Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to Overtake a Cyclist

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
What a biased and condescending video. It seeks to show how perfect cyclists are and that it's only motorist that should be educated and made aware of how to use the roads.

Club cyclist on the A27, all heads down and then the one at the front, with no thought, moves out to let the others undertake, jesus. Long column, 50 +, cyclist on A275 with no gaps to allow motorist to over take safely. Result long queue of cars, at 12 MPH and then frustration gets the better of on idiot and ..... Ignored expensive cycle tracks.

I used to enjoy riding a bike and understand a bikers perspective, but some of them, by their actions, do take their lives in their hands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am an occasional cyclist, but stay off the roads and do the undercliff routes, not really for transport more for a little bit of fitness and wellbeing.

I cannot fathom why any cyclist would use most of the roads, especially for me the Newhaven to Lewes Piddinghoe Road, the trust you have to put on to those driving closely by you must be fraught with danger.

Irrespective of who's right of way it is why would you trust your life with a young boy racer, a doddery old driver or a 'get to my next meeting' sales rep, you only need to get clipped and its not good news.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am an occasional cyclist, but stay off the roads and do the undercliff routes, not really for transport more for a little bit of fitness and wellbeing.

I cannot fathom why any cyclist would use most of the roads, especially for me the Newhaven to Lewes Piddinghoe Road, the trust you have to put on to those driving closely by you must be fraught with danger.

Irrespective of who's right of way it is why would you trust your life with a young boy racer, a doddery old driver or a 'get to my next meeting' sales rep, you only need to get clipped and its not good news.

Like most cyclists, I cycle that route often.

This danger you talk about...well, obviously you have to be careful, have to ride sensibly and be aware of what is around you. But I can't remember a single incident involving a cyclist being reported on that road.

Cycling is safer than most people would imagine. Yes, we have a higher death rate per miles cycled in this country than anywhere else in Europe, but it is still very, very low.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
wish the guy in his porsche yesterday had watched this...then he may not have knocked my uncle off his bike on the seafront yesterday and broke his collar bone! :(

honestly, i don't care how patronising or one sided the argument is, a car can do serious damage to a cyclist, it doesn't work the other way around, so although of course a cyclist should take responsibility for their behaviour on the road, no matter what nonsense you come up with, ultimately, if you don't take responsibility for the tonne of metal you're driving down the road, no one else can for you, and you risk being responsible for the cyclists demise. cyclists are vulnerable, no matter how much of a **** they might be, so sorry for the inconvenience, but you must take some responsibility for your behaviour when passing the ****, cause you could kill him.

you wouldn't believe how many motorists don't indicate as they pass, and i am frequently hit my wing mirrors.

i could ride like a complete ******** but i am only ever going to hurt myself or scratch something. you could kill.

when i ride my bike, all i ask is that motorists treat me with the extra bit of care, patience, and attention that i do pedestrians, simple as that.

say what you will about a cyclist, and their behaviour, its all irrelevant when you're in a tonne of killing machine and its their life you're playing with. you can only ever be in the right, and truly take the moral high ground if you stay away from them, and give them distance, then you can be as critical as you like.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Like most cyclists, I cycle that route often.

This danger you talk about...well, obviously you have to be careful, have to ride sensibly and be aware of what is around you. But I can't remember a single incident involving a cyclist being reported on that road.

Cycling is safer than most people would imagine. Yes, we have a higher death rate per miles cycled in this country than anywhere else in Europe, but it is still very, very low.

Hey thats good to hear and more power to you, but you just need to get clipped to be in trouble.

I acknowledge this is thankfully unlikely to happen, but I just know most drivers regularly have a 'void' moment taken us a foot or two nearer the gutter or the other lane before we adjust quickly, just seems a scary ride to me with cyclists at the complete mercy of drivers and many of those not the most skilled or aware.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He is quite evangelical about the fact that helmets are not a very important issue when talking about cycle safety. Holland, for instance, has a huge amount of cyclists, a negligible amount of helmet wearers, and the lowest rate of injury/death per mile cycled in Western Europe.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...esponds-criticism-decision-wear-helmet-142639

I notice this in Germany too, more cyclists and very few with helmets, or is that helmuts ........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a biased and condescending video. It seeks to show how perfect cyclists are and that it's only motorist that should be educated and made aware of how to use the roads.

Club cyclist on the A27, all heads down and then the one at the front, with no thought, moves out to let the others undertake, jesus. Long column, 50 +, cyclist on A275 with no gaps to allow motorist to over take safely. Result long queue of cars, at 12 MPH and then frustration gets the better of on idiot and ..... Ignored expensive cycle tracks.

I used to enjoy riding a bike and understand a bikers perspective, but some of them, e you by their actions, do take their lives in their hands.
Easily the best work of fiction I've read on here in such a long time.

Send this off to The Daily Mail, they'll have a job all ready for you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He is quite evangelical about the fact that helmets are not a very important issue when talking about cycle safety. Holland, for instance, has a huge amount of cyclists, a negligible amount of helmet wearers, and the lowest rate of injury/death per mile cycled in Western Europe.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...esponds-criticism-decision-wear-helmet-142639

He speaks a load of shite. Firstly, he tries to compare cycling as being just as dangerous as walking. I don't see many people walking on the road instead of the pavement (bearing in mind most cars don't venture onto the pavements) and most people don't walk at 10/15mph so if they do trip up, it does tend to happen, comparatively, in slow motion. Of course you could trip up walking and bang your head on the concrete but coming of a bike you tend to have more inertia and less time to adjust your body. As for saying it is not in his top ten of safety measures, so what. So it is at number 11 does that mean it is still not a safety issue? Does he have the same attitude to wearing a seat belt, or, if ever on a motorbike, a crash helmet? His attitude seems to be that they look a bit silly and therefore that discourages people from cycling. Has he ever really looked at all these cyclists in lycra, surely that would put a lot of people off riding a bike if they are concerned with how they look.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Adult cyclists who aren't full-on kinky MAMILs tend to act like they did last time they cycled. Which was doing a paper round aged about 12. They have no concept whatsoever of other road/pavement users. Many only took to the roads of Central London post 7/7. Tho their chances of being killed by a lorry are massively higher than being killed by a suicide bomber on the tube.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He speaks a load of shite. Firstly, he tries to compare cycling as being just as dangerous as walking. I don't see many people walking on the road instead of the pavement (bearing in mind most cars don't venture onto the pavements) and most people don't walk at 10/15mph so if they do trip up, it does tend to happen, comparatively, in slow motion. Of course you could trip up walking and bang your head on the concrete but coming of a bike you tend to have more inertia and less time to adjust your body. As for saying it is not in his top ten of safety measures, so what. So it is at number 11 does that mean it is still not a safety issue? Does he have the same attitude to wearing a seat belt, or, if ever on a motorbike, a crash helmet? His attitude seems to be that they look a bit silly and therefore that discourages people from cycling. Has he ever really looked at all these cyclists in lycra, surely that would put a lot of people off riding a bike if they are concerned with how they look.

I think I look fantastic in Lycra! :)

Most serious cyclists wear helmets, including me, and including him. The speeds involved make them both desirable and sensible, and I would feel naked without one.

But for people who just want to nip down to the shops, or the beach, park etc, and who don't cycle at speed, I don't think that they are necessary. They are mandatory in Australia and New Zealand, and this is discouraging people from using their bikes in this way.

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/bicycle_numbers.html

Studies have also shown that motorists give less room to helmeted riders, so increasing the danger on the roads.

In Holland, helmet use is almost unheard of, but the cycling death and injury rate is the lowest in the World.

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-dutch-dont-wear-helmets.html

So to me, he speaks sense. Helmets, or not wearing helmets, is not the reason why cyclists are in danger. Attitudes of other road users are the main problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here