Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton says.......

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Same pitch for both teams (gutted)

But if your used to it like the Blackpool team then surely that makes a difference. Its very similar to many years ago when QPR were one of the only teams to player on artificial grass and visiting teams without the experience struggled on it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
But a good pitch always pushes the advantage towards the team of better players. Imagine a sunday league side playing Chelsea. In mud they could probably keep the score down to 5 or 6 - 0. On a perfect pitch it'd be in the 20's.

YOu think a Sunday league team could keep CHELSEA down to 5-0 on a crap pitch? Really?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No way will get any more perm signings until the summer. Why would we? We are not going to do anything this year. Summer clear out and bring in new players at a sensible price. Maybe get a loan or 2 to help keep us up.

That's right, the transfer window slams shut in a couple of days anyway. Maybe some of us were beginning to get rather carried away, some people were even talking about the playoffs! The one thing that matters this season is simply staying in this division. If we all just concentrate on that one target, then l'm confident we can be successful.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Talking of bad ref decisions, was any mention made of the handball against us about halfway through the second half? It looked clear from the away end.

As for the pitch. Playing any sort of passing football on it looked very hard, which severely restricted out options. It was definitely a leveller. Fortunately, we can be confident that surfaces like that are few and far between at this level.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Complacent. We are now 2 points above the drop.

No, not complacent at all but realistic. The chances of getting quality, in our position at this time of season is extremely doubtful. Are we going to be able to sign anyone permanately that will enhance our squad now? Anyway I would have thought that you will have every faith in CMS scoring the goals to keep us up!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Talking of bad ref decisions, was any mention made of the handball against us about halfway through the second half? It looked clear from the away end.

As for the pitch. Playing any sort of passing football on it looked very hard, which severely restricted out options. It was definitely a leveller. Fortunately, we can be confident that surfaces like that are few and far between at this level.

Maybe we should have started with Halford instead of JFC and played to the conditions. We clearly needed to do something different in this game but we set up as normal.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, not complacent at all but realistic. The chances of getting quality, in our position at this time of season is extremely doubtful. Are we going to be able to sign anyone permanately that will enhance our squad now? Anyway I would have thought that you will have every faith in CMS scoring the goals to keep us up!

We managed to sign Kayal on a perm didn't we?

I've backed CMS to be given a chance playing off a target man, recognising that he may or may not succeed in that role in this league. Why the cheap shot again?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
We managed to sign Kayal on a perm didn't we?

I've backed CMS to be given a chance playing off a target man, recognising that he may or may not succeed in that role in this league. Why the cheap shot again?

Yes we did sign Kayal, let's hope he improves the side! However realistically we won't sign another perm player and will concentrate on avoiding relegation from now on. If we succeed we will then be able to give CH the time and money to shape his squad and off load some of those out of contract and Hyppia and Burke's dross and bring his own players. As a manager he will have more chance of attracting quality in the summer then in our current position.
Sorry I thought you were holding all hopes out on CMS after reading your comments earlier! Personally I think he has been extremely disappointing and will be off in the summer to a league one or two club for nothing. Shame as he try's hard but has proved that he is is mediocre at this level.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've been saying all week that we wouldn't win this one, Blackpool coming off the back of a good hiding, and a ploughed field for a pitch, just wish I'd put money on it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think our best possibility of anybody coming in is an unattached player either here or abroad on a short term contract to end of season but cant find any list of such players on the internet, similar to what we were looking at with Allou Diarra during SH time and possibly Ameobi before he joined Palace.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes we did sign Kayal, let's hope he improves the side! However realistically we won't sign another perm player and will concentrate on avoiding relegation from now on. If we succeed we will then be able to give CH the time and money to shape his squad and off load some of those out of contract and Hyppia and Burke's dross and bring his own players. As a manager he will have more chance of attracting quality in the summer then in our current position.
Sorry I thought you were holding all hopes out on CMS after reading your comments earlier! Personally I think he has been extremely disappointing and will be off in the summer to a league one or two club for nothing. Shame as he try's hard but has proved that he is is mediocre at this level.

The bit I don't like about the sometimes vitriolic anti-CMS brigade is that, IMHO, they don't recognise that we have hardly ever played to his strengths, if at all, so I still say it's hard to judge whether he can play well at this level. That said, he has had a bad injury, so his pace, which he relies on, may not come back to what it was. Who knows?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe we should have started with Halford instead of JFC and played to the conditions. We clearly needed to do something different in this game but we set up as normal.

In hindsight, his extra aerial presence and the long throws would've given us something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here