Hughton delighted with window

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sidwell
Knockaert
Skalak

with Bong and Liam to come back in as full backs. Gotta be positive about that really.

Have to say this, plus a fully fit Kaz, Wilson and Baldock up front and Uwe and GG as cover at the back makes the squad look pretty damn good. Think there are goals all across the front line so really not too concerned that we haven't spunked 10-12m on a single player that might or, more likely, might not have scored every game. Nothing to fear in this division with this squad - just hope our horrendous run of injuries is over.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did we sign the Norwegian player?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I'm very pleased with the business that has been done - I think the squad has been improved and we've shipped out players that were not likely to play so have lost the burden of their wages and their new clubs will get them fit and ready to play when they come back. More than anything though I'm pleased with the end of this bloody transfer window so I don't feel the need to check for transfers every couple of hours:clap2:

Now all I have to do is feverishly track the "Springsteen to tour Europe " rumours obsessively so my workload has been halved !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just look at the team we had with Gus in the first season back in the championship.. Finished 4 points outside of automatic promotion(better goals for/against) and our top scorer was CMS with 11 goals... If we can get Zamora, Hemed, Wilson, Baldock, LuaLua and Knockaert all to chip(I believe all capable of 7-10+ each) in we won't necessarily need anyone else. That's not to say I wouldn't be happy if we got a proven championship goal scorer in, I just think it is possible to do without one.

Without being pedantic, I'm pretty sure we didn't finish 4 points off auto promo in our first season back - we came 10th or 11th I think. But yes I think the squad is probably stronger now...

It was our second season that we came 4th & missed out by just two points. CMS had ruptured his Achilles part way through the season, so your point does stand. If our midfield & wingers can keep chipping in with goals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sidwell
Knockaert
Skalak

In the end, they are all signings that will improve the squad. Sidwell is not an inspired signing but is very much the sort of proven and experienced back-up central midfielder we need, Knockaert is a class player, and Skalak could yet prove to be our trump card.

It's also great news that we've temporarily shifted Ince and Manu off the wage bill to clubs where they will a) get game time and b) potentially do us some favours against our promotion rivals. It's also meant that there is presumably money there for the wages of the right loan signing should that player become available...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A very good transfer window for us I think. A big well done to CH and the club. Now for the 3 points against Brentford.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's also great news that we've temporarily shifted Ince and Manu off the wage bill to clubs where they will a) get game time and b) potentially do us some favours against our promotion rivals. It's also meant that there is presumably money there for the wages of the right loan signing should that player become available...

I would imagine that Sidwell, Towell, Knockaert and Skalak (as well as Ayunga and Bjordal) will also expect to get paid.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would imagine that Sidwell, Towell, Knockaert and Skalak (as well as Ayunga and Bjordal) will also expect to get paid.
Er, yes.

I thought my point was obvious, but apparently not (to you): the fact that he has temporarily off-loaded players who will be relatively well paid but contribute little to the first team will probably have helped Hughton's cause for bringing in a game changing loan signing should one become available .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When does the future begin? Still waiting for people to start emerging from the Development Squad. They go in, but they never come out......

Someone made a very important point yesterday (sorry, I don't recall who it was). From next season 'emergency' loans will not be allowed, so teams will have to rely upon squad depth and their dev squads to cover for injuries. Our DS this season has been pretty disappointing, sitting bottom of the league. We need to bring in more quality, players who ARE pushing for 1st team / bench places, and raise the overall quality of the DS squad.

These players hopefully will do that - and they all will be potential 1st team players down the line, and capable to stepping up.

Of course, ideally, we'd like to develop players from much younger age groups, but with the Academy still only a few years old, that will take time to bear fruit, and I'm sure it will.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So, will we stay 4-4-2 or we looking more like a 4-5-1 now?

Stockdale
Bruno Greer Dunk Ridgewell
Knockaert Kayal Stephens Sidwell Skalak
Wilson

Two things, I hope we stay 4-4-2, it has got us through a half season quite satisfactorily. I'd prefer to give Goldson game time as opposed to Greer, although I accept it probably won't happen. The future in my opinion, is definitely Goldson and Dunk.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Has anyone seen Jack Harper play this season? Wondering how far off he may be from breaking into the first team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here