Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to Overtake a Cyclist

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I look fantastic in Lycra! :)
Perhaps we can make time of a little chat soon :lol: :whistle: :smile:

So to me, he speaks sense. Helmets, or not wearing helmets, is not the reason why cyclists are in danger. Attitudes of other road users are the main problem.

In other words 'stop being a w****r'.

I looked for that as this thread popped up, but sadly the video seems to have been taken down.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Perhaps we can make time of a little chat soon :lol: :whistle: :smile:

In other words 'stop being a w****r'.

I looked for that as this thread popped up, but sadly the video seems to have been taken down.

Oi!

Yeah, that video was excellent - an Australian journalist appealing for more care and consideration from ALL road users, with humour and clarity.

Shame it's gone.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Take little pleasure from cycling on the road, about 2 in 10 don't give enough room.

On another point, amazes me around half cyclists don't wear a helmet, should be made law

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Take little pleasure from cycling on the road, about 2 in 10 don't give enough room.

On another point, amazes me around half cyclists don't wear a helmet, should be made law

Have you read all the thread? The bit about how making it compulsory in Australia has had such a negative effect on cycling?

You are right that too many motorists don't give cyclists enough room. But this is even more the case when cyclists are wearing helmets. Drivers seem to think that this makes the cyclist less vulnerable, and so not so much care needs to be taken.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Easily the best work of fiction I've read on here in such a long time.

Send this off to The Daily Mail, they'll have a job all ready for you.

You appear to dismiss others reports on a regular basis. Doubt if, once again, you feel the need to criticise, but these events did happen and I witnessed them and that's the truth.

I was simply pointing out that it's not drivers that who are exclusively in the wrong.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a cyclist, motorcyclist and car driver, why has Badfish decided to start a thread upon cycling, quoting UK websites, when he lives on the other side of the world?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Have you read all the thread? The bit about how making it compulsory in Australia has had such a negative effect on cycling?

You are right that too many motorists don't give cyclists enough room. But this is even more the case when cyclists are wearing helmets. Drivers seem to think that this makes the cyclist less vulnerable, and so not so much care needs to be taken.

Interesting used to live in Oz, it was hot at times. But I'd rather be hot than have a serious head injury

Not wearing a helmet is no different to not wearing a seat belt in a car, it a basic safety precaution. On or off road its common sense..

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks

Are you serious? Who, when driving, looks at a cyclist and then, either consciously or subconsciously, makes a decision to take a different course depending on whether or not they are wearing a helmet. Most of us see a cyclist and take the appropriate action.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've got a nearly full bingo card and I'm not even a cyclist. Quite saddened no one's mentioned what a load of drug cheats the professional ones are though. Whoops.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a biased and condescending video. It seeks to show how perfect cyclists are and that it's only motorist that should be educated and made aware of how to use the roads.

Club cyclist on the A27, all heads down and then the one at the front, with no thought, moves out to let the others undertake, jesus. Long column, 50 +, cyclist on A275 with no gaps to allow motorist to over take safely. Result long queue of cars, at 12 MPH and then frustration gets the better of on idiot and ..... Ignored expensive cycle tracks.

I used to enjoy riding a bike and understand a bikers perspective, but some of them, by their actions, do take their lives in their hands.

You appear to dismiss others reports on a regular basis. Doubt if, once again, you feel the need to criticise, but these events did happen and I witnessed them and that's the truth.

I was simply pointing out that it's not drivers that who are exclusively in the wrong.

Club cyclists riding as a train down the A27?
How unlucky, the only club to ever have rides on a major A road happens to hold you up.
Cyclists riding 2 abreast on a dual carriageway causes a problem?
It's a shame there's no room for imaginary cyclists on a dual carriageway.
50+ cyclists riding as one?
Were you actually in France, in July, when this happened.
Was there a lot of people at the side of the road waving at you.
50+ cyclists riding at 12 mph?
The longest and slowest train in cycling history Norris McWirther should be told.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How do you do it going south up to Ditchling Beacon, is it only when I am in a car that the cyclists have trouble getting up the road and wander all over the road thus making overtaking impossible. Sunday is the worst day for this.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
How do you do it going south up to Ditchling Beacon, is it only when I am in a car that the cyclists have trouble getting up the road and wander all over the road thus making overtaking impossible. Sunday is the worst day for this.

You wait for a moment where it is safe, and give the cyclist plenty of room. Your journey will be delayed by, at most, thirty seconds. Live and let live.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Today it took us ages to get up the hill as the idiots on their bikes couldnt keep them in a straight line so we were unable to overtake until well past the bus turn around. If they cannot ride them in a straight line simple get off and walk. On the way back from Brighton on the road fromj ujst outside by the road restrictors going towards Wivvlesffield a chap was cycling like mad but ket going around every lttle divot and pothole in the road again makung it dangerous for us and him to overtake. him.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Cyclists don't pay any road tax :moo:

I ride a bike and I pay road tax I also drive Class 1 (C+E) vehicles and anyone of those videos showing cars cutting up cyclists could be substituted for what happens to trucks. What a disappointing cavalier approach on here to a road safety video, has any of the postes on here seen a squashed cyclist laying dead in the road because of the stupidity of a car driver, a week after the death of Jonathan Ollivier, a top ballet dancer caused by a reckless driver, posters are mocking cyclists.
Its not just the cyclists that are affected by such accidents, those who cause them suffer from PTSS, as well as friends family and those who have to scrape them up from the road.
I'm sure all on here give horses and their riders plenty of space, but when it comes to cyclists its a different concept. The video should be applauded not mocked, very disappointed by the response on here.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He is quite evangelical about the fact that helmets are not a very important issue when talking about cycle safety. Holland, for instance, has a huge amount of cyclists, a negligible amount of helmet wearers, and the lowest rate of injury/death per mile cycled in Western Europe.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...esponds-criticism-decision-wear-helmet-142639

Yes. I have to disagree though as mine saved my life. Ordinary people pootling to the shops at 4mph probably don't need them, but anyone cycling on the road at speed? Yes.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

What do you do when there is a tractor, a horse, a school bus that stops on many occasions, a milk float, a dustcart, runners, a demonstration, a flood, road works, traffic lights, etc? Anything different?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here