Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] HRH Prince Philip has died

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you hate the royal family from your armchair, Philip or anyone else, stay away from these threads.

NSC has never been a free for all for your likes to stick your bitchy two pennies worth into a thread about someone who’s just passed away. Whether they be famous, an ex footballer or whoever.

You’re confusing NSC with twatter and Facebook.

Exactly. Well said.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you hate the royal family from your armchair, Philip or anyone else, stay away from these threads.

NSC has never been a free for all for your likes to stick your bitchy two pennies worth into a thread about someone who’s just passed away. Whether they be famous, an ex footballer or whoever.

Nailed it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I met Phillip on a number of occasions. Unsurprisingly arrogant, unforgivably rude and dismissive, and unashamedly racist. Condolence to his family but from personal experience a deeply unpleasant man.

Weird how you’re alone in your feelings and experience? They say he didn’t suffer fools - just saying! :)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I met Phillip on a number of occasions. Unsurprisingly arrogant, unforgivably rude and dismissive, and unashamedly racist. Condolence to his family but from personal experience a deeply unpleasant man.

I’m no Royalist, but really I don’t get why some folk like to take a pop at someone who’s just passed.

What you say may or may not be true. But comparing someone’s values from generations back to ours will always be confounding. It may be difficult to accept but your grandfather (and if not, certainly your great grandfather) very likely had racist traits, born from the ignorance of a long ago generation.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji106]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s an Internet message board in the grand scheme of things. Never understand why people get so precious about RIP threads.

Think you’ve read the room wrong Cheeky. Not quite sure how, you’ve been on here since 2003. And it’s the Duke of Edinburgh who’s died, not a celebrity cat. Sake...:ffsparr: :nono:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It’s an Internet message board in the grand scheme of things. Never understand why people get so precious about RIP threads.

RIP threads are a place to pay respects to the recently departed. That's why people get a bit precious when dickheads add their two pennorth. In this case, the departed is a man who gave his life in service to Queen and Country. A man who touched the lives of millions, 4 million plus alone who took the Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme. Most people with a shred of intelligence get it. Sadly you and Herr Tubthumper seem to lack that shred.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I’m no Royalist, but really I don’t get why some folk like to take a pop at someone who’s just passed.

What you say may or may not be true. But comparing someone’s values from generations back to ours will always be confounding. It may be difficult to accept but your grandfather (and if not, certainly your great grandfather) very likely had racist traits, born from the ignorance of a long ago generation.

My father was unquestionably a racist. “My generation” grew up to different values and modes of speech to today’s society.
Some of us changed as the world changed. Some didn’t

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Genuinely. can some of you not read?

If you want to discuss racism there are other threads.

If you want to score petty points against your NSC rivals, there are other threads.

If you don't like the Royals or didn't like the deceased, this is probably not the thread for you.

Ta.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RIP threads are a place to pay respects to the recently departed. That's why people get a bit precious when dickheads add their two pennorth. In this case, the departed is a man who gave his life in service to Queen and Country. A man who touched the lives of millions, 4 million plus alone who took the Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme. Most people with a shred of intelligence get it. Sadly you and Herr Tubthumper seem to lack that shred.

This - an entire lifetime of selfless public service (that won’t ever be repeated) - including 73 years supporting her Maj as her lesser (but incredibly important) half - belittled with a few cheap shots by a ***tish few.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My father was unquestionably a racist. “My generation” grew up to different values and modes of speech to today’s society.
Some of us changed as the world changed. Some didn’t

My grandmother was the same age as HRH.....she was (or said things that) what would now be termed ‘racist’ but had not a shred of genuine hatred of other races at all........different times.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In my youth, I dismissed him as a laughably out of touch racist toff.
However as I have got older I have had more sympathy for him.

There is a duty to be fulfilled by all of the royals in return for a ludicrously privileged position.
It seems that he got that aspect of the contract with the British People more than any of the other royals.

RIP

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

There is a duty to be fulfilled by all of the royals in return for a ludicrously privileged position.
It seems that he got that aspect of the contract with the British People more than any of the other royals.

RIP

He understood more than any other British Royal that a Royal family can be deposed pretty damn quickly if you’re not careful.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

RIP

More than any? More than many I'd agree with, but IMHO more than any is stretching it a bit too far - and I say this while still being firmly in the RIP Prince Philip, you had a good life and did a good job camp..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
More than any? More than many I'd agree with, but IMHO more than any is stretching it a bit too far - and I say this while still being firmly in the RIP Prince Philip, you had a good life and did a good job camp..

He modernised the Royal family. It was his suggestion to allow television for the coronation, and to do walkabouts meeting the crowds. The Queen even toned down her plummy accent under his guidance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He modernised the Royal family. It was his suggestion to allow television for the coronation, and to do walkabouts meting the crowds. The Queen even toned down her plummy accent under his guidance.

Yes - more than many .................... (not any).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here