Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you feel about Dick's Bar being renamed?

How would you feel about Dick's Bar being renamed?

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have no feelings either way as I do not see or class it as a fans bar, just another bar in the ground. In fact I prefer to have a drink with my friends and family in the concourse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. But I'll express an opinion. And it will be based on the fact that Dick's Bar came into being, following what was a bit of a struggle at the time.

The original offer from the Club was that the new stadium would include a "Fan's Bar" that would serve real ale - not located in the main stadium, but adjacent to it. The Club would support this, but there was scepticism about the practicalities of keeping real ale in a drinkable condition. Senior Managers in the Club were also expressing the view that "You can have your Fan's Bar, as long as it isn't open on match days".

This proposed arrangement wasn't going to deliver what had been asked for. Words were spoken with a couple of Directors (Dick Knight and Derek Chapman) who were more supportive of the Fan's Bar concept than the Managers. I gather that the matter was then discussed by the Board, and the offer was changed. The location of the bar was changed, the real ale would be available on match days, and the establishment would be managed by the Club, with fans being encouraged to use the place for fan-led events, such as gigs, quizzes and other weekday evening events. Dick Knight was offered naming rights and the ambience and decorations in the bar reflect contributions made by fans over the years.

What we now have is what has grown out of those early (difficult) discussions. I would like to see the place retain the recognition that it gives to the fans' involvement in the struggle to win the stadium. The name "Dick's" is part of that. DK is still Honorary Life President of our football club. He fought the battles that we fought. I cannot imagine that there is ANYONE at the club who thinks the time has come to dump the memory of the link between Dick and the fans. Unless, of course, corporatism has completely triumphed over the "community stadium" concept.

In a small way, of course, a lasting memorial to "The Fans" who dared to ask for a real ale outlet (open on match days) is the fact that we were right and thousands of pints of the stuff are now sold throughout the stadium. But it's not just about beer. Dick's Bar is the legacy of the relationship between fans and the club which was built up from 1997 onwards.

That's why a signed Doncaster shirt was framed and donated to Brighton fans for recognition of their help when Donny were in trouble, a Welsh dragon from Wrexham donated for the same reason, and, as far as I know, Plymouth are going to send something. All of which are on display in the Fans Bar aka Dick's Bar.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It was Dick himself who chose the name because, for one, it sounded like 'Rick's Bar'.

Sadly, I think that point was lost on... almost everyone.

I'm sure you're right but I always imagined it was a play on Venice's famous Harry's Bar, which is what it could have been called anyway given the order of Mr Knight's Christian names.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Good idea. "Dicks" is a stupid name given the accusations about Brighton fans being poofs. I have nothing against it being called "Knights", it is a fitting tribute.

I've always thought that 'Knight's' would have been a better choice too.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Dick's is a bit bland, but a lot warmer than the concourses. The long awaited Museum next door should be ditched and all the contents hung on the walls:eek:
And get some bands in there :rock:

D

Deleted member 2719

I had the misfortune to be invited to Anfield last season for a europa game and we had a meal in their sports bar. The comparison in fixtures, fittings, and ambience at their place put ours to shame and it was really all down to a bit of thoughtful design and lighting.

Whoever developed or limited the budget for Dicks failed miserably.

I agree Dicks is a very poor design and also needs to be much bigger, i hope they revamp it soon.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Good idea. "Dicks" is a stupid name given the accusations about Brighton fans being poofs. I have nothing against it being called "Knights", it is a fitting tribute.

If people are worried about the homosexual connotations of the name, then perhaps it should be called something more hard, rugged and manly, like 'Iron Bar' ....oh

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Mrs Ziggy says that she likes Dick's. When I pointed out that she's never actually been there she replied, "Been where?".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Knight's Bar would far more worthy and appropriate than Dick's Bar. Ok Dick is called Dick but he is also called Knight and it seems someone in the marketing department had a laugh suggesting a Bar at the renounced theatre of everyone being homosexual would even suggest it was called Dick's. Barber's Brasserie or Blooms Bloomer's could be an option but for me if they change the name, apart from renaming it Knights is the day the club has really sold out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The new sign went up last night.

uploadfromtaptalk1372494573678.jpg

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
So many people seem to feel it's a bit 'gay', :nono: It's named for a very special man who's picture is up on the wall and it's used by mainly home fans who know that, who cares what other's think.
Is anyone actually embarrassed to say they are going for a drink in Dick's bar?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008

Exactly. The times when Dick was an innocent abbreviation went out with the word gay meaning something other than homosexual. It was always a poor choice to call it Dick's Bar. Always should have been Knight's Bar or similar,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here