Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you feel about Dick's Bar being renamed?

How would you feel about Dick's Bar being renamed?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why the hell would any of this occur to TB.

DK was vital in saving the Albion and TB has been vital in rebuilding it. Two very different chairmen for two very different eras and two very different challenges.

Just so TB knows exactly how the voice of the Albion would feel about it should it occur to him or be suggested :jester:

Are you going to vote Lord B, it's a public poll :wink:
No. But I'll express an opinion. And it will be based on the fact that Dick's Bar came into being, following what was a bit of a struggle at the time.

The original offer from the Club was that the new stadium would include a "Fan's Bar" that would serve real ale - not located in the main stadium, but adjacent to it. The Club would support this, but there was scepticism about the practicalities of keeping real ale in a drinkable condition. Senior Managers in the Club were also expressing the view that "You can have your Fan's Bar, as long as it isn't open on match days".

This proposed arrangement wasn't going to deliver what had been asked for. Words were spoken with a couple of Directors (Dick Knight and Derek Chapman) who were more supportive of the Fan's Bar concept than the Managers. I gather that the matter was then discussed by the Board, and the offer was changed. The location of the bar was changed, the real ale would be available on match days, and the establishment would be managed by the Club, with fans being encouraged to use the place for fan-led events, such as gigs, quizzes and other weekday evening events. Dick Knight was offered naming rights and the ambience and decorations in the bar reflect contributions made by fans over the years.

What we now have is what has grown out of those early (difficult) discussions. I would like to see the place retain the recognition that it gives to the fans' involvement in the struggle to win the stadium. The name "Dick's" is part of that. DK is still Honorary Life President of our football club. He fought the battles that we fought. I cannot imagine that there is ANYONE at the club who thinks the time has come to dump the memory of the link between Dick and the fans. Unless, of course, corporatism has completely triumphed over the "community stadium" concept.

In a small way, of course, a lasting memorial to "The Fans" who dared to ask for a real ale outlet (open on match days) is the fact that we were right and thousands of pints of the stuff are now sold throughout the stadium. But it's not just about beer. Dick's Bar is the legacy of the relationship between fans and the club which was built up from 1997 onwards.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No. But I'll express an opinion. And it will be based on the fact that Dick's Bar came into being, following what was a bit of a struggle at the time.

The original offer from the Club was that the new stadium would include a "Fan's Bar" that would serve real ale - not located in the main stadium, but adjacent to it. The Club would support this, but there was scepticism about the practicalities of keeping real ale in a drinkable condition. Senior Managers in the Club were also expressing the view that "You can have your Fan's Bar, as long as it isn't open on match days".

This proposed arrangement wasn't going to deliver what had been asked for. Words were spoken with a couple of Directors (Dick Knight and Derek Chapman) who were more supportive of the Fan's Bar concept than the Managers. I gather that the matter was then discussed by the Board, and the offer was changed. The location of the bar was changed, the real ale would be available on match days, and the establishment would be managed by the Club, with fans being encouraged to use the place for fan-led events, such as gigs, quizzes and other weekday evening events. Dick Knight was offered naming rights and the ambience and decorations in the bar reflect contributions made by fans over the years.

What we now have is what has grown out of those early (difficult) discussions. I would like to see the place retain the recognition that it gives to the fans' involvement in the struggle to win the stadium. The name "Dick's" is part of that. DK is still Honorary Life President of our football club. He fought the battles that we fought. I cannot imagine that there is ANYONE at the club who thinks the time has come to dump the memory of the link between Dick and the fans. Unless, of course, corporatism has completely triumphed over the "community stadium" concept.

In a small way, of course, a lasting memorial to "The Fans" who dared to ask for a real ale outlet (open on match days) is the fact that we were right and thousands of pints of the stuff are now sold throughout the stadium. But it's not just about beer. Dick's Bar is the legacy of the relationship between fans and the club which was built up from 1997 onwards.

Very interesting, thanks for posting that. The sentiments expressed in your last sentence are absolutely spot on.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I agree, although if I was DK I don't think I'd care too much if a bar was named after me or not, I'd know what I did for the club, the fact that it is still going is all I'd need to remind me of that.

It's just a shame Dick's bar is shit. It could be so good.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
To be honest, I never liked the name 'Dick's Bar' - 'Knight's Bar' might have been better, but perhaps not so informal.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I had the misfortune to be invited to Anfield last season for a europa game and we had a meal in their sports bar. The comparison in fixtures, fittings, and ambience at their place put ours to shame and it was really all down to a bit of thoughtful design and lighting.

Whoever developed or limited the budget for Dicks failed miserably.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
the 'poofs' jibe is responded to with cutting humour, especially on awaydays.......let it be, lovely irony

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Knights Bar would be more classy and would take away the opportunity for the usual predictable jokes. I put "Good Idea" for that reason but it is important to keep it in his name.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good idea from the point of view that I never liked the name in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here