Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hughton IN

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tend to agree with most of this although I would suggest that Arsenal's superior players were the reason we were pegged back but we did break with pace a couple of times and a slightly earlier pass to the player in space might have resulted in goal. Also, agree about Hughton. He has two completely free hits in yesterday and next week but when the pressure is on for points, like it has been for some time, he will revert to what he knows (and unfortunately believes) is the best way and that is ultra defensive.

With reference to your first paragraph..we wouldn’t be the only team to either sit deeper or be pegged back by the opposition...we still maintained a threat whilst doing so

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With reference to your first paragraph..we wouldn’t be the only team to either sit deeper or be pegged back by the opposition...we still maintained a threat whilst doing so

I agree. I don't think we can ever dictate the play against one of the big clubs because of the quality of most of their players. The difference yesterday, as opposed to Spurs, was that we did threaten when we went forward. Our penalty was won because Solly broke quickly and, unlike on many occasions in the previous games, kept going.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because we have had far more injuries than last season.
We have had the distraction of the FA cup semi final.
We have started competing away from Home
We are far more competitive against the top 6.

Out of interest, how many of the 19 away games this season have you been to?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking at the season, the 2 games before the cup semi-final and the 2 games after it is where it all went wrong. Albeit after a couple of warning tremors v Fulham and Burnley.

No coincidence - eyes were taken off the ball badly at semi-final time. Hughton must take some responsibility for this. Although, it's not like the club as a whole have had much experience of dealing with semi-finals.

So, I don't think it is fair to lay mountains of blame with Hughton - he found the answers when the chips were down.

2 midfielders, 2 strikers, a winger ( as Izzy is injured ), and a right back ( even if Bruno stays ) please. I assume Pröpper and Locadia are off - which adds to the kitty.

It won't take more than this to take us up to the Bournemouth level.... if we get the recruitment right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Looking at the season, the 2 games before the cup semi-final and the 2 games after it is where it all went wrong. Albeit after a couple of warning tremors v Fulham and Burnley.

No coincidence - eyes were taken off the ball badly at semi-final time. Hughton must take some responsibility for this. Although, it's not like the club as a whole have had much experience of dealing with semi-finals.

So, I don't think it is fair to lay mountains of blame with Hughton - he found the answers when the chips were down.

2 midfielders, 2 strikers, a winger ( as Izzy is injured ), and a right back ( even if Bruno stays ) please. I assume Pröpper and Locadia are off - which adds to the kitty.

It won't take more than this to take us up to the Bournemouth level.... if we get the recruitment right.

Not much to spend then? 6 players and at what price to get quality? £17m on AJ so presumably you are expecting us to spend more than that on each player unless we're looking at getting some decent loan signings in.

It's all too easy to look back at the fixtures and blame the semi. One of the preceding games was away to Chelsea so did you really expect to get anything there. I also don't think the semi was to blame for the atrocious performances against Bournemouth and Cardiff. We had previously lost to Burnley at home. If anything, the performance in the semi should have lifted the players.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not much to spend then? 6 players and at what price to get quality? £17m on AJ so presumably you are expecting us to spend more than that on each player unless we're looking at getting some decent loan signings in.

I agree we need 5 or 6 to stay in the division without the stress and terrible football of this season and we (especially the fans) have got to get out of the lucky to be here mentality. That is going to take investment, and much better recruitment than some of the utter turd we have wasted money on. I'm sure Ashworth has been brought in to make sure we get them. This is our third season and we have to move forward. There is no reason that we shouldn't be aiming to get to the levels of Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, Watford, Leicester etc and I'm certain that is what TB wants.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It's all too easy to look back at the fixtures and blame the semi. One of the preceding games was away to Chelsea so did you really expect to get anything there. I also don't think the semi was to blame for the atrocious performances against Bournemouth and Cardiff. We had previously lost to Burnley at home. If anything, the performance in the semi should have lifted the players.
Yes, 6 players. If Pröpper and Locadia stay, then it is 4 - and money from their sales would have to fund the extra 2 incoming if they go.

The winger would be a loan, to replace Izzy while injured.

So that leaves 3 to fund - a CM, a striker, and a right back - should be do-able.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If it's "confirmed after this performance" then you're like the blown by the wind Hughton in/out fans who change opinion emotionally with every game.

Look at the big picture, look over the last 20 matches. Yesterday's performance was better with no pressure. But what about when the pressure was actually on?

I’ve always been behind Chris and think he’s the best man for the job but yesterday confirmed those thoughts.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
sutton2.jpg

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Today’s performance backed up my thoughts fore the rest of this incredibly tense run in that Hughton is very much the man to take us into next season. A fantastic performance, the players are still very much behind him as are the board, learn from our mistakes this season and another season of EPL football to look forward to.

:clap2:

He won't keep it up, so I'm firmly in the OUT crowd.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yes, 6 players. If Pröpper and Locadia stay, then it is 4 - and money from their sales would have to fund the extra 2 incoming if they go.

The winger would be a loan, to replace Izzy while injured.

So that leaves 3 to fund - a CM, a striker, and a right back - should be do-able.

Brighton need more than three - 2 strikers, a CM and a midfielder with a lot of pace - and two full backs would probably be a good idea too.

I am not a fan of free agents - but maybe Leighton Baines.

I am sure there will be plenty of 'who to sign' threads popping up mow.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
There is no reason that we shouldn't be aiming to get to the levels of Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, Watford, Leicester etc and I'm certain that is what TB wants.

And I would put a bet on one of them being in a relegation battle next season. Burnley were in the drop zone on Christmas day - then won 5 and drew 3 of the next eight - then lost the next four to drop to 17th and then won three in a row to get to safety 2 weeks ago.

boik

There's been some dull football, its definitely been poor and Bournemouth/Cardiff were shockingly bad performances this season (although Bournemouth wasn't dull ! just horrible) . There was last season as well.
But really ? The "dullest football the PL has seen in years" . Hardly.

I can't afford to go to many games now, so last one I went to was Watford. Certainly wasnt dull and we pretty much battered them for 90 minutes only to be denied by Foster. Watched the Fulham match and again, first half we completely dominated and 4-0 wouldnt have been unjust. We can play well under Chris, but my big concern is that we don't have a real leader on the pitch. We often start well, then tail off, go in at half time, come out fired up and then tail off again. Think Chris needs a shout bullying general on the pitch, along the lines of Roy Keane, John Terry, or more realistically, nobby Horton.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
And I would put a bet on one of them being in a relegation battle next season. Burnley were in the drop zone on Christmas day - then won 5 and drew 3 of the next eight - then lost the next four to drop to 17th and then won three in a row to get to safety 2 weeks ago.

So you picked the worst of the bunch and Burnley hit the 37 point safety mark with FIVE games to go. That is more than reasonable and significantly better than us. They also took six points from us and enjoyed European football.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Really? Is it the recruitment team that send a team out not to concede and to try and 'nick' a goal. You have to compare the team that played yesterday with the teams that have been coming out for the last 3 months with the shackles on! Bissouma is an absolute star yet he comes in one week and gets dropped the next.

In the last 3 months ( since Watford ) Bissouma has started 8 out of the 13 games, and been subbed on for 3 of them. (24 mins, 39 mins and 41 mins).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Brighton need more than three - 2 strikers, a CM and a midfielder with a lot of pace - and two full backs would probably be a good idea too.

I am not a fan of free agents - but maybe Leighton Baines.

I am sure there will be plenty of 'who to sign' threads popping up mow.

Only BensGrandad can make decisions on Left Backs - How dare you try and step into his shoes just because you seen on one of his posts that he is on holiday at the moment - Boooooooooooo

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The big question for me is can we trust CH with five or six new signings next season? Jury is massively out for me.
It doesn't matter whether you trust him or not, it's not up to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here