Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How would you vote in a referendum to legalise cannabis in the UK?

Would you like to legalise cannabis in the UK?

• YES - Legalise Cannabis

Votes: 268 68.9%
  • NO - Remain Illegal

Votes: 121 31.1%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe they can also legalise whatever that GB News presenter was on? I’d be up for some of that.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If there was a referendum, i'd want to know exactly what would be implemented either way. A clear end goal, how, when, what. and the party in power cannot deviate or change from the plan. Set up a website which explains everything in detail

And there must be a clear majority of 60% or more

And all Politicians would be banned from campaigning or commenting outside parliament either way

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's fairly obvious looking around the world (Portugal, Canada and the USA most recently) that there is no medical, societal or criminal reason to keep Cannabis illegal. Given we are absolutely desperate for Tax income and it would lessen pressure on the collapsing Police and Judiciary services, I would have thought there is a very good case for it.

Of course nobody will put something so sensible in their manifesto though, in case it scares the Electorate :lolol:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I presume it was this mum who was interviewed on Radio Five this morning. I have enormous sympathy for her family and others in this situation. The boy was having 800 fits a day which was ending up with him becoming partially paralysed and hospitalised. Cannabis had stopped all that and he had been able to lead a normal life since. She claimed that the boy was costing the NHS £200,000 a year but if he was prescribed cannabis it was £30,000 (? Couldn't be sure as dog barked at that moment lol!). Personally I believe it should be legalised and not just to help families like this, but criminalising large numbers of people is pointless in an activity that is ostensibly taken at the individual's own risk and not apparently infringing on anyone else's source of income as the dodgy dealers would have to look elsewhere.
I meant the fact he is wearing a Palace shirt and an Albion hat!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's fairly obvious looking around the world (Portugal, Canada and the USA most recently) that there is no medical, societal or criminal reason to keep Cannabis illegal. Given we are absolutely desperate for Tax income and it would lessen pressure on the collapsing Police and Judiciary services, I would have thought there is a very good case for it.

Of course nobody will put something so sensible in their manifesto though, in case it scares the Electorate :lolol:
And it obviously would scare the electorate (or at least the swing voters that matter).

It's obviously the most sensible route to head down, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't partake at all. I'm sure a sensible law would also limit the use in public places (a bit like Scotland's public drinking laws) to minimise any wider nuisance as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I meant the fact he is wearing a Palace shirt and an Albion hat!
It's an improvement on heading to the garage at 1am in a Kangaroo onesie and straw hat for a steak slice and three Mars Bars.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’ve heard some grim reports from friends about the stench around the bar/restaurant areas of NY since legalization. They won’t go out there anymore. Should be illegal. Do it in your own time if you want to rot your brain but don’t inflict it on others.

I can't see why legalising cannabis would change the current laws governing smoking in bars or restaurants :shrug:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The old “where will it end argument”

What’s next is an entirely separate discussion.

Absolutely not.

The unintended consequences must be taken into account in any sane vote/ discussion on the subject.

I had several school friends/ associates who got into 'hard' drugs and 1 for 1, cannabis was their entry point.

Medical reasons, definitely no reason to not use it to help people. Recreational, not for me Clive. Plus I absolutely hate the smell, loath it, don't know why but I do and I don't have the same reaction to fags and booze.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because people reak of it and you have to walk through a haze when you arrive and leave restaurants. I’m only going on what I have been told is the New York dining experience since legalization.

Exactly the same as tobacco smokers :shrug:

I'm sorry but I'm really struggling to see any difference.

Absolutely not.

The unintended consequences must be taken into account in any sane vote/ discussion on the subject.

I had several school friends/ associates who got into 'hard' drugs and 1 for 1, cannabis was their entry point.

Medical reasons, definitely no reason to not use it to help people. Recreational, not for me Clive. Plus I absolutely hate the smell, loath it, don't know why but I do and I don't have the same reaction to fags and booze.

Without exception, everyone I knew who got into issues with 'hard' drugs started with tobacco and alcohol with some (admittedly the minority) skipping cannabis completely. There is no doubt that crossing the 'legal' barrier is a big step and it's an easier step onwards. Indeed one of the arguments for legalising cannabis has always been that it will take it out of the hands of the illegal drug gangs who will always try to sell harder drugs to anyone wanting cannabis.

And it may well be that you are far more used to the smell of alcohol and fags and that's why you don't loathe them. I remember going into pubs after the tobacco ban and the disgusting smell of stale beer from the carpets and urinal cakes from the toilets, because it wasn't masked by the stink of stale fags. I got over it though :wink:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely not.

I do not dispute it's a gateway to hard drugs...but so is alcohol. But every hard drug user started with cannabis is quite different to saying every cannabis user will turn to hard drugs. (I do not think you are saying this btw). I also agree the consequences do need to be discussed; I remember a poster spoke of how NYC has been transformed in some areas which are now filled with dopey pot smokers which not everyone wants. But, I do feel this is a debate for cannabis and cannabis alone, legalisaton of further drugs should be a seperate discussion around that category of drug...this is my point. I was a bit blunt with my where will it end comments, but it starts and ends with a discussion around cannabis and the impact of this one drug.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Because people reak of it and you have to walk through a haze when you arrive and leave restaurants. I’m only going on what I have been told is the New York dining experience since legalization.
In the US at the moment - and had the conversation about legalising whilst here… before visiting I would have said yes legalise and regulate in the UK…

However, having been here - it is the ease of access to buying it that causes the issues.

If the UK made it legal I think it would likely become the next vaping in picking up young smokers and part-time smokers - who wouldn’t be that fussed about smoking it (often) in the current scheme of things.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have you been out in NY since legalization? If not then I can understand why you would be struggling to understand.

It appears that I have very similar experience to yourself of the situation in NY,

I’m only going on what I have been told is the New York dining experience since legalization.

but I have been to Portugal, Austria, Croatia, Holland etc many times, so I have used that experience together with a bit of common sense :facepalm:

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It appears that I have vey similar experience to yourself of the situation in NY, but I have been to Portugal and Holland many times

So I have had to revert to common sense :facepalm:
What have I done to merit the facepalm ? I have simply reported what I have been told about the legalization in NY. It’s a reported opinion but as is often the case your style is to belittle any opinion that differs to yours which renders debate impossible. I’m sorry I don’t believe the right thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here