Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton delighted with window

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Someone made a very important point yesterday (sorry, I don't recall who it was). From next season 'emergency' loans will not be allowed, so teams will have to rely upon squad depth and their dev squads to cover for injuries. Our DS this season has been pretty disappointing, sitting bottom of the league. We need to bring in more quality, players who ARE pushing for 1st team / bench places, and raise the overall quality of the DS squad.

These players hopefully will do that - and they all will be potential 1st team players down the line, and capable to stepping up.

Of course, ideally, we'd like to develop players from much younger age groups, but with the Academy still only a few years old, that will take time to bear fruit, and I'm sure it will.

Could this be down to the manager/coach Simon Rusk ? Maybe now is the time to look at alternatives ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Could this be down to the manager/coach Simon Rusk ? Maybe now is the time to look at alternatives ?

It could of course - for such a top notch academy we need to best coaches - Rusk may be in that bracket, I don't know.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Someone made a very important point yesterday (sorry, I don't recall who it was). From next season 'emergency' loans will not be allowed, so teams will have to rely upon squad depth and their dev squads to cover for injuries. Our DS this season has been pretty disappointing, sitting bottom of the league. We need to bring in more quality, players who ARE pushing for 1st team / bench places, and raise the overall quality of the DS squad.

These players hopefully will do that - and they all will be potential 1st team players down the line, and capable to stepping up.

Of course, ideally, we'd like to develop players from much younger age groups, but with the Academy still only a few years old, that will take time to bear fruit, and I'm sure it will.

Some good points there, Papa. You have increased my optimism and decreased my cynicism, so thanks for that!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am reasonably satisfied with the business we have done but like any thing it could have been better or even worse but did anybody expect CH to say any different? We can say it as it isnt our job that is on the line but he can hardly offer any criticism of his boss or staffs dealings.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am reasonably satisfied with the business we have done but like any thing it could have been better or even worse but did anybody expect CH to say any different? We can say it as it isnt our job that is on the line but he can hardly offer any criticism of his boss or staffs dealings.
We wouldn't expect him to start slagging off his team or boss, but he couldn't have simply said something like 'the money was available and we worked really hard to bring in more, but January is the hardest time to bring in the sort of quality we're after' etc.

With the talk of the money available for a striker I'm a little disappointed, but still happy with what we have done.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....

It could of course - for such a top notch academy we need to best coaches - Rusk may be in that bracket, I don't know.

Don't forget to take into account the U21's were playing in League 2 South against similarly skilled teams. Due to the Category 1 Elite Football Performance Centre, they're now playing against Premier League opponents such as Arsenal, West Ham, Stoke, etc, so they may not appear to be as good as they used to be. It's a huge step up for them and hopefully they'll rise to the challenge.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

I agree , its alright having the best this and that facilities so therefore in the top league but at some point our poor results at U21 level must come under some scrutiny as with any other level of sport , we seem to be getting worse at this level rather than improving so somethings not right somewhere .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here