has come to the forefront. However I think all supporters have their views and it is very understandable fans want a change of direction. I think we should stay with CH but would not be surprised if he moves on. Has anyone thought he may decide to quit in the summer if he believes he will not be given the appropriate budget to save us from struggling next season?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A few positive performances can make me change my mind. Fickle, Moi?

I think most are the same really. I'm a little bit on the fence. My logic says stick, my emotion right now is pissed off and wants change.

The way I process it in my head is I remember how utterly dire we were away at Leicester in the first away game of last season and thinking to myself how tough the step up was going to be. I think over time Chris his slowly built up the team's confidence, harking back to last season, but even that home loss to Chelsea we came away from feeling a sense of we can actually compete with these top sides. To a point where our home record was fantastic with only Leicester outside the top 6 having beaten us and looking fairly safe in mid-table until the recent collapse?

There were a few moans here and there but the vast majority of us were happy until a month or so ago. It's all fallen apart very, very quickly. The players look like they've lost their confidence and for me the job now is to build that back up again. Something that games like Wolves/Spurs away will do where we start to get that self belief that we can defend very well and build from there. If Chris can build up the players confidence again, I think we're probably better off sticking because they know him, they know the system, we're building and recruiting players into that system. A new guy might be a bit different and you get so little time to learn a new way of playing in the Premier League, the games you lose whilst adapting can be so fatal. The fear though is if Chris has lost the players, if he can't pick them back up, the longer we keep him the harder it'll be for a new guy to come in and put his stamp on the team.

So I'd keep him. I think all you hear about his calmness will get the group back on track. I'd also really bloody love to shut the Norwich fans up again who went very quiet this season until the past month when they all of a sudden feel vindicated again in berating him. I really do hope he can pick them up though because a season of football that replicates this past month would be unbearable.

Ah bollocks, look what you did, tricked me into getting involved. :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here