Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton Out

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Last season we ran out of fit players. We Lost Crofts, Stephens, Ulloa and KLL for a bit, Orlandi for most of it, Buckley in and out, and March went after the Hull game. After a good performance in the 1st leg of the playoffs we did well, but the second leg the injuries took over live on the pitch.

Sami's system was the right one for this league, but the players let him down. Do we wrap the players up in cotton wool for their pay, or try and get more out of them until they learn and become fitter?

As you say it takes more than one season, but didn't that apply to Hyypia as well?

The alternative view re the system is that we don't have the players to make it work but Hyypia stuck by it when it was clear he should change. That's my opinion

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Really?

Playing full backs so high up the pitch that when the opposition got the ball and broke we were picked off with ease. The players didn't understand it, let alone know how to implement it.

Playing Gardner and JFC in front of Ince was completely bizarre, and when KLL got on the pitch he was
played central.

Hyypia was an honourable guy and a nice bloke, but without doubt the most clueless manager we've even had.

We didn't have much choice but to play JFC and Gardner, and KLL blows hot and cold wherever he plays.

He set up to play a Bournemouth type system with wing backs. If the players couldn't understand it they shouldn't be playing football. It was always player errors though misplaced passes and lack of control that cost him, not the system.

It doesn't really matter anyway but it is now on Hughton to hit the ground running next season and I will let him do the talking on the pitch.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The alternative view re the system is that we don't have the players to make it work but Hyypia stuck by it when it was clear he should change. That's my opinion

Of course we can have alternative views, but I don't think Eddie Howe ever pampered to the players to make it easy for them. It is down to the players to raise their game, not for the manager to make allowances for them, otherwise no one learns anything.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We didn't have much choice but to play JFC and Gardner, and KLL blows hot and cold wherever he plays.

He set up to play a Bournemouth type system with wing backs. If the players couldn't understand it they shouldn't be playing football. It was always player errors though misplaced passes and lack of control that cost him, not the system.

It doesn't really matter anyway but it is now on Hughton to hit the ground running next season and I will let him do the talking on the pitch.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

It want just misplaced passes, it was a system that was so easy to play against. They weren't playing as wing backs they were playing as wingers.

You say we didn't have much voice but to play JFC and Gardner, yet Ince sat on the bench.

He was clueless.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sorry, but you're wrong.

It want just misplaced passes, it was a system that was so easy to play against. They weren't playing as wing backs they were playing as wingers.

You say we didn't have much voice but to play JFC and Gardner, yet Ince sat on the bench.

He was clueless.

Bloom was happy for him to stay, and that is good enough for me. Unless you are saying that Bloom is clueless ???

I think we should just agree to disagree and come back to this next season.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Bloom was happy for him to stay, and that is good enough for me. Unless you are saying that Bloom is clueless ???

I think we should just agree to disagree and come back to this next season.

Do you really think Tony has a clue about running a football club,like most rich chairman he does not,but unlike successful football chairman he has failed to back the one decent manager that he managed to sign, Gus.Look what the cherries have achieved purely by backing the most important man at any club , the manager. look at what United achieved under the wanker Fergie

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really don't get your point. Nobody is dressing it up. It's been very poor. But it was much, much worse under Hyypia. If you think otherwise, you're either Sami himself or missed the first half of the season.

Or, you're not prone to exaggeration.

22 games each.

6 hughton wins v 3 hyypia wins is the biggest difference. But the other games count too.

6 draws v 10
10 losses v 9
11 goalless games v 8 (at least goals scored)
0.82 goals scored per game v 1
1 goal conceded per game v 1.36
1.09 points per game v 0.86
1 point against the bottom 4 v 5 points against the bottom 4 (would 47 points have been enough if Hyypia hadn't taken points off Blackpool, Rotherham and wigan?)
A couple of great games amidst a mass of disappointment v a couple of great games amidst a mass of disappointment.

Hughton was better, but only slightly. Not "much much worse".

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Do you really think Tony has a clue about running a football club,like most rich chairman he does not,but unlike successful football chairman he has failed to back the one decent manager that he managed to sign, Gus.Look what the cherries have achieved purely by backing the most important man at any club , the manager. look at what United achieved under the wanker Fergie

Tony Bloom is clueless when it comes to football.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's not always possible for a new manager to turn around a depressed (and goalshy) team. Maybe he pulled a masterstroke in saving us from the drop.

Let's see what he does to us over the coming months. He's already made some brave decisions in the contract business.

Don't just judge him on points per game. Another manager might have relegated us, for all we know. There has been nothing catastrophic in his reign thus far. He deserves a chance at least, no?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Tony Bloom is clueless when it comes to football.

This is why I personally wouldn't use him for anything grander than a substitute, around the 60 minute mark. At most.
Provided I even penciled him into the lineup in the first place.

It's a good thing his cheques don't bounce, though, isn't it?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with being critical especially when I am reflecting a view from the radio. Although this is a Hughton out thread, I am not advocating it, just saying that I am not convinced. I certainly haven’t been abusive to Hughton.

With all the stick and abuse Hyypia got on here I am also just pointing out the double standards of posters and reminding them that Hughton hasn't really done any better with the squad at hand. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember you being a bit OTT about Hyypia whilst thumbing me down for sticking up for him.

Enjoy your radio. I didn't go to Boro this season. Do people like you watch Brighton away or do you just listen to your radio?

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
This is where I am too. Got to give him some money, a summer window, a full pre-season and at least till Christmas to see whether he's going to cut it. Another unsettled summer would be a disaster (and whilst we created chances with more 'attractive' football under Sami, we would have gone down for sure)

I understand completely where your coming from. But what happens if were in the sh!t at Christmas. It will be much harder to find a manger as the good ones will be in work and the rubbish will have been sacked and looking, which is who we would get. Then we are back here saying MR X has half a season to save us with a crap team etc etc the merry go round starts again. TB generally wont buy players in Jan so were back to loans agian.
IF Hughton is so good in the eyes of lots on here why has he not been able to get a similar response from the players that Nathan Jones did for two games?. IMHO it ment something to Jones and he passed that on to the squad. Hughton like Hyypia does not look to interested on the side of the pitch, his tactics are boring and he can not raise the players, his half time talk proves that as we generally get worse after Watford springs to mind.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
new , quality cb x1, lbx1 , rb x1 , another creative midfielder , one or two decent strikers........our main problem has been lack of goals and let's face it , if the players can't motivate themselves then any manager is going to struggle.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oscar did one hell of a good job for us. You have to lose someone before you miss them.
I quite like this changing manager mid-season malarkey. Hughton should have until early December to prove himself. If that doesn't work out, get Nathan in for a few games, see if that works out and, if not, get a replacement in before the new year for the January transfer window.

There is a lot of knicker wetting on here about not changing managers again. Watford changed theirs four times last season, which puts the perceived drama about changing managers into perspective.

I think TB has fecked up again in his manager choice but we are stuck with him now as he wouldn't sack Hyypia, so he is not going to sack Hughton having bored us to survival is he?

I expect us to buy more late bargains and be mid table at best next season. I also expect us to be bored to tears watching it.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Hught 0 n will last until late October I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here