Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How would you vote in a referendum to legalise cannabis in the UK?

Would you like to legalise cannabis in the UK?

• YES - Legalise Cannabis

Votes: 268 68.9%
  • NO - Remain Illegal

Votes: 121 31.1%

• Total voters

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
war against drugs has been a spectacular failure. if you, as the government, have a substance which concerns you, why would you then ensure that criminal gangs have control of the marketplace. doesn't that seem a bit illogical? legalise asap.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The war on drugs has been irretrievably lost, and was never winnable. Both supply and demand have grown over the years. The market exists and is persistent across generations.

It’s an established business with established supply lines and distribution networks, that because of its prohibited status currently enjoys the perks of being tax-free with the benefit of not having to comply with any legislation relating to product quality, product safety, or employees rights. It’s the best business in the world atm, and I don’t doubt it’s lobbying in every way it can to ensure that the current situation continues.

Well it's an opinion that the war is lost.

Cigarettes are legal but there is an illegal trade in them. Alcohol is legal and there is an illegal trade in it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31148413

I just don't get why you think criminal gangs will just walk away if it becomes legal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All drugs should be legalised and controlled by the state, the war against drugs is not only being lost but actively encourages crimes against the person and property. Bad drugs destroy lives and state sold drugs could generate the income to fun rehabilitation and care.

Mostly this.

I thought I wouldn't feel like this when I was older (I'm 63) and I do recognise the concept of 'gateways'. However if someone, for example with 'low intelligence' and poor peer support is offered drugs by a mate then.....

Then making them illegal is irrelevant. They will do it anyway. Taxis run in the evening from Faversham station to Davington with gear from London (mainly coke) and have done since before I lived here (32 years).

But, yes, controlled by the state.I think the tricky bit is controlled by the state how, and sold to whom? Cannabis is easy [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] lives in Vancouver and is best placed to report on the impact of law-softening. No impact (from what I gather from my ex boss who lives there).

However, I am not sure how coke could be sold legally. It is a drug that turns a person into a cocky prick, and it will **** up your CV system if you take it too often. And ketamine will destroy your bladder. How could these drugs be sold legally to people who hadn't a prior addiction?

And of course, heroin. Smoked or intravenous? I would deffo buy some (the best suicide drug available - stash some just in case I get some horrible terminal illness).

Back to the OP question. Cannabis? Yes, legalize it. I'm with Dave Nutt on this one. The rest is more nuanced.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Well it's an opinion that the war is lost.

Cigarettes are legal but there is an illegal trade in them. Alcohol is legal and there is an illegal trade in it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31148413

I just don't get why you think criminal gangs will just walk away if it becomes legal.

The majority of drug users don’t want to be criminals, they want to get high.

I obviously have to guess at the exact percentage of the customer base that would choose legal over illegal sources, but I’m willing to wager most users would be willing to pay a slight price premium for:

a) having some certainty that they were taking what they thought they were taking.

b) having confidence in the consistent strength/effect of what they were taking

c) not having to risk being ripped off and then be in a situation where they had no recourse.

There will still be counterfeiters and imitation products like there are in any industry, but the vast majority of business will be conducted legally, taxed, and the money being funnelled to organized crime (at present 100% of one of the largest industries in existence) will be greatly reduced.

I understand how it can feel counterintuitive, but legalisation is the only sane path forward.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
back inmy youth we smoked our fair share, and some . . . most stuff was of a sensible strength and good quality . . . . that was dope, obviously imported

now all I aver smell is weapons grade skunk, which is 2-3 time stronger . . .that needs controlling.

there's a big difference between grinning stoned playing guitar, having a laugh, and being semi comatose/psychologically freaked out.

legalizing it would bring control, and an element of safety, aswell as income so I'm all for it.

happy to go and negotiate a trade deal with Morocco and head up the quality control dept if needs be.

Moroccan black not smoked that for years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Legalise.

However, I would make sure it’s only legal in certain settings.

Having visited a few places it’s legal the smell is everywhere and it’s not pleasant.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out of interest, do you think that as there are people that speed, speed limits on roads should be removed or, in view that there are still rapes, the law against rape should be repealed etc etc.

Also, how long after smoking cannabis do you think you should be allowed to drive?

Natural cannabis plants pre date the motor car by quite a lot.

I know I’m channeling my inner hippie here but surely something naturally occurring that relaxes individuals has a tight to be considered above vehicles that are basically killing the whole planet? No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Natural cannabis plants pre date the motor car by quite a lot.

I know I’m channeling my inner hippie here but surely something naturally occurring that relaxes individuals has a tight to be considered above vehicles that are basically killing the whole planet? No?

Are you smoking at the moment!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Are you smoking at the moment!!

Nope. I’m just asking why you think a plant should be illegal while a man made invention that’s literally killing the planet is still a regarded as either necessary or even a status symbol?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They legalized it here in Canada.

In the years leading up to legalization, it was commonplace to see and smell weed everywhere, almost as a protest sign/people ramping us their use in knowing legalization was coming soon.

Now, a couple of years post, barely see or smell it, im not personally a fan of smoking weed, but people should be able to enjoy it if it's their thing.
Alcohol is far more dangerous.

Legally, treat use similarly to alcohol. Must not drive under the influence, or turn up to work high etc.
It works here. :shrug:

To sum up, yes legalize it, im not personally a fan of it, but here's evidence that legalization works.

This is more or less what happened in New York. It was legalized recently and prior to that you could smell it everywhere. I remember skiing in Colorado where it had been legal for some time and there was a chain of weed stores called The Green Dragon. A few of us went in to have a look. Just like any other shop really but with a strict ID check when you entered. The guy on the door used to live in Brighton and said that trade was pretty brisk with a lot of folk on holiday from other States buying weed before they flew back. Lots of different types with very knowledgeable staff explaining various types and uses. None of it was cheap so somebody (as well as the government) is doing alright. I'd rather spend my hard earned on booze but whatever floats your boat

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
my line of work involves working with a lot of people with addiction issues

heavy alcohol misuse is far more damaging for your body (a long term serious alcoholic is often looking at a pretty unpleasant death) than most drugs out there, let alone cannabis. Not to mention the antisocial behaviour

the weed smokers on my caseload are a piece of piss compared to the drinkers. In fact I also have a few clients with severe ADHD who self medicate with cannabis. I notice a serious decline in their general presentation if they haven't smoked that day and compared with other ADHD medication it helps them function better than basically anything else. Their main issue is the cost

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Used to smoke it alot into my mid twenties. Not for me anymore, makes me anxious. But the Government could bring in hundreds of millions of pounds in revenue if it was legalised. Why give that money to criminals?

It makes sense, can't think why they wouldn't?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Does it matter either way? Police couldn't give a rat's arse and do nothing to stop people smoking it. Me and the Mrs even saw a couple of chavvy youths smoking a joint right in front of a police officer outside Churchill square and they said absolutely nothing.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Is seems that when walking past groups of teenagers you catch a whiff. Legalise it and start collecting the taxes. It would free up a fair few houses which have been converted

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nope. I’m just asking why you think a plant should be illegal while a man made invention that’s literally killing the planet is still a regarded as either necessary or even a status symbol?

Because it's a bizarre comparison. Also, I guess you are aware that stronger strains are cultivated specially.

As for cars, you are aware we are moving to electric in a few years!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes - as long as it remains a crime in certain circimstances - driving for example, or in charge of small children.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Catch whiffs all the time when out running…….doesn’t seem to help much, other than maybe making me eat more when I get home :shrug: Interesting though that it’s being trialled (stage one clinical trial) at the moment as a medication for palliative cancer patients (synthetic obviously, they’re not handing out spliffs in the hospice).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here